Glossy HP zr2740w How-To (AG Removal)

A monitor is Returned when it:
has a dead pixel
has dust particles
has uneven backlighting
has scratches on the surface

When the AG layer is removed, isn't there residual glue on the surface?
If a glass layer is placed over the polarizer, won't there be dust particles inside?

So if these defects are tolerable, why won't the Samsung S27A850D be tolerated?

If someone can find a way to mount a glass surface without "defects" after removing the AG, I am getting the HP instead.

The problem with applying a new film is that you have to strip off all the old glue first and get the polarizer super clean before applying it. You start scrubbing away, even gently, on the polarizer and you'll end up like all those poor guys in the U2711 thread.

Others have mentioned putting tape over the aggressive AG film helping. I have no clue why that would work but if some other coating over the AG one can do the trick without risking the panel then do it that way.

glue left on monitor is very very thin and don't seem to be sticky. But it's sticky ennough to collect dust and give trouble cleaning it. I'd suggest getting coating without it's own glue and put it just after removing AG. It would be the best solution image-quality wise.

or the second thing to do would be to get glossy coating with glue and put it in front of old coating! I saw it working on matte cup ;) I taped it and it stopped being matte in that place :eek: Similarly it could work on monitor. But there should be a lot of glue for it to work properly...

Are there any photos of a super agressive ag coating screen vs a no ag coating screen?

Are there any photos of a super agressive ag coating screen vs a no ag coating screen?

This is a viewsonic vx2025wm, 0.25 dotpitch, with a piece of AG i took off a long time ago (3 or 4 years, i dont remember). Still good.

3OoTu.jpg

which brand was the one to put light AG on their screen? samsung?

i want something similar to the 226V LG or dell 2311H/2312hm

It so happened I won't do this mod anytime soon as I god replacement for my U2410 and it don't have slightest scratch on it's screen :cool:

so I have perfect U2410 for $200 and it even have some warranty left :D
wouldn't want to risk it by doing such dangerous mod and as matte screen was what I want it would be retarded to do it now... :eek:

Hello, smonska.
Thanks for the guide. I'm thinking of doing the same... Have you found the AG replacement? Or is it still uncovered.

for some reason the op didn't mention the most difficult part of the mod - removing the inner basel and uclipping it, is required not just at the bottom which is easier than making coffee and it takes about half a minute, but also unclipping it at the sides and the most difficult part - at the top of the panel, since at the top the besel is also clipped to the metal chassis that covers the electronics.
At the sides the inner besel is held not just by the 3 screws but also by the clips that are covered by the chassis of the panel.
Those are the most difficult parts not covered by this "guide" and you can multiply by x100 the difficulty of this mod when you cosider them.

Last edited:
Hi, would this help the yellow tinting problem for my U2312HM? the left side is much more yellow and the right side is red. unfortunately the dell support in my country do not allow an exchange, claiming that there is no issue. is the tint caused by the AG coating? if it is I might wanna remove it, else I would sell it.

Thanks.

¿¿¿I didn't have to do any unclipping on the sides of my inner bezel???? Just a few screws and off it came.

Just an update, I still have my screen "unprotected" as it is, and being that I don't have kids or pets poking at it, it has been fine. I have been thinking of getting a piece of glass made however, if I got a thin enough sheet to fit behind the bezel, it would be very nice.

With the glossy screen, I have received several "wows" from folks who have seen pictures I have taken on this screen. Short of a several thousand dollar pro monitor, this panel, along with the "direct drive" electronics not messing with the image, really is tops!

I guess I have a different model then -)
Anyway, just completed the mod - removed the stock ag and istalled the photodon protective film.
I now assembled back the monitor and sitting in front of it looking in the 27" slightly tinted mirror, being afraid to trun it on, as I think that I damaded it somehow.... I think I should give it some time to dry up after the water application... Anyway Im sure I will see colorful lines all over the screen or on some part of it as soon as I turn it on.

Nope, no lines-)
There is quite a bit of dust under the new coating and on solid white backround it shines like a bunch of dead pixels. But can only see it up close and in games/windows use it's not possible to see them. Also I got 3 small bubles. But that's because the AG arrived in damaged condition. (Waiting for another one wasn't an option and I just used what I got. Will probably replace it another time.)
Wow, what a mod. To say that it was difficult is to say nothing...
(pics will follow later)

You think this was hard to take apart, try one of those Dell All-In-One touchscreen PCs with a dead touchscreen. Good grief are those things a terrible design! :)

Nope, no lines-)
There is quite a bit of dust under the new coating and on solid white backround it shines like a bunch of dead pixels. But can only see it up close and in games/windows use it's not possible to see them. Also I got 3 small bubles. But that's because the AG arrived in damaged condition. (Waiting for another one wasn't an option and I just used what I got. Will probably replace it another time.)
Wow, what a mod. To say that it was difficult is to say nothing...
(pics will follow later)

Where did you order the new Clear AG?
Was it www.photodon.com/?

Yes, that's right. The MXA film. There is very little reflections on it btw...

And was the protector it's self adhesive or did you need to apply some sort of bonding agent?

I walked through a practice last night of removing the AG screen from an old dead 19". It was "fairly" easy after letting it soak for about 4 hours. Unfortunately due to the monitor being dead to start with i have no way to test it, but it looked good with no glue or scratches. So i'm fairly confident it can be done. Just don't want to start until I have all the info and i'm truly ready.

Back