God of War 4

I'm still trying to get a feel for the armor upgrade system. Are people generally upgrading what they have or going for stock statistically better sets?

I've been doing both...you seem to get plenty of Hacksilver so I have just been upgrading as able. Eventually more sets appear at the blacksmith, so you can build a new set and then upgrade it for awhile. It seems to be more dependent on if you want Strength, or Runic power, or whatever.

I've finally been able to dedicate 5-6 hours for the past couple days since I had a busy weekend.

I wasn't sure I would get used to the combat controls at first, mostly because throwing the ax mid-combat seemed awkward for a bit. But now I'm fuggin rocking it and it's pretty addicting; I can get through most hoards of enemies without being touched much or at all. Once I learned that you don't have to lock onto or even been looking directly at an enemy for Atreus' arrows to hit them, that helps a LOT. Also, for as cheap as the bow upgrades are, it has stayed almost maxed out this whole time as well, which also helps a lot. But LOL at OP for saying "As soon as I found out the game didn't have chain whips I kinda lost interest".. most petty reason to dismiss the game whatsoever. Just say you can't afford it right now and drive on, no shame in that and less embarrassing than digging up lame excuses like that.

As far as graphics, I think the character models and particle effects in this game are among the best, but I don't think the environmental details are quite as good as Horizon's. This is most noticeable when canoeing around the main area because the water kinda looks like a flat texture that doesn't interact much at all with debris or walls. Not that I really care much though; they're still great overall, I'm just catching up with your all's conversation from before about it. I've been switching back and forth between resolution and performance modes and think I like playing on performance mode better even though at times it's clearly dropping down under 40 FPS, it still seems pretty smooth for the most part and makes gameplay a bit more enjoyable during combat.

I'm still trying to get a feel for the armor upgrade system. Are people generally upgrading what they have or going for stock statistically better sets?

I upgraded my common stuff a time or two, but then have pretty much been finding or crafting new armor as it becomes available and occasionally swapping the talismans out on them as I acquire them too. My rational is I'd rather save the money towards newer/higher (potential) level armor later than upgrade what I have and still have to replace it later. It probably doesn't matter much either way you do it though, because for the higher end stuff you have to have more than Hacksilver to buy them anyways and I'll bet the best armor in the game is something you have to find/earn elsewhere. So if you have a crapton of Hacksilver to spend anyways, probably might as well upgrade what you have for the time being, I'm just a tightwad in general, hah.

So far the armor you get from beating Ancients seems to be the best - I have the recipes in the crafting menu but haven't defeated enough Ancients to have enough materials.

Then again, that is only Blue armor and I think there could potentially be Purple and/or Orange rarity. But I have no clue how far I am in the game so I don't know how much better it will get. Based on some of the upgrade stuff requiring 250+ Strength/Runic/whatever, and I have like, 50 max, it seems like there is much more to get.

Just opened my copy and played about an hour to the Norse godman that comes to challenge me in my house

First impressions. This isn’t God of War and I’m dissapointed. I feared they’d do this. I don’t want to babysit a bratty annoying kid. I want to be a God of War killing Roman Gods.

God of War is perhaps my favorite game series of all time. I didn’t want it to change. The recipe they had is what made it my favorite game.

The cameras too close. The combat controls seem off to me. The shaky cam thing almost makes me sick on my 144” projection screen. Attack is right triggers and right stick and L2? The shield seems goofy — unlimited block?? What? The kid’s dialogue is annoying and cliche. Kratos is unrecognizable. I’ll assume it gets better, based on the reviews, but I haven’t picked up the rhythm yet and after the first 1/2 hour or hour or what’lever it is —- I want my God of War 1, 2, and 3 back. :( Here’s hoping I start to enjoy the game.

Last edited:
I feel exactly the opposite to everything you mentioned. I could never stick with the old games for more then an hour or two. This game is one I will actualy finish.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Just opened my copy and played about an hour to the Norse godman that comes to challenge me in my house

First impressions. This isn’t God of War and I’m dissapointed. I feared they’d do this. I don’t want to babysit a bratty annoying kid. I want to be a God of War killing Roman Gods.

God of War is perhaps my favorite game series of all time. I didn’t want it to change. The recipe they had is what made it my favorite game.

The cameras too close. The combat controls seem off to me. The shaky cam thing almost makes me sick on my 144” projection screen. Attack is right triggers and right stick and L2? The shield seems goofy — unlimited block?? What? The kid’s dialogue is annoying and cliche. Kratos is unrecognizable. I’ll assume it gets better, based on the reviews, but I haven’t picked up the rhythm yet and after the first 1/2 hour or hour or what’lever it is —- I want my God of War 1, 2, and 3 back. :( Here’s hoping I start to enjoy the game.

