Go from an '08 unibody MBP to a newer MBP? Yay or nay?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
I'm currently using an '08 15" 2.8GHz MBP and I was thinking about trading up for a newer 2.8GHz MBP model simply because of the better battery life.

I could easily sell my current machine for somewhere in the $1500 range. the laptop is in 100% prestine condition and of course I have all the packaging stuff, etc....

so the way I look at it, I'd probably be looking at spending $500 or so after everything is said and done. my question is, do you guys and gals think $500 would be worth it to get:

-better battery life
-Firewire
-SD memory card slot

what do you think?

How can anyone else but you determine that?

It sounds like throwing away $500 to me.

I'm currently using an '08 15" 2.8GHz MBP and I was thinking about trading up for a newer 2.8GHz MBP model simply because of the better battery life.

I could easily sell my current machine for somewhere in the $1500 range. the laptop is in 100% prestine condition and of course I have all the packaging stuff, etc....

so the way I look at it, I'd probably be looking at spending $500 or so after everything is said and done. my question is, do you guys and gals think $500 would be worth it to get:

-better battery life
-Firewire
-SD memory card slot

what do you think?

Keep it, don't fall for the typical apple situation. 'Having the newest thing'. That just means down the line (when it's actually time to upgrade) you'll have something much nicer. I personally think the SD Card slot is useless, the MBP already has a FW800 Port, and the lack of a user replaceable battery is COMPLETELY STUPID. Especially for any power user.

Hold on to it, and upgrade in 3 years. They'll have quad cores in the MBP's along with an equivalent i7 Mobile.

Keep it. In 6-8 months they will change it up again. Just remember that there is always another one around the corner that will be better. So unless you want to spend $500 twice a year upgrading your computer, just realize that the money will be better spent buying whatever Apple has in 2013.

Keep your current MBP. I don't buy Apple's claims about that perma-battery. Like aaronearles wrote, you'd be pissing away $500 for the most minor of improvements.

I sold my 2.8ghz 15" unibody macbook pro yesterday, and got $1900 for it. Will I buy the new one though? Probably not.

Upgrading just for the battery is only something you can determine by examining your usage habits. Firewire was already on your current mac, and the SD slot is like a $15 expresscard adapter away.... so selling it to upgrade might not be the best idea.

My laptop needs are temporarily being filled by my company, so speaking as someone who actually sold their MBP already, I think the soonest I would even consider buying an apple laptop again would be after snow leopard comes out.

Personally I'd just keep the current MBP. Spending another 500 bucks on some extra battery life and an SD card slot doesn't seem worth it to me. Like GnomeCop said, you can buy an adapter for reading SD cards. If you need some additional battery life you *could* get another battery. Either way I'd just wait maybe another year or so, and upgrade to a new MPB when some more significant spec changes have been made.

Last edited:
Because Intel and nVidia have updated mobile chips either in the works for this yea, or already announced, I suggest you hold off until the next generation of both are used in the Macbook. I'm waiting for the same thing to upgrade from my nVidia Macbook, and I'm willing to wait a year, since I'm able to function well with my current mac. When the new stuff comes out, it will not only have the new battery tech, but also the new cpu & gpu.

Back