GO Q6600 Idleing at 55c?

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed a GO stepping Q6600 in my new pc and it is running really frickin hot. Core 0, the hottest core, idles at 56c and loads at 61c and the other cores idle at about 51c. This wouldn't be too bad if I was still running the stock cooler with a mild overclock but I'm running a Thermalright SI-128 with Arctic Silver 5 and a 1500 rpm fan and the cpu is still running at those temps at 2.4ghz! I'm even undervolting the cpu to 1.175v so there's no way it should be running this hot. I have no idea what's going on here, any ideas? I was expecting a little more considering the combo cost me $220. :(

re seat your heatsink. also how as5 are you applying?

A lot Core 2's have a problem with concave heat spreaders. Check your processor and heatsink surfaces with a razor to see if yours is one of them. If they are, then you may have to lap one or both.

This is a classic case of off-angle mounting. You aren't getting full contact on the heatspreader to the heatsink. Either reseat or lap both surfaces flat.

Thanks for the helps guys. Yeah I guess I can try reseating, this one uses those stupid twist mounting clips like the stock Intel coolers so they're a pain in the ass to seat properly.

I reseated the HSF and with the side panel off I have C0 idling at 46c, C1 idling at 42c, and C3/C4 idling at 38c. That's a pretty big drop and I'm pretty happy with the temps of C3/C4 but I'm a little disappointed with the temps of C0. I think this is probably due to my case though; I'm using the Lian V350 so the PSU is mounted right above the HSF forcing me to run the fan in pull mode rather than push mode. That's two Lians that've disappointed so far so I guess I'll be moving to Silverstone for my next build. :rolleyes:

Can't you turn the HSF by plus or minus 90 degrees? Or even 180? The holes are on a square - the only issue is where the HSF hits obstructions.

Back