Seems like you're reaching a bit here, but I understand even the best games aren't for some people. The only thing I can really outright contest here is that there's no babysitting whatsoever; the kid can't die (at least he's never been hurt in my 15 hours or so of game play now) and he can only help you in combat (which he's pretty much key to use in many battles). Everything else you complain about is all on you and your preferences, as you're literally the only person I've seen complain about those things across the countless reviews and comments I've seen about the game. The controls are definitely a bit different than other comparable games, but I got used to them pretty quickly still and don't find them a hindrance at all. IMO, the controls make more sense than any other common layout for this application, I think.

I definitely enjoyed the previous GoW games as well and definitely wouldn't have minded more of the same here, but having played through the Uncharted and The Last of Us games since then (pretty much my favorite games on Playstation), I'm absolutely loving this deep story and character integration they've brought to the series. That added to this revolutionized combat system (for this series at least) makes it strike a chord with me that no other game has that I can think of. It's an awesome combination of lauded game elements from other top games in this genre.

I'll give you a tip I've discovered myself as well; playing games on a large projection screen is actually considerably less enjoyable and immersive than playing on a larger computer monitor from only a couple feet away. I know it sounds awesome upon first thought, but after trying it myself I found that it was much harder to play games in general on my projector because I couldn't keep track of everything nearly as well because of all the head movement required to see from one side to the other. So I switched to a 43" 4K curved TV for my PC monitor (that I also play my console games at) and it was significantly more enjoyable and easier to track things, esp. in FPS and third person shooting/fighting games. I could actually probably go a tad smaller for the sweet spot since I'm only a couple feet away from it and still have to move my head a tad, but it's a near-perfect setup for gaming in general from what I've found at least. I have another friend who thought it was a good idea to bring his game consoles down to his man cave projection room, but he soon found he couldn't hang playing his games online with his friends as well as he could before on a smaller (but still largish) TV because he was much less precise in aiming.

Last edited:
Blades of Chaos...chain whips makes them sound underwhelming :)

OMG, i haven't played this since Saturday because i'm tired of this dumb axe. I'm going all in tonight.

I find the camera to be a hair too close to Kratos' back, but it's not that big of a deal. That along with some of the shaking effects leads to a more cinematic look like Gears and Tomb Raider. I like that, but it does impact gameplay a little. It definitely makes getting attacked from behind tougher to see.
Control-wise, once you get used to using the triggers (rather than the face buttons), it's hard to go back. Mainly because it allows you to manipulate the camera while attacking. It isn't impossible to use the face buttons and right analog at the same time, but it's not easy. If a game is going to have me use the face buttons often, it better have a really, really good auto-camera. Most games don't.

I find the camera to be a hair too close to Kratos' back, but it's not that big of a deal. That along with some of the shaking effects leads to a more cinematic look like Gears and Tomb Raider. I like that, but it does impact gameplay a little. It definitely makes getting attacked from behind tougher to see.

They do have a quick-turn function but I don't generally end up using it.

They do have a quick-turn function but I don't generally end up using it.

Yeah, it doesn't really feel natural for me to use either mapping for it but it does seem pretty helpful. I still find myself madly sprinting around the battlefield to avoid being surrounded. With no stamina bar, there's no real reason not to.

I didn't like the previous God of War games, I could not get into them.

But this God of War on PS4. This is a game I just can't get enough of. It's Brilliant. Feels like a mix of Zelda, Darksouls, Metroid, and Darksiders.

I'm just over about half way through I think.

First game since The Talos Principle that has really drawn me into the world. The detail in this game is incredible, and I love the dialogue interactions throughout. It's obvious the team poured so much love and effort into it. It really shines through when you are playing.

The icing on the cake for a game this good, God of War is doing it without Micro Transactions and DLC. Shows me games of this caliber are just built a Different way.

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the crafting (I don't like collecting numerous different scattered stuff from a game world - feels like work), and I thought it was a tad bid hard on the 2nd setting. But both these qualms are minor and i'm enjoying the loot/craft system more and the difficulty more the more I play. Opening up skills really helps the combat, but again here I'm not a huge fan of unlocking things in games. That being said, i'm already excited to play a second run through on the next level difficulty and eventually Give Me God of War (Which I heard is insane).

High fives all around. What a fun game! This is why i'm a gamer, for games like God of War.

Yeah, you can really tell the devs gave a damn about their work and about gamers. Far too rare these days.

Spoiler tag your shit, son.

If i'm worried about spoilers, i don't read threads regarding that subject. Not saying it's cool to post them without the tags... but a bit of the responsibility lies on the reader.

