God of War 3 Reviews coming in

About how long should I expect it to take to go thru 1 and 2?

i finished 1 and 2 last week. my gf wanted to get in on the story before i played 3. she wanted to watch me play rather than watch tube videos about the story......

took me 6 hours for 1 and 7 hours for 2. (i remembered some of the puzzles)

Helios's head that you more or less use for a flashlight, I found later on if you come to section's were you see gold dust floating around, pull his noggin out and it will show you a secret path, treasure, etc.

This. Just finished the game...just as good as I remember 1 and 2 being when they first came out, but OMFG, the graphics. Sounds, graphics...everything was amazing. Oh...and when you finish the game, wait around after all the credits for a video (not that the video is going to help you or make you feel anything...quite frankly, I'm confused)...but there is a video there. Oh, and anyone else think the guitar hero bit was completely strange and out of place? Oh, and I messed up a couple times and left it running while fixing lunch, but it took me right at 10 hours.

Now to play through it again on Titan mode...whew!

The GoW Collection versions of the first two actually look quite good. There are no jaggies to speak of and it seems to run in a proper 720p+ resolution. It's funny that the prerendered cinematics (which didn't get overhauled) look worse than the actively rendered game itself does.

its weird some cutscense look shitty like a ps2 game but some look like they were touched up nicely !

I think that GoW3's in-game graphics look better than the cutscenes. I notice all kinds of aliasing and "edges flashing during movement" in the cutscenes.

I just got to the point that was featured in the demo, and it's nice to see how different the final game is to the demo. Different weapons, different enemies, different situations. Not only that, but it's amazing how much better it looks than the demo. It seemed to me that the smoke and fire effects on Helios' chariot were significantly improved, and they already looked great in the demo.

Also, I recall seeing a review that called the game too easy. The reviewer said they only died once. Either they weren't playing on hard or they're a gaming god. I'm playing it on hard and I've died many times already.

Edit: I just finished off Hercules and got the cestus. And yeah, I've died 65 times. It's pretty damn difficult on hard.

Last edited:
I played GOW 1 for the first time yesterday...
The graphics don't look too too bad, and the game is great fun!
All I have to do now is finish the 1st one, then the 2nd one, then buy the 3rd one lol...

I played GOW 1 for the first time yesterday...
The graphics don't look too too bad, and the game is great fun!
All I have to do now is finish the 1st one, then the 2nd one, then buy the 3rd one lol...

Heh we are in the same boat, I got the collection last week. I am loving the story so far and I agree for the time the graphics are nothing to hate on.

Tonight will be an Monster night for me cant wait to get into the 3rd

I don't think I'm gonna play through the 2nd. I'd rather just watch the vids to get the story.

is there a particular reason?
Did you find it disappointing? or are you too eager to play the 3rd one?

I would guess the second, I'm having a hard time staying the course with the first one since GoW 3 showed up from amazon :eek:

yea the 2nd one is where the series started to get good
the first 1 is the bland boring one

yea the 2nd one is where the series started to get good
the first 1 is the bland boring one

Yes!
I had never played any GOW game before, and was planning on starting with the 3rd one, but was told numerous times that I would be missing out big time if I didn't play the 1st two first.

Also, I was told that as far as the 1st two games go, GOW 2 is what made the series a classic!

I suggest you tough it out a little more...

I just want to play the 3rd. I got frustrated with the first in a few spots and my play periods were few and far in-between.

I'm sure the 2nd is a great game. I'm just not sure I want to delay playing the 3rd longer than is necessary. It might take me a few weeks to get through the 2nd. Rather than just watching the vids to get the story and jumping in.

I just want to play the 3rd. I got frustrated with the first in a few spots and my play periods were few and far in-between.

I'm sure the 2nd is a great game. I'm just not sure I want to delay playing the 3rd longer than is necessary. It might take me a few weeks to get through the 2nd. Rather than just watching the vids to get the story and jumping in.

I take it you don't play very often. I guess I can understand, but you should definitely go back and play the first two after you beat 3. The first is an excellent game, the second isn't as epic (Pandora's Temple is one of the greatest levels ever designed, and it takes up basically the entire middle third of the game), but it adds a few fun weapons and items that really add to the experience.

I take it you don't play very often. I guess I can understand, but you should definitely go back and play the first two after you beat 3. The first is an excellent game, the second isn't as epic (Pandora's Temple is one of the greatest levels ever designed, and it takes up basically the entire middle third of the game), but it adds a few fun weapons and items that really add to the experience.

I played through the first already. I started the second, but I'm not very far. I could probably run through the second this weekend, but meh.

