Glossy 30" monitor

Any such thing?

Wait for the u3014. It isn't glossy, but the AG is a thin anti reflective coating - it will be much, much, muchmuch better than the thick matte on the u3011.

The u2713HM and H use it, and it isn't even noticeable. Its great.

Wait for the u3014. It isn't glossy, but the AG is a thin anti reflective coating - it will be much, much, muchmuch better than the thick matte on the u3011.

The u2713HM and H use it, and it isn't even noticeable. Its great.

Yea, I will wait to see what the reviews say.

Nobody has had the balls to remove the AG on a 30"?

Pretty sure it was on OCN or another forum, but yes, I've seen this. I think it was a 30" Dell but it's been a while.

If you're asking about manufacturers doing it for you, though, I have never seen this. I suspect that if there actually is some magical 30" glossy out there, it's some obscure and old panel that isn't 2560x1600...

Why would anyone want a glossy screen?

The only thing it has is glare..

Because thick matte coatings can be annoying in dimly lit environments, to the point that it causes black text on white backgrounds to be less sharp.

This shouldn't be an issue with the upcoming u3014 as mentioned - it will be using the same excellent light anti reflective coating as the 2713H/HM. Trust me, you won't even notice that coating, it is quite good.

Why would anyone want a glossy screen?

The only thing it has is glare..

Image clarity and color vibrancy. Glare is easy to control if you plan your room accordingly.

I'll take a few reflections on dark backgrounds over dirty, grainy antiglare on light colored backgrounds.

Because thick matte coatings can be annoying in dimly lit environments, to the point that it causes black text on white backgrounds to be less sharp.

This shouldn't be an issue with the upcoming u3014 as mentioned - it will be using the same excellent light anti reflective coating as the 2713H/HM. Trust me, you won't even notice that coating, it is quite good.

Image clarity and color vibrancy. Glare is easy to control if you plan your room accordingly.

I'll take a few reflections on dark backgrounds over dirty, grainy antiglare on light colored backgrounds.

Ahh, so you're saying that you don't like glare, you just like the monitor more when there's NO glare..

Well, that's fine, but on my 3007WFP-HC, I never notice that it is unclear, or not vibrant enough.. or anything like that.

Same goes for my 2407WFP-HC, 2007FP's, etc.

Well, that's fine, but on my 3007WFP-HC, I never notice that it is unclear, or not vibrant enough.. or anything like that.

K.

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2012/12/11/1/39_kristaleffect_big.jpg

Both of your displays use the same coating as the U2711/HPZR2740W, as do most of the other IPS in these images which shows the effect of different coatings on pixels. Only the S234/S2440L and 27Q LED-P are glossy, the rest are matte, notice how much clearer many of the other panels look.

K.

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2012/12/11/1/39_kristaleffect_big.jpg

Both of your displays use the same coating as the U2711/HPZR2740W, as do most of the other IPS in these images which shows the effect of different coatings on pixels. Only the S234/S2440L and 27Q LED-P are glossy, the rest are matte, notice how much clearer many of the other panels look.

I guess it's something that one has to experience for themselves.

Before I had a TN panel, I thought CRT looked awesome.
Before I had an S-PVA/S-IPS panel, I thought TN looked awesome.

I suppose, before I had a glossy screen, I thought the matte coating looked great.

Maybe I should sell my 3007 for a 3014?

Maybe I should sell my 3007 for a 3014?

Glossy monitors are reflective, as mentioned, and that's their biggest issue. For me, dealing with reflections was better than dealing with grainy AG coating that made my whites and light colors look dirty and i'm able to control the amount of reflections visible on my monitor due to the way my room is positioned.

However, that's me. Some people may find dealing with a grainy AG coating to be more bearable than dealing with reflections, others opt for monitors with a semi-gloss coating like certain Samsung displays, but those monitors didn't meet my needs so they wern't an option, and others go on just fine without ever noticing the coating. (Although it's worse on certain monitors than others, namely all of the 1920x1200 24" IPS displays)

YES! Have 2707wfp dell just sitting here not being used soooo thought I would give it a try. Didn't even have a clue if it had AG just some kind of AG. Put 2 layers of paper towels wet left for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. And it came off perfect! Made sure was all dry. I didn't take it all a part like he did in that link posted.

MAN AWESOME. Love gloss. BRIGHT now and clear. THANKS guys..

YES! Have 2707wfp dell just sitting here not being used soooo thought I would give it a try. Didn't even have a clue if it had AG just some kind of AG. Put 2 layers of paper towels wet left for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. And it came off perfect! Made sure was all dry. I didn't take it all a part like he did in that link posted.

Just take care when cleaning it. The polarizer layer is easily scratched.

How's the glare?

I'm worried about doing this myself..

You're a brave man. The risks outweigh the benefits for most users - because it is very easy to screw your panel up doing this, but glad things went well for you.

Personally i'll wait for the u3014 ;)

I have removed the ag coating from the older model (new at that time) HP monitor ZR2740w. I don't know how I managed to not screw it up. Removing AG is very risky.

Back