GM Sued by Motorcyclist Injured in Crash Involving Self-Driving Car

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
General Motors is getting sued by a motorcyclist in San Francisco who claims that a self-driving Chevrolet Bolt tricked him into thinking it was changing lanes. When he tried to pass the car, it came back into his lane and knocked him off his bike, causing injuries to his neck and shoulder.

General Motors has a different version of events leading up to the crash. The company says in a statement to ABC News that the motorcyclist merged prematurely into the Bolt's lane. The San Francisco Police Department crash report did not assign blame for the collision, and no citations were issued at the crash scene.

and the bolt will have recordings of the crash from multiple angles. The motorcyclist was probably impatient and driving recklessly. The motorcyclist should probably get a self driving vehicle so his whims don't get him in any more accidents

and the bolt will have recordings of the crash from multiple angles. The motorcyclist was probably impatient and driving recklessly. The motorcyclist should probably get a self driving vehicle so his whims don't get him in any more accidents

If it DID happen as he said it did, then he has a cause for grievance potentially... the likelihood though is, as you say, he was probably being impatient and jumping the gun.

The company says in a statement to ABC News that the motorcyclist merged prematurely into the Bolt's lane.
Living in this city and in fact seeing it... yeah I think I'll go with this. All too often I see motorcycles pass cars before they leave lane, while they're still in lanes, and sometimes they'll even go into the bike lane (although mopeds are most guilty of this).

Would like to see the video my self. I would imagine the bike did jump the gun.

from the article.
"The San Francisco Police Department crash report did not assign blame for the collision, and no citations were issued at the crash scene."

Would like to see the video my self. I would imagine the bike did jump the gun.

from the article.
"The San Francisco Police Department crash report did not assign blame for the collision, and no citations were issued at the crash scene."
Also from the article
"In this matter, the SFPD collision report stated that the motorcyclist merged into our lane before it was safe to do so,"

Granted, this is GM's statement not an official statement. But seems totally legit on one side you have a report stating there was an "unsafe merge" yet another does not assign blame for the collision.

But then again insurance companies going to insurance.

Something something something lane splitting.

well like it or don't lane splitting is legal in CA.... so drivers and / or self driving cars need to be aware / able to deal with it..

not sure what happened in this case certainly ..but the majority of the time cars are the cause of motorcycle accidents..

well like it or don't lane splitting is legal in CA.... so drivers and / or self driving cars need to be aware / able to deal with it..

not sure what happened in this case certainly ..but the majority of the time cars are the cause of motorcycle accidents..
just because its legal doesn't mean motorcycles get to act stupidly. i see them pull stupid shit all the damn time.

i watched a motorcycle try to continue lane splitting around a vehicle as it was changing lanes... they saw the car moving into the other lane from about 5-6 cars back, and instead of slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the lane change, they continued forward and then tried to pass the car on the same side it was moving into.

two lane metered on-ramp with a disabled car on the left shoulder partially blocking the left lane. cars in the left lane have to push right on the green light to go around. motorcycle decides to split the two lanes and not stop at the light. cars on the let try to push left to find a motorcycle where there wasn't one when they were stopped at the metering light.

Here's the thing, in California it's not that lane splitting is legal as there are no laws that say it is but there also are no laws that state that it is illegal. While there are a set of rules set in place that lean more towards the legal status, mostly things about auto-drivers trying to prohibit lane splitting with their cars, there are no defined laws about it, as well as allowing the CHP to post guidelines on it So as it stands motorcycles need to be the ones aware, and willing to take risks, as auto-drivers are no the ones held accountable for accidents with lane splitters as long as it isn't intentional, and this fits that bill perfectly, as going to merge into another lane then changing your mind before you leave the lane isn't exactly rare.

But depending where you are, lane splitting is not illegal. So who's to blame in this case if it was lane splitting? :)

Lane splitting might be legal, but first and foremost in traffic law is safe driving has to be practiced. For example, on a foggy day you can get ticketed for driving too fast even if you are under the speed limit simply because your speed is unsafe for the conditions. If safe driving wasn't being practiced while lane splitting here, it's still on the motorcyclist for unsafe driving.

But depending where you are, lane splitting is not illegal. So who's to blame in this case if it was lane splitting? :)
The motorcycle. Just because it is legal doesn't make it not stupid. A motorcycle against a car..... Guess who the winner will be in a crash? My money is on the car.

