GM Plans 20 All-Electric Models by 2023

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
General Motors has joined a growing group of automakers promising an emissions-free future for cars by pledging to sell 20 all-electric vehicles by 2023: the largest US automaker, which generates most of its profit with large sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks, plans to have a lineup of both battery-powered cars and hydrogen fuel-cell autos, which also run on electricity. Two new EVs will debut in the next 18 months to follow the Chevrolet Bolt that’s been on sale for less than a year.

“GM believes the future is all electric, a world free of automotive emissions,” Mark Reuss, executive vice president of global product development, told reporters Monday at the company’s technical center north of Detroit. “It’s real.” The planned lineup demonstrates GM is doubling down on electrification despite the Bolt’s slow start in US showrooms and companies’ inability thus far to profitably sell EVs. The automaker has delivered fewer than 12,000 units of the battery-powered Bolt, which goes about 238 miles between charges. Deliveries have primarily been concentrated thus far in California, which mandates sales of emissions-less vehicles.

So glad this is finally happening. ICE vehicles need to exist only in history books.

Most Americans are NOT going to want an all-electric vehicle. I love my Chevy Volt but I would not buy a Chevy Bolt. A plug-in hybrid is the perfect compromise since they still allow for unlimited distance due to a gasoline engine but give the user an all-electric experience on shorter trips. I probably wouldn't even want a Volt if I lived in a northern state with very cold winters where a battery would not function as well.

But didn't I hear, that due to sales, that Chevy was going to cut the Volt and possibly Bolt?

Am I the only one who thinks its strange that almost everyone calling for eco-green whatever drives a gas guzzling large SUV? The way the climate change folks talk, you'd think they are the vast majority, but I see very few eco-friendly cars, and I know for sure they aren't walking/biking to work. Maybe they car pool? But haven't seen that either.

I heard the GM put the Volt/Bolt on the bubble because USA drivers are not purchasing them. In fact many of the big auto makers expect Tesla to collapse. Not sure how true any of that will be... except for my observation that nobody (apart from me) drives eco-friendly vehicles.

I know I was quite upset when Honda dropped the Civic Hybrid. And hydrogen? Only in a couple of place in the whole USA... so that's not going to work. Leaves Honda with the expensive (more than a Tesla) Clarity line. Sigh... was looking at a Volt, but not if GM is going to drop it.

Hybrid power is coming to the 'Vette in the next generation C8.

Doubtful. It's a mid engine layout. That would be two radical departures that would send the price through the roof.

I don't know if an electric Corvette will fly.

No it wouldn't...not even close.

Even in a high end sports cars, the only reason for a hybrid setup is electric assist for low end torque. This isn't something the vette really ever had a problem with. You're hitting over 500+ ft-lbs about 3K RPM IRC on the Z06. Only those small displacement high rev'ing Euro/Japanese cars had this issue.

The cost/weight/complexity benefit doesn't work out IMHO.

So, they lose money on every electric car they sell, but they will make up for it by selling even more?

Guess they will just have to double the price of their SUV's to make up the difference.

Most Americans are NOT going to want an all-electric vehicle. I love my Chevy Volt but I would not buy a Chevy Bolt. A plug-in hybrid is the perfect compromise since they still allow for unlimited distance due to a gasoline engine but give the user an all-electric experience on shorter trips. I probably wouldn't even want a Volt if I lived in a northern state with very cold winters where a battery would not function as well.

2017 Volt owner as well, and even with steep discounts I wouldn't buy a Bolt either due to the simple fact it's ugly as hell. Love or hate elon he's right about one thing: sexy sells.

There's some great tech in both the Volt and the Bolt, too bad it's attached to a slow moving dinosaur of a company. I mostly bought my volt as a hold me over till the Model 3 is out and there's no back log of orders. I'm mostly satisfied with the Volt, but it's not all unicorns and rainbows.

@ 4000 miles high voltage fuse blew, spent almost a month in the shop waiting on parts
@ 8000 miles 12V system failed leaving me stranded on the side of the road.
Nothing like spending a stack of cash on a new car and being given a gas sucking loaner for 6+ weeks while they figure it out, they didn't even offer to pay for the gas I shouldn't have had to use in the first place (I drive a lot for work)

Due to inept customer service reps I lost the use of a valid $1000 private offer code, their solution? sent me a Volt hat and some pens... wtf really?