If i'm worried about spoilers, i don't read threads regarding that subject. Not saying it's cool to post them without the tags... but a bit of the responsibility lies on the reader.

Well, the thumbnail of the video posted spoils it outright, so it's a bit hard to avoid. I get your point, but spoiler tags do exist for a reason.

Still loving this game, the world seems to be so much bigger than I expected. I just made it to the spoiled parts mentioned above...pretty cool.

Well, the thumbnail of the video posted spoils it outright, so it's a bit hard to avoid. I get your point, but spoiler tags do exist for a reason.

Still loving this game, the world seems to be so much bigger than I expected. I just made it to the spoiled parts mentioned above...pretty cool.

That was a big part, and I was blown away by the surprise.

The world is huge. I feel that the main story line is soooooo good. I almost am bothered by doing side quests, and i'm not a huge fan of the leveling system as it integrates with some of the fights that get grabbed by the side quests.

I think for me, on next play through I'll get to lvl 6 or so on the main story line, and then dabble with only the more epic type side quests.

Something about games these days, that I noticed most in The Witcher 3, if i'm on a side quest, I pick up 2-3 extra side quests completing the first side quest I was on. This drives me crazy.

Great game, but if i see one more soul above a dead body handing out a side quest, i'm going to puke.

Just beat the story after completing all the side quests and maxing out Kratos' level with legendary armor, enhancements, etc. Also did the secret ending.

Honestly, probably one of my favorite games of all time. Holy fuck the story telling is phenomenal and the core game is so well done.

Honestly, probably one of my favorite games of all time. Holy fuck the story telling is phenomenal and the core game is so well done.

I would have to agree...It's probably the only game I've watched bits and pieces of at different points of people streaming on Twitch and the story was captivating enough that it was easy to get into seamlessly at various points and kept me wanting to watch more.

I got in a little more playtime over the weekend, but not a ton. I'm now able to deal with those red crystals and related barriers.
The difficulty is pretty interesting. 99% of battles are easy enough and I can win them without a 2nd effort.
...and then there are those fights where enemies take like 100 hits and 1 or 2-shot you. There doesn't seem to be much in-between. Based upon the higher difficulties making normal enemies simply take more hits, I suppose the difficulty curve could be a valid complaint. I don't really have (m)any other issues with the game. It's beautiful, it's fun, and there's a lot to see and do.

Just beat the story after completing all the side quests and maxing out Kratos' level with legendary armor, enhancements, etc. Also did the secret ending.

How long did it take you? I feel like I've played quite a few hours but don't feel that close to the end at all.

Also, I almost feel like it makes more sense to progress in the storyline and then only do side missions if/when you hit a wall - most of the random encounters I tend to find are way higher level than me and I just get one-shot a lot of the time.

I got at least 8 hours or so in over the weekend, I keep getting caught up in the side quests and other errands, hah. I could prolly beat the game easily in my current state since I've unlocked all skills available and only have a couple more to unlock for the kid, but I keep getting distracted in the game. I'm a bit of a completionist though and did the same thing in Horizon; finished every quest I found and had available in my log before doing the last main quest. But I feel rushed to complete the story in this game more because of all the spoiler talk I'm seeing on Youtube and in here a bit. I'm about an hour past the part OP spoiled above when you get the Blades of Chaos. It feels like I still have quite a bit of story left to play through though.

Jesus Christ though, this game has to be breaking a record with how many patches are pushed within the first month of its release. It seems that it has literally got a patch every day it has been released, as every time I power my PS4 back on from rest, another patch is available to install. Also, does this game seem to make your all's consoles work harder than any other game? Seems my PS4 Pro is going into blow dryer mode much more often than I've ever seen with any previous game I've played. When I played through Horizon with it, I very rarely heard it spin up at all.

How long did it take you? I feel like I've played quite a few hours but don't feel that close to the end at all.

Also, I almost feel like it makes more sense to progress in the storyline and then only do side missions if/when you hit a wall - most of the random encounters I tend to find are way higher level than me and I just get one-shot a lot of the time.

You'll know when you're getting close to the end of the story because
Mimir
will start saying something along the lines of a point of no return (even though you can go back post ending).

Overall, I think I've put in 25-30 hours. Probably will need to put another 5 hours or so to get the remaining collectibles/trophies.

Jesus Christ though, this game has to be breaking a record with how many patches are pushed within the first month of its release. It seems that it has literally got a patch every day it has been released, as every time I power my PS4 back on from rest, another patch is available to install.

Yeah, I noticed that too...I think there have been like 7 or 8 post-release patches so far.

