Go for the 5950x or risk waiting for 11900k?

DeSelby

n00b
Hi all,
Long time lurker, been a while since I posted here.

So I'm in a pretty good position now to get a new PC. My work will be financing about 90% of the cost. The issue is that I need to start ordering the components during the coming couple of weeks.
I need to finish ordering everything by late January early February at the latest, and so far I've only ordered a couple of 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe.

Since I already need to wait a bit for GPU restock, do you think it would be wise to wait and see how the 11900K performs against the 5950x and risk ordering early February, or just go for the 5950x?
Reading online, it looks like there's a consensus that Intel will have a hard time catching up to AMD this coming year, so I'm leaning towards going with AMD.

The PC will mostly be used for gaming, non-professional Blender projects and some work tasks that don't require any special hardware.

Thanks!

From what I hear/read the 11 Gen will be slower in multi-thread but faster or the same in single-thread and eventually will be cheaper than current gen.
So this will give on Intel a little advantage in some games as more FPS (again eventually).

Yes most this are rumours but this all that we know at the moment.

These are hard to compare as new i9 is going to be 8 cores only. You really can't compare it to 5950. Seems like Intel needs 8 cores max to push for higher clocks. If you want to wait you'd have to wait for DDR5 platforms from both AMD and Intel, and that's a long wait. So I'd just take whatever you feel is good NOW, and don't think about upgrading it in two years. Two years from now everything may be so different that any upgrade to currently available platform will feel like sidegrade.

It's the wrong comparison. Intel doesn't have an answer for the 5950x right now. The closest direct comparison is the 5800x. Whether or not you need more than 8 cores is probably debatable though if you don't already know you need them.

It's the wrong comparison. Intel doesn't have an answer for the 5950x right now. The closest direct comparison is the 5800x. Whether or not you need more than 8 cores is probably debatable though if you don't already know you need them.
Oh I certainly don't need them. This is more a case of take the best you can get, since I'm not paying for most of it.
I thought maybe I'm missing something about Intel's upcoming CPUs, and didn't want to learn two weeks from now when they announce them, that they're now crushing AMD.
It looks like even if Intel manages to squeeze a few more frames in games, they'll have to make big compromises elsewhere.

Oh I certainly don't need them. This is more a case of take the best you can get, since I'm not paying for most of it.
I thought maybe I'm missing something about Intel's upcoming CPUs, and didn't want to learn two weeks from now when they announce them, that they're now crushing AMD.
It looks like even if Intel manages to squeeze a few more frames in games, they'll have to make big compromises elsewhere.
They won't be crushing amd, maybe get a slight lead in fps. The best part of rocket lake is intel will put in pci-e 4.0

They won't be crushing amd, maybe get a slight lead in fps. The best part of rocket lake is intel will put in pci-e 4.0
Crushing is the wrong word, but Rocket Lake will lead in gaming - they'll be the fastest 8 cores, period. The benchmark leaks so far line up with the publicly stated "double digit IPC uplift".

But if one needs more PCIe lanes (like 2+ NVMe SSD and need to copy data between them) or run highly multithreaded apps, or want to host VM's, 5900/5950 all the way.

Last edited:
It's the wrong comparison. Intel doesn't have an answer for the 5950x right now.

Nor is there a great need for an answer, considering they're virtually non-existent, and for that reason, might not have a choice but to wait for the 11900k.

Nor is there a great need for an answer, considering they're virtually non-existent, and for that reason, might not have a choice but to wait for the 11900k.

I don't know. I found one and I wasn't even looking that hard.

I don't know. I found one and I wasn't even looking that hard.
Umm... yeah they are really hard to find. According to your posts you had to trade a 3080 to get the 5950 (!) and you also said you had looked forever for a 5900. Be accurate here to the OP - it's really hard to find a 5900 or 5950 right now, really hard.

sounds like you did try and did experience the supply shortage I was talking about, so the “I don’t know” part of your reply to me was, well. BS.

Whatever. I've had access to all four ryzen 5xxx CPUs from retail channels. As in, I actually purchased two, and turned down the others (5800x because it's not a good buy IMO, and a 5950x because I already had one). You call it whatever you want. Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Whatever. I've had access to all four ryzen 5xxx CPUs from retail channels. As in, I actually purchased two, and turned down the others (5800x because it's not a good buy IMO, and a 5950x because I already had one). You call it whatever you want. Welcome to my ignore list.
I already called it BS.

Back