glossy ipad: really struck me how superior glossy is!

freestonew

Weaksauce
hi all.

really struck me, today, how superior glossy is, at least for my eyes!

at Panaras this morning, my friend comes in for coffee hour and he brings with him his ipad. he opens it up and turns it on and brings up a photo taken with his sx 100-series canon camera but he took a video with it and then isolated one frame to make this image he shows to me.

He turns his ipad around so i could look at the near-full screen image, with that Retina Display they have. a real real glossy panel, he has, complete with finger print smudges.
so here I am, sitting five feet from the south facing tall window, and the time is about 11:30 in the morning. This is in Tallahassee, florida, and even on the
19th of October you can imagine how bright the Florida sun is! I got the full sun effect, shining indirectly onto this screen, with added glints from the reflections of the 50 cars parked outside!

Again I was struck by how clear and "you are there" that image was. like looking through a window onto some street scenery. reflections?
you bet! But i found it "funny" that these vast reflections did not bother me or cause eyestrain! my only theory as to why not, is that my brain has by now long long ago "compensated" for reflections on glassy surfaces!

I have a NEC ea23wmi ips monitor. I have it hooked up to another computer I sometimes use and its panel is that AG coated matte screen. whenever I tried hooking it up to my main computer, i soon retire it again to my little used other computer and now i can see why. I kept trying and trying and trying to "adjust" this matte lcd. in computer, on the monitor, using internet monitor calibration sites, to little avail. Oh, the images look fair enough, but there was always that "haze" between me and the image.
--reminds me of the guy i saw a month ago, at my senior home lunch table. I sat 90 degrees from him and for a second I looked through his glasses and i wondered just how he could see? his glasses were so so so dirty and greasy-filmy, i wonder if these glasses really did him any good? did he not notice?! If even a smudge is on one of my glasses lens, i notice it immediately! and he is a film buff too!

Yes, this rambling post probably is only preaching to the glossy-choir, but
here i could see this Problem in action and of the great difference.

soon maybe Amazon hopefully will ship that dell S2440l glossy va monitor.

not "retinia display" but then I have not paid $1000+ for it either.

freestone

I guess the higher the resolution of the display is, and the closer you're sitting to it, the more apparrent the advantage of a glossy display becomes. I prefer glossy or mild AG coatings, as I find heavy AG ruins the "looking through a window" effect.

I've had my Apple 27" LED for almost 2 years, never going back to matte finish.

I had a CRT now i have an LCD and this matte makes the colors dull.
How ever invented this and promoted this should hanged. :D

Back