God of War 3 Reviews coming in

I just beat the game and want to play through on a higher difficulty, but I think I am too old to put up with the difficulty. They only give you ~4 hits before you are dead.

I wouldn't be too worried. GameStop has its problems, but delivering codes usually isn't one. Usually hold ups with DLC is the developers fault. It wouldn't have mattered where you preordered. Like Heavy Rain the DLC took a little longer to come out then expected, but Amazon did notify me of the delay. I got my code a couple weeks later so I wouldn't be too worried about a couple of days.

Here I was the baddest dude on the whole planet, and I failed Aphrodite. And to make matters worse, they threw in two chicks to laugh at me. Do you have any idea what a kick to the groin that is?

Here I was the baddest dude on the whole planet, and I failed Aphrodite. And to make matters worse, they threw in two chicks to laugh at me. Do you have any idea what a kick to the groin that is?

Yeah i failed it the 1st time too, and a note to some.....

If you do her twice the girls make a comment about the m rating for the game.

Just finished the game. Great stuff. Although the 10-15 min dream sequence gameplay at the end fucking BORED me to tears. Thats really my only complaint. I basically played GOW 1+2 then 3 back to back to back which really was fun to do and kept the story fresh and flowing in my mind. But im definitely GOW'd out now.

Alright, I'm upset. My PS3 YLOD while I was playing GoW3. This is YLOD number 3. I'm almost convinced Sony has a kill-switch in there. Each time it breaks it seems to be almost perfectly spaced time wise. I know its not a heat related thing because when it broke this morning I went over to it and it was not warm at all. Sigh.

Don't want to put on my tinfoil hat, but I came home today and tried to turn it on to make sure it was still YLOD. So after confirming that I went ahead and disassembled my PS3 again, but this time I didn't reflow. Just took it apart, put it back together and powered it on. It worked. Hrm.

Good to hear. Are you sure repeated heat stress couldn't cause an issue, even if it's not overheated when it finally "pops" ? I think the solder stress builds over time.

No matter if it's working. Anyways, I think YLOD can mean a number of things.

God of war 3 gives my ps3 a workout. I make sure to always idle on the xmb for 5 minutes before turning it off.

Is it true that there's now NG+ mode in God of War 3? I was reading something the other day that tossed that off casually in the middle of the article. It seems odd not to include that, especially since I know the second game did.

Also, each and every review I've seen so far has talked about how the third game is the only one to include useful alternate weapons. Am I the only one who thought the spear and sword of olympus in the second game were both fantastic and incredibly useful weapons? Especially the sword, which when fully upgraded put the chains to shame.

Is it true that there's now NG+ mode in God of War 3? I was reading something the other day that tossed that off casually in the middle of the article. It seems odd not to include that, especially since I know the second game did.

Also, each and every review I've seen so far has talked about how the third game is the only one to include useful alternate weapons. Am I the only one who thought the spear and sword of olympus in the second game were both fantastic and incredibly useful weapons? Especially the sword, which when fully upgraded put the chains to shame.

I kinda hear ya, but I'd agree that GOW3's alternate weapons were a bit better than the previous ones. The cestus were awesome, and a fully upgraded whip allows you to do some INSANE air juggles.

I just beat it on hard, and I agree when people say the end felt a bit rushed. They just throw waves and waves of enemies at you to increase playtime. In contrast, the first 1/2 of the game was filled with epic moments that made you say "WOW!". The last 1/2 was filled with moments that made you say "YOU F&^%$&^%$%& SON OF A *%^*&^(&*)(*&^&*(^(!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

I kinda hear ya, but I'd agree that GOW3's alternate weapons were a bit better than the previous ones. The cestus were awesome, and a fully upgraded whip allows you to do some INSANE air juggles.

I agree with you. The alternate weapons in 3 are easily the best of the series. I just get confused when people say the other 2 (or I guess 2 specifically) didn't have any useful weapons other than the chains. Did those people ever play with a fully upgraded sword of olympus, because that thing was the shits.

Also, I did a bit of reading up on the NG+ thing and realize why they didn't do it. Besides, all the godly possessions more than make up for it, IMO.