Regardless of it being legal self preservation should be people’s top priority, not lane splitting because it’s faster for them.

While Cali says it’s legal I think they cannot lane split over 50 or 15 faster than the current traffic pacing. Both parties are just as responsible for creating a safe driving environment, not just the cager.

As an ex motorcycle rider I know that we normally create those unsafe environments then like to blame others when shit goes wrong.

While Cali says it’s legal I think they cannot lane split over 50 or 15 faster than the current traffic pacing. Both parties are just as responsible for creating a safe driving environment, not just the cager.
That's the thing it isn't legal, but it's not illegal either it's in some murky grey area, the only thing in the law books on it is that the CHP can publish recommendations on lane splitting, which they did and then took down for some odd ball reasoning (seriously google it). So lane splitting over 50 (it was actually 30 IIRC) or 15 faster than current traffic (I think 10), were just that, recommendations.

Regardless of it being legal self preservation should be people’s top priority, not lane splitting because it’s faster for them.

As an ex motorcycle rider I know that we normally create those unsafe environments then like to blame others when shit goes wrong.

I may not have worded my original response as well as I would generally prefer.. and granting the "grey" legal status argument ..

yes motorcycle riders should be careful and responsible... but pretty much all human drivers in CA know that motorcycles split lanes, and as such try (or should try) to keep and eye out for them, when I'm in my truck and want to change lanes and see a lane splitting motorbike coming up 5~ car lengths back.. I'll wait a few seconds to let them get clear and then try the lane change again... if I can I'll move over a bit to let bikes by..

if self driving cars are going to share the road in California then these cars need to be aware of all road users (bicycles, motorbikes, in some places horses ..whatever.. ) it isn't acceptable for these machines to be turned loose on the public road if they are not able to manage actual real world conditions... and I don't want them hurting / killing people beta testing these stupid things on the public roadways.

Even though lane splitting is legal, it has to be done in a safe manor.

Pulling into a lane before the car has completely left the lane puts the motorcyclist at fault.

I may not have worded my original response as well as I would generally prefer.. and granting the "grey" legal status argument ..

yes motorcycle riders should be careful and responsible... but pretty much all human drivers in CA know that motorcycles split lanes, and as such try (or should try) to keep and eye out for them, when I'm in my truck and want to change lanes and see a lane splitting motorbike coming up 5~ car lengths back.. I'll wait a few seconds to let them get clear and then try the lane change again... if I can I'll move over a bit to let bikes by..

if self driving cars are going to share the road in California then these cars need to be aware of all road users (bicycles, motorbikes, in some places horses ..whatever.. ) it isn't acceptable for these machines to be turned loose on the public road if they are not able to manage actual real world conditions... and I don't want them hurting / killing people beta testing these stupid things on the public roadways.

A motorcyclist shouldn't be attempting to lane split in traffic above 40 mph, that really is just irresponsible driving. I see motorcyclists splitting lanes at 20+ mph faster than the traffic, and traffic is moving at 65 mph with little gap room. I reject the notion that cars should be watching out for high speed lane splitters, especially at speeds above 45. Less than 15 mph lane splitting at 5-15 above the traffic is okay, as that generally gives everyone enough reaction time.

Safe motorcyclists don't lane split at unsafe speeds, and I see plenty of them around. They usually are following behind another car at a safe distance, and generally drive like they are in a car when at highway speeds. Unsafe motorcyclists act like you have to yield right of way to them under any and all conditions, and those are the ones generally getting into accidents. I have no sympathy for the latter group, and will not yield to them.

A motorcyclist shouldn't be attempting to lane split in traffic above 40 mph, that really is just irresponsible driving. I see motorcyclists splitting lanes at 20+ mph faster than the traffic, and traffic is moving at 65 mph with little gap room. I reject the notion that cars should be watching out for high speed lane splitters, especially at speeds above 45. Less than 15 mph lane splitting at 5-15 above the traffic is okay, as that generally gives everyone enough reaction time.

Safe motorcyclists don't lane split at unsafe speeds, and I see plenty of them around. They usually are following behind another car at a safe distance, and generally drive like they are in a car when at highway speeds. Unsafe motorcyclists act like you have to yield right of way to them under any and all conditions, and those are the ones generally getting into accidents. I have no sympathy for the latter group, and will not yield to them.

