God of War 4

Couldn't resist the PS4 Pro God of War bundle for $399 at Target - that's a steal.

Pretty much everywhere was sold out but I got lucky. Your local Target may still have one for local pickup so check it out.

And now I'm ready for Red Dead Redemption 2 as well. Good to be back!

Couldn't resist the PS4 Pro God of War bundle for $399 at Target - that's a steal.

Pretty much everywhere was sold out but I got lucky. Your local Target may still have one for local pickup so check it out.

And now I'm ready for Red Dead Redemption 2 as well. Good to be back!

That bundle looks pretty sweet. Congrats!

That bundle looks pretty sweet. Congrats!

Was really just a cost issue. I looked at refurb/used PS4 Pro's on Amazon and Ebay for around $330 (+tax) and then the game would've cost $60 (+tax), so for $10 more I got a new unit locally with no shipping time.

Best part is the bundled GoW is physical disc (boxed copy). I had assumed it would be digital code (no resale), so that was a nice surprise. A+, Sony.

Last edited:
I just booted this up...7 min install, 15 min download, and now another 30 min download. WTF?

I just booted this up...7 min install, 15 min download, and now another 30 min download. WTF?

Strange. I inserted game disc, it copied 10GB of data to the internal HDD (7min) and I was playing.

Last edited:
Received mine today. :)

5oEwBHA.jpg

I think I'll wait for the price to drop I mean uncharted it going for 11.00 now.

It's ok if you're broke and don't want to spend the money on a new game at full price, but don't try to rationalize it by comparing it to pricing of a two year old game despite it being the same caliber title.

I'm only like 6 hours into it, but can tell you this is absolutely worth it's launch price.

My PS4 pro wasn't recognizing the CD. I had to put Uncharted in first, eject, put GOW back in then it would finally read it.

Then after I installed the 1.11 update for GOW, it's reading it every time.

Weird.

I rather wait 2 years the price will drop like a rock and maybe pick it up for 14.95 Then keep the disk for 20 years and it will go up in value maybe.

I rather wait 2 years the price will drop like a rock and maybe pick it up for 14.95 Then keep the disk for 20 years and it will go up in value maybe.

Excellent plan and ROI for sure. Less risk than a 401K! Go start buying up every 2 year old AAA title right meow!

Last edited:

You're a very interesting person. You're the one who started this thread, you posted all these videos, you talked about how you're "so into this franchise", and you seemed genuinely excited for its release. Then the reviews come out, and it's essentially the most highly praised game on the PS4, one of those rare console defining experiences that we reserve the term "can't miss". Then there's us phlebs telling you, yes it's absolutely worth the hype and a fantastic game. And you're response is "eh, I'll wait a couple years until it's on sale?" I mean, did you not know it would cost $60? Or are you just trolling us and I'm an idiot for not paying attention to your handle?

You're a very interesting person. You're the one who started this thread, you posted all these videos, you talked about how you're "so into this franchise", and you seemed genuinely excited for its release. Then the reviews come out, and it's essentially the most highly praised game on the PS4, one of those rare console defining experiences that we reserve the term "can't miss". Then there's us phlebs telling you, yes it's absolutely worth the hype and a fantastic game. And you're response is "eh, I'll wait a couple years until it's on sale?" I mean, did you not know it would cost $60? Or are you just trolling us and I'm an idiot for not paying attention to your handle?

Don't worry I'll put you on Ignore for life thanks nice knowing ya.......

Don't worry I'll put you on Ignore for life thanks nice knowing ya.......

He has a point. By all means wait I have no problem with it.

It wasn’t till that fact was brought to my attention when I was confused too.

Have not stopped playing this. It's a bit tougher than I expected in some parts.

Fun as hell and worth every bit of $60

Game is fucking unreal. Definitely more difficult than other GOWs, but its matured into an extremely deep game. Not disappointed at all. Possibly one of the best console games Ive played in over a decade. Dare say its the best looking game on any platform atm, including PC.

PS4 Pro, about 4 hours in, havent seen any "noticeable" framerate drops in high rez mode. Nothing to detract from the gameplay. Love the art direction and the pace of the game.