GM doesn't advertise the Volt or the Bolt, and the way they support it is even worse, they can toot the green horn all they want but at the end of the day they are a dinosaur of a company who would much rather push a big truck or SUV on you. I can't wait till 2019 or so to ditch GM for good.

2017 Volt owner as well, and even with steep discounts I wouldn't buy a Bolt either due to the simple fact it's ugly as hell. Love or hate elon he's right about one thing: sexy sells.

There's some great tech in both the Volt and the Bolt, too bad it's attached to a slow moving dinosaur of a company. I mostly bought my volt as a hold me over till the Model 3 is out and there's no back log of orders. I'm mostly satisfied with the Volt, but it's not all unicorns and rainbows.

@ 4000 miles high voltage fuse blew, spent almost a month in the shop waiting on parts
@ 8000 miles 12V system failed leaving me stranded on the side of the road.
Nothing like spending a stack of cash on a new car and being given a gas sucking loaner for 6+ weeks while they figure it out, they didn't even offer to pay for the gas I shouldn't have had to use in the first place (I drive a lot for work)

Due to inept customer service reps I lost the use of a valid $1000 private offer code, their solution? sent me a Volt hat and some pens... wtf really?

GM doesn't advertise the Volt or the Bolt, and the way they support it is even worse, they can toot the green horn all they want but at the end of the day they are a dinosaur of a company who would much rather push a big truck or SUV on you. I can't wait till 2019 or so to ditch GM for good.

sounds like you could possibly qualify for lemon law return.

918 Spyder comes to mind

Wouldn't doubt it, huge following for the Tesla because of its instant torque and is a 1/4 mile beast, but it falls very short in the long distance. Hybrid is the perfect combo.

Mid engine alone is expected to make the Corvette in the $125K+ territory. Hybrid (even if just the front wheels) would add substantially to that. The 918 you cite is a cool million. Plus you have to factor the weight to power ratio favors gas only engines. Weight is critical. You have to remember the corvette is the working man's sports car.

Reactions: Durge
like this
Oh that nice if your rich to spend 50/60k, How about a poor man vehicle in 5/6k range + 600mile range LoL

But they have a different sticker on them

And the real people commercial showed me just how fabulous of a car it'll be by showing these real people liking a $24k car with $11k in upgrades and comparing it to their existing $24k car!

Im so excited to hear everyones reaction to the electric Vette. Let the complaining begin!

Im so excited to hear everyones reaction to the electric Vette. Let the complaining begin!

Name a successful all electric track car that didn't use up it's battery in 30 minutes and cost a small fortune. Or in Tesla's case limping home because the motors overheated.

There's only 2 advantages to electric...low end torque and lower center of gravity. And for a similar HP and useable range, electric always weigh more.

Corvette hasn't had a problem with either.

Oh that nice if your rich to spend 50/60k, How about a poor man vehicle in 5/6k range + 600mile range LoL

How many brand new vehicles are $5000-6000? Come on.

That said, yes, they need to come down in price a bit, maybe $5000-7000 cheaper.

Name a successful all electric track car that didn't use up it's battery in 30 minutes and cost a small fortune. Or in Tesla's case limping home because the motors overheated.

There's only 2 advantages to electric...low end torque and lower center of gravity. And for a similar HP and useable range, electric always weigh more.

Corvette hasn't had a problem with either.
Actually the Corvette does the same thing putting itself in limp mode after a runs on the track cause their diff over heats.

No way I'm paying real money for a GM electric micro-speck.

Anyway I'm not touching electric until we hit the $20k mark. I honestly see no reason why they can't take an existing nice small sedan and just put electric motors in it and the battery where the engine would go... and not cost much more than a decent small sedan (nothing smaller than a Corolla / Sentra / Civic please). I don't buy that the batteries are that expensive. All reeks of BS to me.

No way I'm paying real money for a GM electric micro-speck.

Anyway I'm not touching electric until we hit the $20k mark. I honestly see no reason why they can't take an existing nice small sedan and just put electric motors in it and the battery where the engine would go... and not cost much more than a decent small sedan (nothing smaller than a Corolla / Sentra / Civic please). I don't buy that the batteries are that expensive. All reeks of BS to me.
Ic are cheap. Electric has lots more then just a battery and motors.

