GNS3 - What cisco IOS would be best to use?

techtips

Gawd
Hello everybody, I've just started my CCNP Advanced routing and multilayer switching classes and I am having difficulty getting into the lab.

We are using some basic 2811 routers and 3550/3560 switches. I've read that GNS3 can't emulate the 2811 router and switching is a no go. I'm not sure what routers I can use that would be comparable to the 2811.

How could I emulate a switch if GNS3 can't do switching? Would I be able to use a router IOS configured and have it act as a switch?

Sorry, I'm a GNS3 n00b trying to move away from packet tracer.

GNS3 doesn't do switching so you'll need physical switches. Why do you have to have a 2800 series router? You should be able to use a 2600XM image and get everything you need for CCNP.

If you can get physical routers you would be better off. I have a GNS3 setup and I just don't like it as well. That isn't to say that it won't work, I just prefer to have the actual hardware.

I prefer actual hardware also, but for home and such I need something quick to practice on. The only reason I want to use GNS3 is so I can do some packet captures via wireshark.

I've read that I can use a 37xx series router and have that operate as a switch, but such a ghetto soluton.

12.1 and up is what is on the exam. Use that. I am using 15.x on my routers and and switches now.

The "c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-23" is what you want. This is pretty much the best image to use with GNS3. Keith Barker did an awesome series with CBT Nugget on GNS3. He pretty much covers everything you need to know on using GNS3.

*Edit
If you want to use virtual switches then I would suggest webiou. It's a virtual machine you telnet / ssh into. You can get your CCIE with that if you wish. The only downside is issues with etherchannels.

Last edited:
The "c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-23" is what you want. This is pretty much the best image to use with GNS3. Keith Barker did an awesome series with CBT Nugget on GNS3. He pretty much covers everything you need to know on using GNS3.

*Edit
If you want to use virtual switches then I would suggest webiou. It's a virtual machine you telnet / ssh into. You can get your CCIE with that if you wish. The only downside is issues with etherchannels.

Thank you Elvis!
Could I use the C3725 image to replicate my '28xx' and 3550 switch? I've noticed that the Cisco 3725 has a large amount of Fast Ethernet ports so I could possibly have it act as a switch, could I not?

Thank you Elvis!
Could I use the C3725 image to replicate my '28xx' and 3550 switch? I've noticed that the Cisco 3725 has a large amount of Fast Ethernet ports so I could possibly have it act as a switch, could I not?

Yes. You can use whatever image you want for the switches. GNS3 is going to limit you on what you can do with the switches. This is why if you plan on going past CCNP then to buy physical switches. What most people do is this...

Best Solution
2x 3550 ( physical )
2x 3560 ( physical )
GNS3 8x 3725 routers ( depending on RAM )
USB hub
8x USB -> Ethernet adapters ( each 3725 will have it's own nic connected to the switches )

Cheap Solution
2x 2950 ( physical )
2x 3550 ( physical )
GNS3 8x 3725 routers ( I have 24 Gig of RAM in my laptop )

This is my setup and the only limitation is with the switches for CCIE topics.

Yes. You can use whatever image you want for the switches. GNS3 is going to limit you on what you can do with the switches. This is why if you plan on going past CCNP then to buy physical switches. What most people do is this...

Best Solution
2x 3550 ( physical )
2x 3560 ( physical )
GNS3 8x 3725 routers ( depending on RAM )
USB hub
8x USB -> Ethernet adapters ( each 3725 will have it's own nic connected to the switches )

Cheap Solution
2x 2950 ( physical )
2x 3550 ( physical )
GNS3 8x 3725 routers ( I have 24 Gig of RAM in my laptop )

This is my setup and the only limitation is with the switches for CCIE topics.

Great info. I've got 4 3750G's and an old HP box with 8GB of RAM and 4 NICs running GNS3. Like I said I just couldn't get GNS3 to play right. I'll have to research the CBT Nugget you mentioned and look at reconfiguring as you have it above.

I don't know if I'll ever get to CCIE but I'm going to finish my CCNA in the next month and the move straight to CCNP.

Great info. I've got 4 3750G's and an old HP box with 8GB of RAM and 4 NICs running GNS3. Like I said I just couldn't get GNS3 to play right. I'll have to research the CBT Nugget you mentioned and look at reconfiguring as you have it above.

I don't know if I'll ever get to CCIE but I'm going to finish my CCNA in the next month and the move straight to CCNP.

4x 3750gs where did you snag those lol. I'm pretty jealous about that

4x 3750gs where did you snag those lol. I'm pretty jealous about that

haha. We upgraded our data center from 24 port 3750G series to 48 port 3750X switch stacks. We ended up with about 20 extra switches so 4 of them made there way into my lab :cool:

Back