Last edited:

rgr. seems like concern trolling from OP. No idea whats up.

Game is fucking unreal. Definitely more difficult than other GOWs, but its matured into an extremely deep game. Not disappointed at all. Possibly one of the best console games Ive played in over a decade. Dare say its the best looking game on any platform atm, including PC.

PS4 Pro, about 4 hours in, havent seen any "noticeable" framerate drops in high rez mode. Nothing to detract from the gameplay. Love the art direction and the pace of the game.

I'll second the challenge factor, although not too sure about the best looking game. It looks amazing, but hasn't wowed me that much yet. I tried it on hard mode and it's more like impossible to enjoy mode. Lowered it and much more manageable now. Pretty cool game for now!

. Dare say its the best looking game on any platform atm, including PC.

After playing several more hours, I can now confidently saw that this game has taken the mantle from Horizon Zero Dawn as the most beautiful console game currently available. The textures and character models are just beautiful. But on a powerful PC there are still several games that have far more visual eye candy. On my PC rig, using a Titan Xp and Acer Predator X34, the Witcher 3 at ultra settings across the board with every graphical mod I can find installed still looks far more impressive. Also Rise of the Tomb on PC on ultra settings looks better as well. Also those run at near 100 fps which also helps a lot. But we're talking a $1200 video card so not really a fair comparison. I will say this, where games like this and Horizon Zero Dawn really shine and are in the implementation of HDR. You really owe it to yourself to play this game on a good 4k HDR enabled TV if possible. There so are many times where the color palettes and contrasts are just jaw dropping. For instance the first time I arrived at the witches house in that garden with all the red trees and the giant turtle, I had to wipe my drool off the floor. Makes me look forward to the not so distant future when PC monitors are routinely HDR capable.

I think this may be on par with Horizon graphically but I don't think it beats it.

Somehow I managed to play this for like 8 hours straight today without realizing it. Great game. I do have to say, though, that carrying blue crystals long distances is not compelling gameplay, and it happens a bit too frequently for my tastes. Bur overall, super awesome. More challenging than I expected at times, but not insurmountable. Though, there are a couple of areas I'm pretty sure you're supposed to come back to later, because the enemies are way higher level and one-shot you.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
So far shaping to be my favorite game this generation. I just got to the part where...
I met Mimir for the first time and chopped off his head.
I'm taking my time and doing all side quests possible and playing on the second hardest difficulty. Honestly the story telling and presentation in this game is Naughty Dog level or even better.

If there was any generation to pickup a Sony platform it would be this one. They are destroying in the exclusives department.

I'm still having a blast. The graphics are unreal, gameplay is fun, and there's just a ton of polish all the way around. There are definitely some tough spots if you insist on killing everything. I've only run into a couple monsters I can't kill and I'm under the impression you probably aren't supposed to try yet.

I suppose the only real gripe anyone will probably have is that it's not very God of War'esque. At all. It's so much of a departure that I don't know if I'd even recommend it to fans of the original games. It's better in a ton of ways, but it's a totally different type of game. It's essentially Raider Souls.

I'm still having a blast. The graphics are unreal, gameplay is fun, and there's just a ton of polish all the way around. There are definitely some tough spots if you insist on killing everything. I've only run into a couple monsters I can't kill and I'm under the impression you probably aren't supposed to try yet.

I suppose the only real gripe anyone will probably have is that it's not very God of War'esque. At all. It's so much of a departure that I don't know if I'd even recommend it to fans of the original games. It's better in a ton of ways, but it's a totally different type of game. It's essentially Raider Souls.

Good points. However I think expectations of games are higher these days, so had they simply copied the same formula as the previous game but with nicer graphics I don't think it would be getting anywhere near the ratings this game is getting. It would've been called too simplistic.