Hopefully getting this game when i get paid on friday. Can't believe I've waited this long though. Need to finish ff13 asap.

I got bored of FF13 and picked this up over the weekend. I've been really happy thus far, too. I felt GOW1 and 2 were too easy (except the last battles in each) and this game started off with a difficulty boost over both of them.
Graphics are killer, and the animation is great.
The only real issue I've had has been with jumping. Not sure why, but sometimes the double jump/wings just doesn't seem to work. I've ended up in several pits for no real reason.
I'm loving the use of Helios' head to find treasure. There are a surprising number of chests throughout the game that need it to be found. Pretty neat gimmick.

I got bored of FF13 and picked this up over the weekend. I've been really happy thus far, too. I felt GOW1 and 2 were too easy (except the last battles in each) and this game started off with a difficulty boost over both of them.
Graphics are killer, and the animation is great.
The only real issue I've had has been with jumping. Not sure why, but sometimes the double jump/wings just doesn't seem to work. I've ended up in several pits for no real reason.
I'm loving the use of Helios' head to find treasure. There are a surprising number of chests throughout the game that need it to be found. Pretty neat gimmick.

Really? I think I died one time to the combat in all of God of War 3 (and about 12 times to stupid instant death traps and falls and shit). I didn't even die once in the whole course of the final boss fight. By contrast, I found myself floundering a lot in some fights in the previous GoW games because I didn't know what to do exactly. This attribute of the old games can be seen as either good or bad as it certainly adds challenge, but it can be frustrating when it's not intuitive what you need to do.

The puzzles are all incredibly easy by comparison too. I don't think I spent longer than 5 minutes figuring any of them out.

Really? I think I died one time to the combat in all of God of War 3 (and about 12 times to stupid instant death traps and falls and shit). I didn't even die once in the whole course of the final boss fight. By contrast, I found myself floundering a lot in some fights in the previous GoW games because I didn't know what to do exactly. This attribute of the old games can be seen as either good or bad as it certainly adds challenge, but it can be frustrating when it's not intuitive what you need to do.

The puzzles are all incredibly easy by comparison too. I don't think I spent longer than 5 minutes figuring any of them out.

What difficulty? If you're talking Titan (or whatever equates to "Hard", then either you're amazing or I'm terrible. I played my first playthrough on Titan and I died a couple hundred times, and I feel like I'm pretty good at the game.

I've only died maybe 7-8 times, but I have managed to lose fights to both Hades and Hercules a couple times before winning them.
With GoW 1 and GoW 2, I don't think I died a single time until I got to the Minotaur (GoW1) and again with Aries. With the 2nd it wasn't until the final path to the big fat boss (about 50 insta-kill medusas in a row) that I died. Granted I died a ton of times on all 3 of those, though.
With #3 so far I've found myself getting beat up in several battles. I might win, but there have been some definite squeakers.
It might come down to the "hold L1 and keep hitting X" not being as good. In GOW1 and 2, you could pretty much just mash that for the entire game and do pretty well. In #3 it seems like the damage/safety on those moves has been reduced.

What difficulty? If you're talking Titan (or whatever equates to "Hard", then either you're amazing or I'm terrible. I played my first playthrough on Titan and I died a couple hundred times, and I feel like I'm pretty good at the game.

Just normal. I don't have the patience to keep dying and retrying the same fight over and over.

I've only died maybe 7-8 times, but I have managed to lose fights to both Hades and Hercules a couple times before winning them.
With GoW 1 and GoW 2, I don't think I died a single time until I got to the Minotaur (GoW1) and again with Aries. With the 2nd it wasn't until the final path to the big fat boss (about 50 insta-kill medusas in a row) that I died. Granted I died a ton of times on all 3 of those, though.
With #3 so far I've found myself getting beat up in several battles. I might win, but there have been some definite squeakers.
It might come down to the "hold L1 and keep hitting X" not being as good. In GOW1 and 2, you could pretty much just mash that for the entire game and do pretty well. In #3 it seems like the damage/safety on those moves has been reduced.

