go with the stock Wraith cooler or something else?

x509

2[H]4U
My next build will include a 3900X and 32 GB of memory, 2 x 16 GB sticks. I will run the system at stock speeds at first, but I may do an overclock later on. Workload includes Adobe Lightroom, which uses multiple cores, and Adobe Photoshop, which is single-threaded.

Is there a good reason to replace the stock Wraith cooler? If I do replace the Wraith, is there a resale market for this cooler?

It seems like for your use case, noise would be the only good reason to replace the stock cooler immediately. I don't think there is much of a resale market for them, but you could check ebay. If you don't feel like tearing into your system at a later date to install a cooler when you decide to OC, then it would be prudent to install it at build time.

Is there a noise problem with the stock Wraith cooler? I'm OK with there being no resale value, but I had to ask.

To your point about replacing the cooler when I do the build, which one?

Scythe Fuma is a nice cooler for the money. Buddy put one on his new build and loves it.

Is there a noise problem with the stock Wraith cooler? I'm OK with there being no resale value, but I had to ask.

To your point about replacing the cooler when I do the build, which one?

I have a 2700X which uses more power than the 3900X and comes with the same cooler.

The stock cooler is noisy, not because of the sustained noise but because the default fan profile causes the fan speed to change instantly with temps, and what is noisy with the Prism is the fan changing speeds constantly.

Example: If you open a browser you'll hear it spin up then spin down... Open Word? It will audibly spin up then instantly spin down again.

Pretty much solved it by setting the fan to run at almost 60-70% in the BIOS until a critical temperature (at which, it is free to run up to 100%)

I'd say -- use the stock cooler first, then change it out if you find it too noisy. Even if you overclock with a good cooling solution, you're looking at 200-300mhz at best. It's really up to you if it's worth the money. If you do it for the hobby, sure why not.

A better cooler will get you better clocks, but it's not an easy thing to measure. I'm inclined to think that if you've spent for a 3900X, it makes sense to spend another $50 for a Mugen 5 or Thermalright Macho, which will cool better and quieter than the Prism.

There's certainly no harm in building with the stock cooler and upgrading later.

A better cooler will get you better clocks, but it's not an easy thing to measure. I'm inclined to think that if you've spent for a 3900X, it makes sense to spend another $50 for a Mugen 5 or Thermalright Macho, which will cool better and quieter than the Prism.

There's certainly no harm in building with the stock cooler and upgrading later.

^This is what I would do both of those coolers work great and are not expensive. Not necessary when you first buy the system, but if you find the computer is too loud, or you want to overclock then buy an aftermarket cooler.

The cooler that comes with it is fine for stock use. You add PBO enabled where it enables to CPU to use more power from the VRM by raising the limits for it to use whatever it can and you will run into the 95C limit wall. Better cooling allows the CPU to reach its max speeds. The CPU will only boost as high as the cooling allows. Better cooling = better boost clocks.

Reactions: x509
like this
Fractal Design Celsius S36. With a 3900X you're gonna need to set up a fan power curve for the PWM. The water pump head can be set for PWM control via the MoBo which is the best setting to use actually but there is an Auto setting as well. Can be found New on eBay from Newegg for $117 or go to the Egg's website ... that's what I paid over 1 year ago so it's a good price and it's expandable (though doing that will void the warranty). Excellent build quality, metal connectors, braided hoses, copper head plate, aluminum radiator and VERY tidy wire routing and long life fans

IMHO best review is here ---- > https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fractal-design-celsius-s36-review,1.html

Completed Builds with Ryzen 3900X Using Fractal Design Celsius S36 Liquid CPU Cooler. There are other Ryzen CPU's listed there so you have to scroll down the page some to find 3900X: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/NMtWGX

Last edited:
Scythe Fuma is a nice cooler for the money. Buddy put one on his new build and loves it.

I have one of these cooling a 3600. It's all about mounting pressure. The new Rev. 2 doesn't clamp down as hard as the Rev. 1 and therefore doesn't cool as well. Easier to mount though.

Back