I could probably run through the second this weekend, but meh.

Disagree!! Power through, man! I can understand wanting to go for the biggest, flashiest, latest game, but 2 is excellent, and it's not like the third one is going anywhere. It'll be there when you finish 2.

The last 1/4 or so of GoW3 really drops the ball. It's just amazing how the first 3/4s of the game take everything good from the first two and improves on them. Then the last 1/4 they take everything bad from them as if to showcase the flaws in the series.

It goes from epic in scope to fighting in little boxes against never-ending waves of enemies. I'm so disappointed that I don't think I'll have the desire to play through again.

The last 1/4 or so of GoW3 really drops the ball. It's just amazing how the first 3/4s of the game take everything good from the first two and improves on them. Then the last 1/4 they take everything bad from them as if to showcase the flaws in the series.

It goes from epic in scope to fighting in little boxes against never-ending waves of enemies. I'm so disappointed that I don't think I'll have the desire to play through again.

I'll agree the pacing slows down somewhat but I don't think it drops the ball whatsoever. The 1st and 2nd played out similar and I enjoyed the last quarter of 3 better than I did 1&2, and I never ran into any endless spawning enemies at the end of 3.

I finished 3 yesterday and it's just 100% fucking awesome, best action game series ever on a console. And I didn't think anything would top Uncharted 2 in the looks department for awhile but the shit that goes on in GoW 3 raises the bar pretty high that I don't think we'll see anything this year with a scope that compares to GoW3.

I'll agree the pacing slows down somewhat but I don't think it drops the ball whatsoever. The 1st and 2nd played out similar and I enjoyed the last quarter of 3 better than I did 1&2, and I never ran into any endless spawning enemies at the end of 3.

I finished 3 yesterday and it's just 100% fucking awesome, best action game series ever on a console. And I didn't think anything would top Uncharted 2 in the looks department for awhile but the shit that goes on in GoW 3 raises the bar pretty high that I don't think we'll see anything this year with a scope that compares to GoW3.

I just finished it as well, and I'm really not sure what Bankie was complaining about. There was one specific instance in the last 1/4 or so of the game that I can recall that confined you to a small box and threw wave after wave of enemies at you. It was frustrating, especially on hard, but I expect at least one section to be like that, especially near the end of the game.

My only complaint was that the leap down the chains and back to Hades was damn hard. I died about 30 times before successfully making it through.

All in all it was a damn fine game. It certainly gives Uncharted 2 a run for its money when considering the best PS3 game yet.

I was blown away beginning to end, this game truly deserves the attention its getting (and then some).

just beat this game and i don't remember dying as much in demon's soul

Last edited:
I just beat the game this morning. It was a fun ride from start to finish. The graphics overall were excellent. The game play of course was fantastic other than the jumps. It seems like the X button wasn't always the most responsive.

I just beat the game this morning. It was a fun ride from start to finish. The graphics overall were excellent. The game play of course was fantastic other than the jumps. It seems like the X button wasn't always the most responsive.

I thought this was just me! I couldn't double jump at first for the life of me (no pun intended). It's unusually difficult in this game.

^ Apparently there is a button stick bug floating around, lots of the same reports..

^ Apparently there is a button stick bug floating around, lots of the same reports..

ive noticed that a couple times, but its never seemed to be prevalent enough for me to have considered it a bug. But if it is, a fix would be welcome.

I just beat the game with some friends. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the weapons and fighting. The graphics and sound were top notch, minus a few areas and objects (for example, Zeus's hair in the end looked like it came from PS2, it was just blocky).

The double-jumping is a little messed up, or just off. In most games, when you double jump, you hit jump and then pause for a second while waiting for your character's momentum to change from upwards to downwards, and then press jump again.

In this game, you just have to hit jump, and then immediately hit jump again (and hold it if you want to glide). If you don't hit a jump a second time right away, then it will not register and you will plummet to your death.

The jumping is really my only complaint, I just prefer being able to press jump for my double jump at any point after the initial jump, not immediately after. Just personal preference.

I also didn't enjoy being trapped inside boxes for the last part like another poster mentioned, the outdoors areas are just more exciting to look at. Speaking of which, the backgrounds in this game are some of the best I've seen. They did a really excellent job on those. Despite the tedious parts, it didn't really detract from my overall feeling towards the game.

I thought this was just me! I couldn't double jump at first for the life of me (no pun intended). It's unusually difficult in this game.

I have no idea how this got through play testing. It seems we aren't the only ones with the jumping issue.