I pretty much use the same combos that I used in the first game: square square triangle or later on square triangle triangle triangle. I've never been a fan of the L1 + attacks. They generally last too long and you can't block or dodge in the middle of the animations.

I pretty much use the same combos that I used in the first game: square square triangle or later on square triangle triangle triangle. I've never been a fan of the L1 + attacks. They generally last too long and you can't block or dodge in the middle of the animations.

I'm a huge fan of the L1 attacks, especially cause you need to be blocking later in the game with those satyr's.

I found that the inclusion of that long-reach grapple with the chains made the game a bit too easy though. If you're down to one guy, you can pretty much just spam it and you'll be guaranteed never to get hit (if you're half decent at evading) even if he blocks.

I ended up winning this yesterday. I was suprised that I found all of the horns/eyes/feathers and maxed everything out san ever looking at any guides or FAQs. IMO, that's a good thing. It's always annoying when game creators design something where you have to look for outside help to find normal things.

Honestly, the end was much easier than I expected. There was a sequence with a Cerberus and 2-3 of those lance guys that was tough, but all of the final battles were shockingly easy. I didn't die on any of them.

One other thing that surprised me a little was how strong the whip and cestus became. The blades were doing pitiful damage compared to them at the end. In general I found myself sticking to those two even when they weren't maxed out. I never really did use the claws much. They seemed to do a lot of wacky things, but I kept getting hit a lot and they never seemed to do as much damage as it looked like they were doing.

Overall, it was a good game although it did feel shorter than GoW2. Plus, I think that because most of it was underground it also lost some of the "epic" feel from #2. GoW2 felt massive just because of the scale of everything. #3 tried to with the Titans and caverns, but IMO it didn't capture it.

Yeah Im fairly close to the end just finished the pandora in water box part. God was that annoying. Worst part in the whole game. I don't feel this game is as good as GoW1 or 2 though. It's epic sure but not as good.

Yeah, there's a section that follows that sequence that's a little annoying, too...but you're really close to the end. Probably 30 minutes (including a death or two) from the finale.

I don't know how you guys are saying the end is easy. I played the game on Titan and I swear I died about 50 times on the last boss until I figured out a cheap strategy to beat him.

Anyways, the game was AWESOME and challenging as hell - I believe too many people pussy out and play it on normal.

With Zeus on the platform I just swapped to the Cesus and did the X,X,Triangle combo followed by a jump/air dodge over his head. He's slow to turn around, so you can actually get a larger combo from behind. You can't really do much else since you're on a flat plane. If your timing is quick, you can swap to the Whip and use it's magic attack to start up a massive combo, but the Cestus is safer.

In his 2nd form you just concentrate on the one that looks "real" and the instant the "heart" reforms I'd concentrate on it to heal myself and keep him from doing the same. I stuck to the Cestus the entire time.

In general with the Cestus, it seems to snuff out enemy attacks and keep you safer than you might expect, but the L1 attacks for it kinda suck.

I used the Cestus almost exclusively after I got it, but I had fun hitting Zeus with the whip and electrocuting him. I agree that the Pandora trap section was annoying - it took me forever to figure out that one grate is for running and the exact same texture on the other wall is for grabbing. Once I actually figured that out, I got lucky and completed it on the first try ;p Took me several tries to beat Zeus in the first fight, but the second one in Gaia, just one time. The healing was super helpful.

I originally started the game on Titan, but was having trouble at the horse crab and figured I didn't want to figure out how to beat everything while getting my ass handed to me. So I guess I'm a pussy.

Anyways, the game was AWESOME and challenging as hell - I believe too many people pussy out and play it on normal.

I wouldn't call anybody a pussy for playing it on normal, but if you're playing it on normal you can't really knock it for not being difficult. I played my first playthrough on titan difficulty and died hundreds of times. There were fights near the end of the game that were damn near impossible. If you played it on titan and found it easy then you are a greater gamer than I. I can't imagine how hard the game is on whatever the hardest difficulty is (chaos?). I want to play on the hardest difficulty, but I'd likely have to do it with all the godly possessions enabled. That would disable trophies, right? I have some more to get, and I'd hate to miss them on my second playthrough.

Back