GN: Intel PCIe Socketable Computer: Tear-Down of Ghost Canyon NUC SFF PC

Come on, man. Goldmont is Atom, not Core, and yousaid "no such thing as an Atom NUCs." Now you're moving the goalposts, but even if you wanna pretend Goldmont isn't Atom, I'll point out you never specified "no such thing as an Atom NUC released after 2018" and point out the DE3815TYKHE, released in 2014, seen here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...intel-nuc-kit-with-intel-atom-processors.html on a page titled "Intel® NUC Kit with Intel® Atom® Processors".

Naturally I'm talking about devices I currently sell - In present tense. There is no 'Atom' based NUC currently provided by Intel, not interested in arguing such a stupid point. Especially when I never even mentioned the Celeron based NUC in discussion.

not interested in arguing such a stupid point. Especially when I never even mentioned the Celeron based NUC in discussion.

Now we come to the part of the conversation where the gaslighting begins.

Also..: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpower-nuc-nox-mini-pc-ces

Intel seems to be getting plenty of traction with its Compute Element card, which combines a 45-Watt H Series CPU, M.2 storage and other components on a PCIe add-in card. The company has its own lunchbox-shaped Ghost Canyon model. Razer is working on a longer, sleeker Tomahawk desktop that the company says will support up to an RTX 2080. And Cyperpower’s Nox Mini is a similarly long and low form factor in a 7.5-liter NUC case and power supply made by Cooler Master, which will come in black or white.

This is exaclty why I would like to see AMD come up with new SFF option, and push it. You get much more traction with AMD behind it, that with one AIB partner like Asrock.

OTOH, an AMD Computer Element Card with new Ryzen 4000 APU would be very tasty.

Reactions: Auer
like this
This is exaclty why I would like to see AMD come up with new SFF option, and push it. You get much more traction with AMD behind it, that with one AIB partner like Asrock.

OTOH, an AMD Computer Element Card with new Ryzen 4000 APU would be very tasty.

I hope this takes off, I think its cool.

The SFF DYI crowd is already hissing, spitting and gnashing teeth tho lol.

The SFF DYI crowd is already hissing, spitting and gnashing teeth tho lol.

Seems more like they're just pissy that something is coming along that makes it super easy to have a powerful SFF system and it makes their little community a bit less selective and special. Happens to every niche community when something comes along that allows "normals"to enter it.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/7/2...ost-canyon-element-hands-on-teardown-ces-2020

AFAICT, Prices in this case include the Case, Backplane, PSU, and Compute card.

That would be better but still terrible. A desktop 9900K + cooler + Z390 ITX + chassis + 600W SFX PSU is under $1100. You get commodity parts and much healthier secondary market if you ever wanted to take part. These could very well go the way of BTX or any of the other things Intel has proposed and abandoned in recent years.

Naturally I'm talking about devices I currently sell - In present tense. There is no 'Atom' based NUC currently provided by Intel, not interested in arguing such a stupid point. Especially when I never even mentioned the Celeron based NUC in discussion.

This thread is about these bigNUC SFF-targeted gaming machines but you came in here bragging about your sales of office slowboxes as proof of the market of this thing...

Seems more like they're just pissy that something is coming along that makes it super easy to have a powerful SFF system and it makes their little community a bit less selective and special. Happens to every niche community when something comes along that allows "normals"to enter it.

Read that linked thread and I'm not sure how you got that out of those posts. With the original NUC's they offered legitimate benefits like actual size savings over traditional form factors as one justification for going that way. No such thing with these. And you still have to build out the system yourself so it's not like it's turnkey solution.

It's like Intel looked at their abandoned compute cards and the SFF fad and devised a way to try and get in and capture as much of the revenue for themselves as possible (CPU + chipset + motherboard on top).

Read that linked thread and I'm not sure how you got that out of those posts. With the original NUC's they offered legitimate benefits like actual size savings over traditional form factors as one justification for going that way. No such thing with these. And you still have to build out the system yourself so it's not like it's turnkey solution.

It's like Intel looked at their abandoned compute cards and the SFF fad and devised a way to try and get in and capture as much of the revenue for themselves as possible (CPU + chipset + motherboard on top).

I did read it, my opinion still stands.

These still offer smaller sizes, they also offer a lot more options. "Build out" is a bit of an overstatment of what these require. You are not required to add a GPU to any of these NUCs. You'd have to add the same things to a barebones Ghost Canyon as you would any barebones NUC purchase.

Who cares if Intel is poking their head into the SSF space and trying to get money from it? That kind of statement is exactly why I stated my opinion on the SSF community's reaction to this. It's nothing more than people being pissy that their little community isn't as "special" or exclusive as it used to be.

I did read it, my opinion still stands.

These still offer smaller sizes, they also offer a lot more options. "Build out" is a bit of an overstatment of what these require. You are not required to add a GPU to any of these NUCs. You'd have to add the same things to a barebones Ghost Canyon as you would any barebones NUC purchase.

Who cares if Intel is poking their head into the SSF space and trying to get money from it? That kind of statement is exactly why I stated my opinion on the SSF community's reaction to this. It's nothing more than people being pissy that their little community isn't as "special" or exclusive as it used to be.

Why repeat the same false BS? It's not smaller and they could have done it with the same ITX stuff that's been around for years without sacrificing size. The main complaints I'm seeing and the same ones I have are price and not taking ITX. I'm still waiting to hear of benefits beyond saving the step of putting CPU into socket and attaching cooler. This doesn't make SFF any more accessible in the least.

Why repeat the same false BS? It's not smaller and they could have done it with the same ITX stuff that's been around for years without sacrificing size. The main complaints I'm seeing and the same ones I have are price and not taking ITX. I'm still waiting to hear of benefits beyond saving the step of putting CPU into socket and attaching cooler. This doesn't make SFF any more accessible in the least.

Why is it not being ITX a big hangup? It's not ITX because that isn't the form factor Intel is going for. It being ITX doesn't magically make it better or cheaper. Also, I'm not entirely sure that price is that much of a factor when we're talking about high-end hardware.

How it is not more accessible? Are you seriously trying to argue that planning out and building a high-end gaming SFF system into the smallest possible case is easier than slapping a couple components and a cooler onto a board and slotting it and GPU onto a PCI-E card?

like this
This thing seems pretty cool but I imagine the price is going to kill it for me. I have purchased NUC systems before and do like them but they are normally over priced. If Intel and AMD were both making modules for these things and they were going to be supported in the future I could see myself investing in one. Buy yourself a nice high end case and just slot in a new module every few years that could be nice.

Slightly off topic but tangentially related: So, for people that want something like those NUC cases in a standard ITX format, it looks like iBuyPower has you covered.

Video should start on the Revolt case. Company isn't sure if they'll be selling it stand-alone or not, but if they do it should be around $200.

like this
Why is it not being ITX a big hangup? It's not ITX because that isn't the form factor Intel is going for. It being ITX doesn't magically make it better or cheaper. Also, I'm not entirely sure that price is that much of a factor when we're talking about high-end hardware.

How it is not more accessible? Are you seriously trying to argue that planning out and building a high-end gaming SFF system into the smallest possible case is easier than slapping a couple components and a cooler onto a board and slotting it and GPU onto a PCI-E card?

Most importantly, when you place it on a cheap ass Ikea table with a succulent in a white pot next to it no one will know the difference

Also don't forget to lean a controller up to it as well.

#aesthetic

Back