Go from Opteron 252 to Opteron 165?

DBZ33

Gawd
Hey guys. I am thinking of selling my Opteron 252 system and going with an Opteron 165 and overclocking it. The problem is that I am not guaranteed that I will hit over 2.6GHz and if I don't then I am going down in speed. I use my system for playing BF2 and the regular stuff download music, go on the internet, and check email. Nothing crazy. If I sold my system I would be able to buy everything I need and still have a good amount of money left.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it or just wait for new stuff to come out? Thanks for your help.

Why move from an expandable duallie to a limited single-processor board? It seems an odd move.

unhappy_mage said:
Why move from an expandable duallie to a limited single-processor board? It seems an odd move.

Because I can't overclock the SM H8DCE hardly at all. Also the 939 boards will let you run faster ram. Maybe I ojust wait and see what the AMD M2 will do.

I personally would keep the dual 252's since they are more expandable (dual-dual cores down the road, NUMA support, higher max ram capacity, etc.). If you're already got a full-blown dual 940 setup I see no reason to go to a dual-core 939. dual-core 939's are really just for people who can't afford true 940's :D

How much you want for it? I'm in the market. Just the board, I can't afford 252s.

unhappy_mage said:
How much you want for it? I'm in the market. Just the board, I can't afford 252s.

Im sorry but if I do sell. It will be the motherboard with the 252's. I think I might wait till the socket 940 dual cores come down in price. Or wait and see what Intel does with there next CPU?

DBZ33 said:
Hey guys. I am thinking of selling my Opteron 252 system and going with an Opteron 165 and overclocking it. The problem is that I am not guaranteed that I will hit over 2.6GHz and if I don't then I am going down in speed. I use my system for playing BF2 and the regular stuff download music, go on the internet, and check email. Nothing crazy. If I sold my system I would be able to buy everything I need and still have a good amount of money left.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it or just wait for new stuff to come out? Thanks for your help.
I really don't think you'd see much of an increase in performance at all, from just playing games and web browsing. Memory would be faster.. but probably a negligable increase, I don't think it would be worth the cost of almost a new system, though.

I say wait until Socket AM2 or something. Unless you can pretty much trade your system for a socket 939 system.

Well, if you're even considering it, you probably don't use your system to the fullest extent anyways

Vertigo Acid said:
Well, if you're even considering it, you probably don't use your system to the fullest extent anyways

No I really don't use it to its fullest. I always wanted a dual cpu system and this was my first. It is a sick system but I was thinking that I could have a similar system and put some of the money in my pocket. I have a EVga 7800GTX and wanted to get the 7900 when it comes out, so I was thinking that I could use that money toward the 7900. I guess I will wait a little longer and see what comes out later this year.

from your usage, it seems like even a dual core would go to waste. if you can make money on the deal, i'd make the switch. it's not as if you're running a server and might need the dual dual core expandability in the future (unless that might actually become a reality). my guess is that you could go with the lowest stock clocked dual core and not notice a difference in performance

I find it a bit odd you can't OC on the H8DCE...every report I've seen has successful overclocks, via BIOS or Clockgen.

movax said:
I find it a bit odd you can't OC on the H8DCE...every report I've seen has successful overclocks, via BIOS or Clockgen.

If you read on 2cpu.com some have had luck and others like me didn't get that high. The highest my 252's went were 2.7GHZ. I wanted to get 2.8 or higher. I just read that in Feb Amd is cutting it prices on the Opteron dual core cpus. They will be almost half price. I think I will get a pair of Dual Core cpus and a new 7900GTX when it comes out.

Would you guys sell the 252's and get a pair of 275's? Dual dual core? I can get a good price on a pair. Please let me know soon. Thanks for all your help guys.

Back