Ic are cheap. Electric has lots more then just a battery and motors.

Bolt the freaking electric motor into the existing transmission. No wheel motors, no regen brakes, etc. I've read/seen college kids doing this to old cars for projects. How hard could it be?

I know the answer, it's money. Why would GM (or I guess any car company) go out of their way to sell cars that don't make money? Screw the environment, right?

I mean, how much can a 100hp electic motor and 200 miles worth of battery cost to drop into a Honda Civic? $5k? Cut the range down to 100 miles, that's a healthy every day work commute.

Actually the Corvette does the same thing putting itself in limp mode after a runs on the track cause their diff over heats.

The zr-1 does not. The z06 reduces output after about 20 minutes of driving hard before it kicks back to about 500 horses. Now the later is definitely a screw up by gm. There's been plenty of outrage about it. But it certainly isn't limping like a tesla when it goes into safe mode. You can still flog around 500 horses around the track no problem without voiding your warranty.

Bolt the freaking electric motor into the existing transmission. No wheel motors, no regen brakes, etc. I've read/seen college kids doing this to old cars for projects. How hard could it be?

I know the answer, it's money. Why would GM (or I guess any car company) go out of their way to sell cars that don't make money? Screw the environment, right?

I mean, how much can a 100hp electic motor and 200 miles worth of battery cost to drop into a Honda Civic? $5k? Cut the range down to 100 miles, that's a healthy every day work commute.

A lot more than you imagine. There's also the electronics to charge/discharge batteries as well as safety and high power pulse width power delivery and then tying it into safety systems like traction control. And those motors are liquid cooled to keep them from overheating. Plus the transmission have to be beefed up to deal with the extra torque.

However if you want a plug in 3rd gen Prius they sell the lithium ion upgrade kits which fit in the trunk for $10k

It is not emission free unless the energy you use to charge your car comes from solar, wind, or nuclear (is this considered zero emission?). Otherwise this is just transferring emission from your car to the generation of the power plant, like coal or natural gas, which are not zero emission.

It is not emission free unless the energy you use to charge your car comes from solar, wind, or nuclear (is this considered zero emission?). Otherwise this is just transferring emission from your car to the generation of the power plant, like coal or natural gas, which are not zero emission.
Solar and Wind arent 0 emission either. The fires of industry burned hard to create all this technology. Hydro electric is as close as it comes, and even then. Maybe if the dam is made of wood, cut down by beavers.

I first saw this I went BS... then I went wait... GM lies about this all the time. They can just make 4 or 5 cars and rebrand them 5 or 6 ways and beat this goal. They do it all the time. But that doesn't mean that they will sell.

The only comment that excited me was Hydrogen Fuel Cell.

Last edited:
I want a plugin electric hybrid turbo diesel option for my VW GTI!
The 2.0 diesel with a 45kw battery would be the ticket, could daily drive to work and charge over night but if I want to go to Austin for the weekend I do't have to find another vehicle due to lack of charging options.

Are they also planning on funding LOTS of modern fail-safe high capacity nuclear power plants to bolster our energy infrastructure so that people can keep them charged?

I've had two volts now and not a single problem yet. our 2012 has 77,500 miles on it. *knock on wood*. That said, i do think the bolt is very ugly. I am looking forward to more electric options -- the volt is sexy econobox but only seats 4 and its not that exciting to drive either.

The only comment that excited me was Hydrogen Fuel Cell.

Chicken and the egg problem. There's no infrastructure for it. No infrastructure no cars.

At least with electric you can plug into your home outlet.

Most people don't remember but something like a '57 conecpt car at car shows demonstrated the first ever fuel injected sports car. Even if they don't always go into full production, Corvette's often have demonstrated models pushing the envelope!

Yeah, I had to do a few edits on this one but:

http://corvettestory.com/1957-Corve...-Injection-Four-Speed-Manual-Transmission.php

*Sighs*

You know the triangle of project development....

Cheap
Good
Fast

You can pick any two of the three. But not all 3.

The corvette is designed to be a working man's sports car. Corvette pains itself to keep cost and weight as low as possible. If it's a hybrid it won't be a rear engine. And if it is a hybrid it will have an Uber small battery to save both weight and cost.

Hybrids in sports cars are only there to really solve low end torque problems. The Vette has always had plenty of low end torque due to displacement.

Back