Anyway my gripe is there doesn't appear to be any real point to setting difficulty to highest or second highest, at least for the first half of the game until you get some upgrades. There are no extra rewards and all it does is gives the enemies an insane health pool. You don't feel too godly when all you can do is block + chip away at a single low level enemy that takes 50 hits.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the way they intend for you to play, but running like hell and spamming the axe throw/return works wonders thus far. I'm probably 5-6 hours in and that's what I do in most battles. It mostly takes you out of harms way and it hurts a ton. I want to do some of those longer ground-based combos, but I find myself always getting hit out of them.

Another strategy I use a lot is the move where you charge up R2 and Kratos does a powerful axe smash that triggers a mini-cinematic whenever it lands. You can charge it up while your son is shooting arrows to kinda/sorta stun lock some enemies while they walk into it.

Game is selling like crazy only one copy left at Walmart in the front case and maybe a dozen on the side must of sold like 30 copies though the day. Some guy bugged me about purchasing a PS4 at night which is pretty rare at like 1:00 am.

So far shaping to be my favorite game this generation. I just got to the part where...
I met Mimir for the first time and chopped off his head.
I'm taking my time and doing all side quests possible and playing on the second hardest difficulty. Honestly the story telling and presentation in this game is Naughty Dog level or even better.

If there was any generation to pickup a Sony platform it would be this one. They are destroying in the exclusives department.

Hah, that's exactly how far I got yesterday, and the same difficulty.

Same here with the side quests...eventually you start seeing a lot of stuff that you can't get around, which brings me to my next point...

One other thing I wish the game did better is keep track of what types of obstacles are where. The game is very Metroid-vania-like, where you have obstacles that you know you're going to have to get some power for and then come back to later, but the game has no way (as far as I can tell) of tracking where these places are. They are generally random chests and areas within earlier maps that require a specific "key" to "unlock". I wish these were marked (or able to be marked by the player) on the map so that you knew where to go back to later. Otherwise, I foresee a ton of aimless backtracking if you want to try to 100% everything.

Not sure if it's the way they intend for you to play, but running like hell and spamming the axe throw/return works wonders thus far. I'm probably 5-6 hours in and that's what I do in most battles. It mostly takes you out of harms way and it hurts a ton. I want to do some of those longer ground-based combos, but I find myself always getting hit out of them.

Another strategy I use a lot is the move where you charge up R2 and Kratos does a powerful axe smash that triggers a mini-cinematic whenever it lands. You can charge it up while your son is shooting arrows to kinda/sorta stun lock some enemies while they walk into it.

I'm playing on hard and the game is definitely most flawed during the first 5-7 hours of this game. I found it extremely tedious and annoying to play i almost quit, it has a difficulty curve in reverse.

They really should have given you more abilities and combos and damage to start with being unable to launch or stagger 90% of the enemies making combos useless and being able to counter projectiles should have been in there by default.

For example the first time you meet a heavy draugr they take 30 plus light attacks to killl them each! Spamming throwing axe on them is the only way as you don't have time to do heavy attacks and cant make spacing.

Other flaws like blind spots for attack indicators on your left and right but my number one complaint in the game is the attack indicators for behind you are completely deceiving. It starts flashing red or pink when you're about to attacked but it isn't consistent in the timing of the attack, for example it could start blinking red and it take literally 3 whole seconds before the attack would land making you pull out of combos, dodge too soon and generally gets you killed CONSTANTLY. It's so flawed i honestly think the game would be better if you could block all directions (but not counter) like the other gow games.

Visibility for front attacks and attacks above you can also be extremely poor as well for example if you're fighting/comboing a large/boss enemy in front of you and if there are enemy behind him shooting projectiles that you can't see you will be hit as the attacks pass through him and you get no indicator from the front.

Last edited:
I'm playing on hard and the game is definitely most flawed during the first 5-7 hours of this game. I found it extremely tedious and annoying to play i almost quit, it has a difficulty curve in reverse.

They really should have given you more abilities and combos and damage to start with being unable to launch or stagger 90% of the enemies making combos useless annoying and being able to counter projectiles should have been in there by default.

Whether they mean to or not, I find most games tend to do that. Dark Souls (and the clones) included. The games get easier because you do more damage, you have better gear, you no longer get 1-shot killed, etc. Either that or all of the new techniques end up being worthless because by the time you unlock them they enemies no longer get by them. Nioh was like that.