I agree reckless riders are a problem.. I don't want to do anyone in personally... so even them I'll do what I can to keep my truck and them safe as much as possible... many of them are just young dumb guys..hopefully eventually they will learn better (without being badly injured..)

as a driver we deal with dangerous bone heads all the time on the road 2 wheels, 4wheelers ...18 wheelers.. pretty much driving in socal is nearly entirely an exercise on protecting yourself from dangerous morons... if self driving cars want to be on the road here they need to be able to deal...

because it is how it is.

I agree reckless riders are a problem.. I don't want to do anyone in personally... so even them I'll do what I can to keep my truck and them safe as much as possible... many of them are just young dumb guys..hopefully eventually they will learn better (without being badly injured..)

as a driver we deal with dangerous bone heads all the time on the road 2 wheels, 4wheelers ...18 wheelers.. pretty much driving in socal is nearly entirely an exercise on protecting yourself from dangerous morons... if self driving cars want to be on the road here they need to be able to deal...

because it is how it is.

Yep, and unfortunately that is spreading to the SF Bay Area as well.

Even though lane splitting is legal, it has to be done in a safe manor.

Pulling into a lane before the car has completely left the lane puts the motorcyclist at fault.
Im leaning this way, though it's hhard to say without seeing what happened, if he proceeded before the other vehicle was out of the lane completely, then he's at fault (although the other vehicle could be guilty of reckless driving as well)

I know, no true scottsman, but I've been riding motorcycles for decades and you are never not aware of the car beside you; it's your life. Either they were leapfrogging recklessly or looking for a payout.

from the article "Oscar Nilsson claims in his lawsuit that he was driving behind a Bolt in San Francisco in December when the car began to change lanes. As Nilsson attempted to pass the Bolt, the self-driving vehicle "suddenly veered back into Mr. Nilsson's lane," knocking him to the ground, the lawsuit alleges."

He tried to pass while the Bolt was changing lanes? and he's surprised it acted squirrely? He's lucky it wasn't a little old lady that couldn't even see him.

That's the thing it isn't legal, but it's not illegal either it's in some murky grey area, the only thing in the law books on it is that the CHP can publish recommendations on lane splitting, which they did and then took down for some odd ball reasoning (seriously google it). So lane splitting over 50 (it was actually 30 IIRC) or 15 faster than current traffic (I think 10), were just that, recommendations.

Lane splitting has been officially in the books since 2016. I was a rider (before marriage and family) and the bill was something that California riders kept an eye on while it went through the state house and governor's office.

I know, no true scottsman, but I've been riding motorcycles for decades and you are never not aware of the car beside you; it's your life. Either they were leapfrogging recklessly or looking for a payout.

Car drivers really aren't very aware of motorcycles. I realized how much drivers don't pay attention until I became a rider myself. Now that I don't ride anymore I'm very careful to always be on the lookout for them when driving. Doesn't mean riders aren't at fault tho. Most riders think that having a crotch rocket is a license to be a jackass.

Lane splitting has been officially in the books since 2016. I was a rider (before marriage and family) and the bill was something that California riders kept an eye on while it went through the state house and governor's office.

Car drivers really aren't very aware of motorcycles. I realized how much drivers don't pay attention until I became a rider myself. Now that I don't ride anymore I'm very careful to always be on the lookout for them when driving. Doesn't mean riders aren't at fault tho. Most riders think that having a crotch rocket is a license to be a jackass.

I really question the benefit of socialized medicine when I see squids riding around wearing shorts and sandals (and a helmet, since that's all the law requires.) Skin grafts must be cheap!

The motorcycle. Just because it is legal doesn't make it not stupid. A motorcycle against a car..... Guess who the winner will be in a crash? My money is on the car.

I have a motorcycle license and lane splitting is legal where I am. Would I ever do it though, fuck no. Only stupid, impatient riders do crap like that.

Well now we know that the autonomous car will in fact run you over. Nice job GM.

and that, to me, is the real issue here. the car with all its sensor data should have known the bike was there, and yet it still moved into contact with it.

Translation: self-driving cars are inadequate with regards to anticipating human behavior. If a person could have anticipated and avoided the accident with the motorcyclist that the self-driving car is not ready for prime time. Forced prematurely upon the public will only generate massive social resistance to self-driving cars. Technology that benefits the few at the expense of the majority will end badly for the few.

Back