GM200 - New Titan, or the 980ti

Ultranifty

Limp Gawd
The only info you can find out there on WHAT the GM200 is going to be, all you can find is unreliable info on WCCFTech, Christian websites, or Korean drama websites, and these are only designed to get you to go click their sites. Not reliable information and they run the same info day after day.

I'm trying to find more info or opinions on WHAT the GM200 is going to become. So it seems there's a conflict of information that says it could be a new Titan or a 980ti, hard to know which one. I'll be upgrading to 2 GM200's if they're $700-750, or I'll just go with a 395x2 near end of year, but check it:

-- GM200 seems like it's a Titan --
- It's got 12GB, regular gaming cards don't come with 12GB. 12GB is more for Quadro/Tesla
- It's about the time of year that a new Titan should come out
- It's got a huge die size

but then....

-- GM200 seems like a 980ti --
- It's got bad FP64 (floating point) performance, and I thought Titans did well on this
- AMD 390x is coming soon, probably $700-750 pricetag, Nvidia needs to have something to combat this. $1000-1350 Titan isn't going to compete, so makes me think this'll be 980ti instead and priced same as 390x.

I doubt Nvidia will just let 390x come out and lose a bunch of business to them by not having a card to compete with the 390x. Course I guess they could just lower the cost of their 980's and keep working on the Pascal's.

I also don't get the rumors of 390x coming out soon, and it's 20nm with TSMC, but yet other rumors talk about Nvidia production delays with TSMC. Don't get how TSMC can do it ok on 20nm, but can't with 28nm?

What you think the GM200 is going to be?
-

Last edited:
The GM200 can be and probably will be a Titan/980ti/Quadro/Tesla card. Just in various configurations.

The GM200 can be and probably will be a Titan/980ti/Quadro/Tesla card. Just in various configurations.

True, good point. We might see several cards from this. I supposed I'm just getting impatient and just want to know if 980ti's are coming out this year. If not, then I'll have to settle for a 395x2 and AMD's drivers

IF it has bad fp64 perf, it's not a Titan or Tesla or Quadro, it's a 980ti, 990 etc whatever they decide to call it.

In which case, there will probably be a Titan which will be clocked slightly higher, with more memory, and better FP64 performance.

I don't know why there would be a 980 Ti. It's pretty easy to see they're following the same formula they did with the 600/700 series.

I am sure we will see GM200 cards (yes, multiple) this year because AMD will force them to release more powerful GPUs when they release the 300 series.

Whether Nvidia can release and get $1000 for a "Titan" depends on what AMD is able to pull off. I still expect them to release a Titan branded card with an exclusive 12 GB of memory. Pricing will depend on AMD, although it may not. They may stick to their guns and make you fork over $1000 for 12 GB of memory.

So, to answer your question, GM200 will no doubt be multiple cards. Nvidia is never going to design a GPU to only capture a single segment of the market. They are going to differentiate it into as many products as possible to capture as much of the market as they can and maximize the return on their investment.

However, I can't understand why people think there will be a 980 Ti. I am nearly certain the 980 is the last of the 900 series. I expect the first GM200 to be a Titan card with a new series based on GM200 and GM204 refreshes later in the year exactly like we saw in 2013 with the Titan to 700 series sequence.

As for FP64, it sounds like GM200 won't be great for that. They simply have not built the FP64 units into the GPU. It's not a gimp as we normally see it with units disabled. It just isn't built into the GPU at all. I suspect this is because they did not have the die space to get adequate 3D performance and heavy FP64 without a process shrink.

I can't wait to see how the HBM on the 390/395x performs. Should be a very interesting year!

It'll appear in order of price of product, highest first. ;)

I'm not sure they'll do a Titan this time around. There was good prestige there, but I can't imagine they sold many at that price point, and it made the range a bit confused.

I reckon GM200 will be a 980Ti with 4 or 6GB ram, more likely still 4 (more numbers are better, but devs don't seem to be in a hurry to push that envelope), and the Tesla with 12.

Then we'll be into Pascal.

There might be multiple SKUs

For example:
12GB Vram, fully unlocked chip, no power limits - Titan 2
and one or two 6GB variants with some part of the chip locked, normal power limit - those could be 980ti/990 etc.

Insane amount of vram would make it atractive to part of userbase.

I'm not sure they'll do a Titan this time around. There was good prestige there, but I can't imagine they sold many at that price point, and it made the range a bit confused.

I reckon GM200 will be a 980Ti with 4 or 6GB ram, more likely still 4 (more numbers are better, but devs don't seem to be in a hurry to push that envelope), and the Tesla with 12.

Then we'll be into Pascal.

GM200 is 384-bit. 384-bit cards cannot have 4GB of RAM. The GM200 will either be in 3GB, 6GB, or 12GB.

GM200 is 384-bit. 384-bit cards cannot have 4GB of RAM. The GM200 will either be in 3GB, 6GB, or 12GB.

Actually this is not true with Maxwell anymore. The controversy over the 970 and its 3.5+.5GB memory is because they can tie memory up in new ways. At this point I would say any memory size and bus combination is possible.

Titan-X

12GB frame buffer
8 billion transistors

they just announced it at epics GDC presentation

Well I hope they release another round of the top binned Titans. I fucking love mine.

Actually this is not true with Maxwell anymore. The controversy over the 970 and its 3.5+.5GB memory is because they can tie memory up in new ways. At this point I would say any memory size and bus combination is possible.

that's called asynchronous memory controller and its been used since a very long long time.. since the GTX 500 series..

IWAuLfY.jpg

Back