GM Autonomous Car Testing In San Francisco

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you live in the Bay Area, be on the look-out for GM's autonomous test cars. I'm not sure why all these companies like Tesla, Google, and now General Motors, have selected San Francisco to test their cars but it's getting a little crowded down there.

Perhaps it's easier for self-driving cars to drive there than an area such as NYC where I'm located or any other area. I know around here, there's jaywalkers and cyclists that dash out in front of vehicles all the time. Unsure if it's the same in San Francisco but don't quote me on that.

If I had to guess why the Bay area... Primarily technical talent from Silicon Valley. Also, very predictable weather conditions compared to other locations. relatively little rain fall. 22" per year. That's about 1/4 of what other high tech areas get and of course, no snow. It's a pretty good testing ground before the tech is ready for more difficult weather conditions.

It mostly has to do with legislation that California passed that allows for autonomous cars to be tested on public roads.

I'd like to see google and gm autonomous cars meet on a narrow street with cars parked on both sides so one has to yield to the other. Without protocols like a friendly wave, i can see both cars stopping. Both creep forward, and both brake to a stop due to detection latency. Creep, stop. Creep, stop. Traffic stalls for hours :D

Perhaps it's easier for self-driving cars to drive there than an area such as NYC where I'm located or any other area. I know around here, there's jaywalkers and cyclists that dash out in front of vehicles all the time. Unsure if it's the same in San Francisco but don't quote me on that.

Definitely have all of that out here, add in all the crazy hoverboard contraptions, skateboarders and crackheads darting out...if it can safely drive here, it should be able to safely drive in any urban area in the US.

Back