Last edited:
I just beat the game with some friends. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the weapons and fighting. The graphics and sound were top notch, minus a few areas and objects (for example, Zeus's hair in the end looked like it came from PS2, it was just blocky)

I have to agree with you. I felt some of the character design to be lacking. Zeus's beard being a sore spot. Having that blocky hair clip into his chest takes you out of the "this almost is CG" feeling. Come to think of it a lot of the characters had a very PS2 look to them.

I just finished it as well, and I'm really not sure what Bankie was complaining about. There was one specific instance in the last 1/4 or so of the game that I can recall that confined you to a small box and threw wave after wave of enemies at you. It was frustrating, especially on hard, but I expect at least one section to be like that, especially near the end of the game.

I'm not just talking about the boxes from the Labyrinth. The whole last 1/4 of the game was just moving from one tiny area to another. And instead of throwing interesting scenarios/scenery like the first 3/4 of the game they just threw enemies at you non-stop. I feel that the game was just too long; like they just started adding crap whether it worked or not just to pad the play time. I think that the Labyrinth/Pandora storyline felt out of place and could have been dropped and the game would have been better for it.

I experienced quite a few glitches: double-jump not always working, constant fall animations while fighting the scorpion, a door glitch in Hades, etc.

I'm not just talking about the boxes from the Labyrinth. The whole last 1/4 of the game was just moving from one tiny area to another. And instead of throwing interesting scenarios/scenery like the first 3/4 of the game they just threw enemies at you non-stop. I feel that the game was just too long; like they just started adding crap whether it worked or not just to pad the play time. I think that the Labyrinth/Pandora storyline felt out of place and could have been dropped and the game would have been better for it.

I experienced quite a few glitches: double-jump not always working, constant fall animations while fighting the scorpion, a door glitch in Hades, etc.

I dunno, I guess this is just an agree to disagree situation. I thought the last quarter of the game was just as big and epic as what came before.

Bought the game..haven't opened...trying really hard to finish the GOW collection before starting.

I have to say I absolutely love this game. never played the first 2 but if like this, then i did miss out.
The double tap x to double jump has caused me to die many times, but usually the checkpoint is right near by anyways. Though, it does irritate the hell out of me. It doesn't feel right to tap it twice quickly. It should be done when hes at the apex of the jump.

Myself and a couple coworkers went to pick this up last Tuesday and we have all had a great time playing it. Sony Santa Monica has a great dev team and while this release is a bit more glitchy than their previous titles, none of them have been show stoppers for me at least.

I just can't wait to see what they come out with next. The gameplay in this one was mostly the same as the previous games, meaning awesome. However, they changed things up a few times. I really appreciated the first person views in a couple sections. I thought that was a nice touch. As always, the level design was great.

Just curious if anyone else has had this same issue that I'm having. I beat the game and realized that with my preorder I also got an exclusive skin from gamestop. So I went to the website on the card I was given, put in my code, and was told that I'd get an email with instructions telling me how to download the skin. It's been two days, and I would have expected to get an email by now.

Anybody out the able to get this to work?

I don't have the code, but I've read lots of reports from people who have said they didn't get it...

In regards to the game: I think it was a fantastic game but it had quite a few problems that not everyone seems to experience.

For me, I had quite a few glitches that cause me quite a bit of lossed gameplay. I also found it odd that there was an autosave right before every glitch I ran into -- it's like they knew about it and gave you a save so you could get right back to where you were. I remember beating on the giant scorpion for ever and never got the action sequence to appear (got a 1,500 combo before I gave up).

The x and R1 buttons were horrible for me. So bad that I actually went out and bought another controller so I could play the game. It sucked thats how I found out the problem wasn't on my end. Sony told me it was either a bad controller or a corrupt hard drive, but with the number of complaints, I'm pretty sure it's not on my end. I had to pass on many chests becuase I couldn't open them -- would get half way through the animation and Kratos would stop.

The grab mechanics are pretty crappy, too. It's more noticeable when you're trying to do the challenges and you need to grab a specific enemy -- and you grab one you're not even facing.

Also noticed that I'd be running and he'd just stop. I'd have to let the controller "go back to center" and then I could move properly again.

It says alot that, even with all the problems I had, I would still highly recommend the game. I was very frustrated -- in fact, I invented about 8 new profanities, and I still loved every minute of it.

Just curious if anyone else has had this same issue that I'm having. I beat the game and realized that with my preorder I also got an exclusive skin from gamestop. So I went to the website on the card I was given, put in my code, and was told that I'd get an email with instructions telling me how to download the skin. It's been two days, and I would have expected to get an email by now.

Anybody out the able to get this to work?

Myself and another coworker are in the same boat. Starting to reconsider pre-ordering there anymore...

Back