I'm playing GoW on whatever the default is and I'd say it's challenging by fair. I don't think I've lost the same fight twice in a row and I tend to know what I did wrong. Well, except for one optional battle where the enemies are like level 8 and you're at most level 2. I bailed on that one after getting insta-killed twice in the middle of a 5-minute attrition battle.
The cues for being attacked from behind do feel a little off, although I'm on the run so much I don't notice all that often. There's no stamina meter, so there's no real penalty for sprinting from one side of the battlefield to the other over and over.

Whether they mean to or not, I find most games tend to do that. Dark Souls (and the clones) included. The games get easier because you do more damage, you have better gear, you no longer get 1-shot killed, etc. Either that or all of the new techniques end up being worthless because by the time you unlock them they enemies no longer get by them. Nioh was like that.

I'm playing GoW on whatever the default is and I'd say it's challenging by fair. I don't think I've lost the same fight twice in a row and I tend to know what I did wrong. Well, except for one optional battle where the enemies are like level 8 and you're at most level 2. I bailed on that one after getting insta-killed twice in the middle of a 5-minute attrition battle.
The cues for being attacked from behind do feel a little off, although I'm on the run so much I don't notice all that often. There's no stamina meter, so there's no real penalty for sprinting from one side of the battlefield to the other over and over.

Maybe we played different games or are understanding this differently, because Dark Souls doesn't actually do that -- you can kill the starter enemies in 1-3 swings of an axe, not 50 like in GOW when playing the second-highest difficulty.

So GOW's difficulty slider seems little more than a enemy bullet sponge multiplier; the enemies are still dumb as rocks and aren't any more aggressive. Maybe it shouldn't even be there. Because no matter how "skilled" you are, your damage output sucks and all you can do is chip away.

Last edited:
Maybe we played different games or are understanding this differently, because Dark Souls doesn't actually do that -- you can kill the starter enemies in 1-3 swings of an axe, not 50 like in GOW when playing the second-highest difficulty.

So GOW's difficulty slider seems little more than a enemy bullet sponge multiplier; the enemies are still dumb as rocks and aren't any more aggressive. Maybe it shouldn't even be there. Because no matter how "skilled" you are, your damage output sucks and all you can do is chip away.

Gotcha. Different than I was thinking. Was more thinking of general difficulty. Things are way harder at the start because you have minimal health, damage output, gear, techniques, etc.
With GoW they're identical, just taking more hits to kill, yes? The only tough enemies I've encountered are like 3x my level and sound similar...although they one-shot me even through a shield.

I guess if I had one tip, it would be to not neglect the Apple and Blood Horn upgrade chests. The health and rage boosts they give you are substantial and can really help out. I don't know how far I am in the game (I am at the part that exlink detailed above) but I already have two full upgrades for each, out of three total in the game. So I think you can get them fairly early on by being observant and doing side quests.

You can also optimize your runes and talismans for health regen and stuff like that.

Also, I just want to say after seeing so many memes about how often Kratos calls Atreus "BOY!" in the game...it's really interesting how the devs chose to tell the story. So many instances you see Kratos start to reach toward Atreus to comfort him, then stops and pulls his hand back. You get a perfect picture of the inner struggle, how he really doesn't hate Atreus, but he also doesn't want him to be weak so he feels the only way to accomplish this is being a hardass. But deep down he wants to love him. It's excellent storytelling.

Also, I just want to say after seeing so many memes about how often Kratos calls Atreus "BOY!" in the game...it's really interesting how the devs chose to tell the story. So many instances you see Kratos start to reach toward Atreus to comfort him, then stops and pulls his hand back. You get a perfect picture of the inner struggle, how he really doesn't hate Atreus, but he also doesn't want him to be weak so he feels the only way to accomplish this is being a hardass. But deep down he wants to love him. It's excellent storytelling.

I am enjoying that aspect as well. I also find Kratos to be quite humorous as the hard-ass straight man.

I'm still trying to get a feel for the armor upgrade system. Are people generally upgrading what they have or going for stock statistically better sets?

Back