Go with 3800x or wait for 3900x to resupply

Kajun614

Limp Gawd
Was thinking of the 3800x(it's in stock locally) and putting that $100 towards an M2 drive. (the $97 1tb one from microcenter)
If the 3900x was in stock I would probably just buy it just because.

I dunno but not an easy choice. $100 for 50% more cores is the other side of the argument.
I can be patient I guess but I already have the case, cooling, power supply and reusing my gtx1080(for the time being)
The $50 off deal at micro center sure makes it nice to live near one that's for sure.

Was thinking of the 3800x(it's in stock locally) and putting that $100 towards an M2 drive. (the $97 1tb one from microcenter)

I dunno but not an easy choice. $100 for 50% more cores is the other side of the argument.
I can be patient I guess but I already have the case, cooling, power supply and reusing my gtx1080(for the time being)
The $50 off deal at micro center sure makes it nice to live near one that's for sure.
What's your current CPU?

I5-3570k (7ish years old?)
I dont upgrade often so that is why I thought 3900x
I started making videos of gaming and it is pushing my old cpu hard. its fine gaming on it's own but throw in over stuff at the same time and it shows its age. Would like to start making videos for work soon and that is a whole new aspect. Used to only game on my pc and now im doing stuff I never thought of before. Next thing you know I will be streaming lol.. probably not but just saying rofl

I started making videos of gaming and it is pushing my old cpu hard. its fine gaming on it's own but throw in over stuff at the same time and it shows its age. Would like to start making videos for work soon and that is a whole new aspect. Used to only game on my pc and now im doing stuff I never thought of before. Next thing you know I will be streaming lol.. probably not but just saying rofl
I’d wait for the restock personally. Especially if you find yourself going more in that direction.

3900x seems to be getting resulplied at Newegg pretty regularly you just need to jump on it quick before it goes OOS again.

I wouldn't go straight to the 3900x in your use case. It's a 500 buck cpu that is awesome, but you likely won't even be using most of the power of it. A 3700-3800 will likely do it for you and anything you do in the future. You are, literally, doubling the processor cores (or quadrupling if your i5 was only four threads). Put the money you save into that M.2 Drive, be sure to get one that has a decent TBW rating (400+) so it lasts. Between the M.2 and the Processor uplift you will see a larger benefit if you are coming off of a standard SSD or even a mechanical hard disk.

Pickup a B450 or X470 Motherboard and save even more money. Just some thoughts for you. I was eyeballing the lower end X570 boards, not sure if your Microcenter carries the 169 buck variants

AMD will release the Ryzen 3 next year, which is going to be superior, drop into the same socket, and you might just want to look at actually increasing your upgrade cadence and save the bucks for whatever they come up with next year.

If you think you need the cores, wait. I'm guessing silicon quality will only improve as time goes on.

so 3900x instock reserved with motherboard @ $50 off combo
The 5700 is $50 off as well when purchased with cpu. So, I might get one and change the cooler on it.

Now out of stock on 3900x but mine is reserved @ least
gotta love microcenter

edit. just saw a openbox 3800x already at microcenter. 339

Back