Not sure if it's like this with the disk version, but the PSN version takes forever to patch, too. It'll download the patch in about 15 seconds but it takes like 10 minutes to patch the game. There has been a patch waiting for me most days, but I haven't kept track. Could just be a Sony first-party thing, too. Uncharted 4 still gets at least one patch every month and it's been out for 2 years.

I got at least 8 hours or so in over the weekend, I keep getting caught up in the side quests and other errands, hah. I could prolly beat the game easily in my current state since I've unlocked all skills available and only have a couple more to unlock for the kid, but I keep getting distracted in the game. I'm a bit of a completionist though and did the same thing in Horizon; finished every quest I found and had available in my log before doing the last main quest. But I feel rushed to complete the story in this game more because of all the spoiler talk I'm seeing on Youtube and in here a bit. I'm about an hour past the part OP spoiled above when you get the Blades of Chaos. It feels like I still have quite a bit of story left to play through though.

Jesus Christ though, this game has to be breaking a record with how many patches are pushed within the first month of its release. It seems that it has literally got a patch every day it has been released, as every time I power my PS4 back on from rest, another patch is available to install. Also, does this game seem to make your all's consoles work harder than any other game? Seems my PS4 Pro is going into blow dryer mode much more often than I've ever seen with any previous game I've played. When I played through Horizon with it, I very rarely heard it spin up at all.
I don't feel my PS4 pro is louder then any other games.

My PS4 Pro's fans sound like a jet engine whenever there are facial close-ups or whenever I'm in certain parts of the menu. If it isn't blowing at 100%, it has to be close. When just playing the game normally, it's probably only blowing at 60-70%, though. It's still pretty loud, but no worse than the other consoles.

Not sure if it's like this with the disk version, but the PSN version takes forever to patch, too. It'll download the patch in about 15 seconds but it takes like 10 minutes to patch the game. There has been a patch waiting for me most days, but I haven't kept track. Could just be a Sony first-party thing, too. Uncharted 4 still gets at least one patch every month and it's been out for 2 years.

I haven't noticed patches taking long at all on my digital games (which are most of my games including this one). I'll usually start the install (after it has already downloaded in rest mode) and it'll install and open the game again in about 5-10 seconds for all of these recent GoW patches so far.

It does get annoying. I load up my PS4 and want to start up GoW only to find another patch is installing for 10 minutes and I have to just wait and sit there. I doubt any of these are game breaking bugs...they should've just compiled the updates into a weekly patch or something along those lines.

I have the disc version and the patches do take awhile, but I'm not sure I would say they're excessively lengthy to install.

First run was a doozy (as I mentioned earlier in the thread) but since then it hasn't been noticeably bad. I do have a PS4 Pro with a 2 TB SSHD, though, so maybe that helps.

Got a bit further into the game last night; to the part where you go back to the mountain top for the 2nd time with the rune to travel to the Giant's land.

Man, after your son finds out he's a God, he really let that go to his head, lol. Many times now I've wished to see Kratos smack the God shit out of his kid for being so conceited. I'm sure he'll be set straight here at some point though and it will be entertaining. But this scene where Kratos says "Watch... your... tone, boy." would have set my ass straight as a kid looking up at him, hah.

I reached my first legitimately hard battle that wasn't intentionally too hard for my level! I'm doing the trials in the fire area and the 3rd tier involves defeating a boss who is invincible while his respawning minions are alive. It's definitely a struggle and while it's a little frustrating, I don't feel that it's unfair or that he's too strong or anything. I appreciate that.

I got caught up in the side quests too, I'd rather just hit the main story line as it feels to me much more polished (ie Fun). But some of the armor appears to require hitting side quests pretty hard,...

I had to cut out a 12"x3" rectangle in the back of my media cabinet where my PS4 Pro sits in order to temper the fan on the console. Prior to that it was so loud it was very bothersome. Like a jet engine in my living room. The PS4 Pro exhausts all the heat out the back. With the hole cutout in my media cabinet I no longer hear the fan in the console. The way it should be.

I reached my first legitimately hard battle that wasn't intentionally too hard for my level! I'm doing the trials in the fire area and the 3rd tier involves defeating a boss who is invincible while his respawning minions are alive. It's definitely a struggle and while it's a little frustrating, I don't feel that it's unfair or that he's too strong or anything. I appreciate that.

Yeah, I would say the boss fights so far have been somewhat tough, but fair.

The first Valkyrie I faced was pretty hard and took a few tries, but I felt it was doable and managed to succeed.

It's the random encounters with enemies that are level 5-6 and have the purple health that seem a bit wonky in terms of the difficulty curve. They generally one-shot you and it takes hundreds of hits to really do anything against them. Kind of frustrating, but I assume you're supposed to come back later at a higher level.

Back