GM Will Rent Cars To Lyft Drivers For $99/Week

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like GM will be renting SUVs to Lyft drivers, including insurance and maintenance, for $99 per week. The fee is waived if the driver provides more than sixty five rides a week.

If you were wondering what General Motors planned to do with its $500 million investment in ride-sharing service Lyft, you might have an answer; or at least part of one. The carmaker will now rent out Chevy Equinox SUVs to prospective drivers who lack the all-important piece of the ride-sharing puzzle: a set of wheels.

65 rides a week? That is almost 10 rides every day of the week. That's more than one person an hour. Good luck.

that is cheaper than buying your own vehicle.

I wonder if you can build the one you rent?
2016-equinox.jpg

Last edited:
$20 a day if (only) working 5 days a week?! With maintenance and insurance included!?

Wow, that is a good deal! Too good me thinks to last long... Gonna need to read the fine print...

I thought it was interesting until i saw it was an equinox. Fuck that. Plus the .20 a mile they charge makes that $99 not near as appealing. 65 rides a week can be pretty hard in a lot of cities.

Lyft says the program was created as a response to the high number of people who apply to be drivers but lack a qualifying vehicle. For example, the company says 60,000 Chicago residents applied to drive last year, but didn’t make the cut because they had no car.

Now this is whats scary to me and will potentially ruin this whole uber/lyft experiment for good. Why in the hell are they trying to cater to people like that? The whole reason people take uber/lyft rides instead of calling a cab is because they want a ride with someone clean who speaks English. Catering to people who cant afford a qualifying car is scary as hell. i dont know Lyfts specific car requirements but i know Uber its dead simple, 10 years old or newer. Am i just being a judgemental ass or what? The whole reason people stopped taking cabs is to get away from these kinds of people that over ran the cab industry and now they are trying to get them to drive for lyft???

Honestly though I know a guy that drives for uber in a base model versa, manual transmission even and he gets no complaints.

that is cheaper than buying your own vehicle.

I wonder if you can build the one you rent?
No. Its going to be pretty low end and you can only rent it for a maximum of 8 weeks at a time. When you consider that if you do less than 40 runs a week you are also subject to .20 a mile fee its not that great. You think 65 runs a week sounds easy and in some cities it is but in others thats an 80 hour work week.

$20 a day if (only) working 5 days a week?! With maintenance and insurance included!?

Wow, that is a good deal! Too good me thinks to last long... Gonna need to read the fine print...

$400/month, fleet insurance policy, base Equinox. It's not a bad deal, but not crazy great. GM does get advertising out of it, everyone who rides in the SUV gets to see and feel it.

I work for an auto finance company.

years ago, my company entered into an agreement with UBER to do a similar program, where those that wanted to drive for UBER could get preferential financing options on vehicles.

The program ended terribly, and only a small amount of loans originated from it.

What was surprising about this whole thing was, how bad Uber was at providing the data we required to originate loans. It's almost like they were tech illiterate. They were also unresponsive to changing their systems to facilitate a better integration.

I don't understand how anyone could rationalize making a living being an AD HOC chauffeur.

I don't understand how anyone could rationalize making a living being an AD HOC chauffeur.

Really? You must have lived under a rock for the last 30 years if you dont understand why people would do something that requires no education, experience, or anything just a car and a license...

Hmm... next time I go on vacation I need to see if I can be a Lyft driver in the place I'm visiting, and completely strike out with 0 pick ups.

I thought it was interesting until i saw it was an equinox. Fuck that. Plus the .20 a mile they charge makes that $99 not near as appealing. 65 rides a week can be pretty hard in a lot of cities.

Now this is whats scary to me and will potentially ruin this whole uber/lyft experiment for good. Why in the hell are they trying to cater to people like that? The whole reason people take uber/lyft rides instead of calling a cab is because they want a ride with someone clean who speaks English. Catering to people who cant afford a qualifying car is scary as hell. i dont know Lyfts specific car requirements but i know Uber its dead simple, 10 years old or newer. Am i just being a judgemental ass or what? The whole reason people stopped taking cabs is to get away from these kinds of people that over ran the cab industry and now they are trying to get them to drive for lyft???

Honestly though I know a guy that drives for uber in a base model versa, manual transmission even and he gets no complaints.

The $0.20 per mile is not applied if you do at least 40 rides per week, you are just liable for the $99.00 at that point (from my understanding). Also this pricing is higher then a lease, but I guess it makes sense if you just want to jump in and try it out. I do wonder if this will bring quality of drivers down though.

Interesting. I could see this being great during busy times. Rent the SUV for a week or two around holidays and vacation times, hit the 65 rides easily and the fees are waived entirely, for someone like a college student on break, that would be awesome.

Interesting. I could see this being great during busy times. Rent the SUV for a week or two around holidays and vacation times, hit the 65 rides easily and the fees are waived entirely, for someone like a college student on break, that would be awesome.

65 rides easily? Sure if you're in NYC and don't mind an 80 hour work week.

so if I have an extra 99 bucks laying around and I offer day trips to the beach... I can offer rides to nineteen year women in bikini's and have some one else pay for the car's depreciation I just need to give sixty five rides a week so that eleven cars full of women right? ...

so if I have an extra 99 bucks laying around and I offer day trips to the beach... I can offer rides to nineteen year women in bikini's and have some one else pay for the car's depreciation I just need to give sixty five rides a week so that eleven cars full of women right? ...
No, that's 65 separate and completed trips.

Back