Glossy 27" Monitor recommendations?

onebigrig

n00b
In the market for a glossy 27" IPS monitor for PC. Not many new options available currently, except the LG 5k, which is expensive and not plug and play.

Requirements
27" IPS
1440+ resolution
Glossy (not semi glossy)

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
In the market for a glossy 27" IPS monitor for PC. Not many new options available currently, except the LG 5k which is expensive and not plug and play for PC.

Requirements
27" IPS
1440+ resolution
Glossy (not semi glossy)

Any help appreciated.

Amen brother. It appears monitor manufacturers have all but abandoned glossy screens. Been waiting for a 43" 4k glossy monitor (not tv).

Found a couple on the used market. The Dell S2718D and the Apple Thunderbolt. Are there any that I may be missing?

My old Korean 27" IPS Achieva Shimian monitor was glossy - maybe take a look at some Korean monitors? You can probably get them for cheap used too.

Listen man, I was die hard on glossy displays and used a Dell S-series monitor for years because it had a glass panel, and when I switched to a modern matte display I never looked back. Even in a light controlled room there are reflections, and I didn't realize how much it was compromising the image until I actually switched. Modern AG coating is nothing like it was back in the day, I am very sensitive to it and started using glossy monitors because I could see the "crystals" sparkling on light backgrounds, but even I don't notice it all on new monitors. You'll be a lot happier if you just drop that requirement.

Listen man, I was die hard on glossy displays and used a Dell S-series monitor for years because it had a glass panel, and when I switched to a modern matte display I never looked back. Even in a light controlled room there are reflections, and I didn't realize how much it was compromising the image until I actually switched. Modern AG coating is nothing like it was back in the day, I am very sensitive to it and started using glossy monitors because I could see the "crystals" sparkling on light backgrounds, but even I don't notice it all on new monitors. You'll be a lot happier if you just drop that requirement.
I disagree. My old Korean glossy monitor looks better than any current monitor in it's size. And I've personally tinkered with at least a dozen of them. Nothing makes an image crystal clear like a glossy glass monitor.

Strongly disagree. My 16 year old glossy NEC LCD display has subjectively better IQ than my "modern" AG coated display. Indeed, the AG coating does not block all reflections, but it also makes the colors somewhat dull and overall image does not "pop" as much. If anything, the overall image looks a bit fuzzy. Even my glossy 27" Korean-based display IQ subjectively looks better. It's even more of a joke at night, where there are zero reflections to battle with.

Sound like you got a bad glossy sample or experience with a bad apple. *shrugg*

If you had picked any other modern feature other than the AG coating (i.e. G-Sync/Freesync, overdrive, better response times, higher refresh, improved sRGB reproduction, etc.) , then I would agree with you. But you are practically defending the least favorable feature of a modern display, imho.

Strongly disagree. My 16 year old glossy NEC LCD display has subjectively better IQ than my "modern" AG coated display. Indeed, the AG coating does not block all reflections, but it also makes the colors somewhat dull and overall image does not "pop" as much. If anything, the overall image looks a bit fuzzy. Even my glossy 27" Korean-based display IQ subjectively looks better. It's even more of a joke at night, where there are zero reflections to battle with.

Sound like you got a bad glossy sample or experience with a bad apple. *shrugg*

If you had picked any other modern feature other than the AG coating (i.e. G-Sync/Freesync, overdrive, better response times, higher refresh, improved sRGB reproduction, etc.) , then I would agree with you. But you are practically defending the least favorable feature of a modern display, imho.

There's nothing favorable about reflections, and you will still see them at night if you have any light in the room, which you should if you care about your eyes. I'm not sure where you got the idea I had a bad monitor, the Dell I had looked great aside from the reflections, which I got used to until I switched and realized how glad I was that they were gone. Technology has moved on.

There's nothing favorable about reflections, and you will still see them at night if you have any light in the room, which you should if you care about your eyes. I'm not sure where you got the idea I had a bad monitor, the Dell I had looked great aside from the reflections, which I got used to until I switched and realized how glad I was that they were gone. Technology has moved on.
I do have light in the room. It was simple for me to control ALL reflections at night. All light sources are either directly above or behind the displays. What little remains is just what light bounces off (white t-shirt, etc.).

The point is, I am able to control my environment. And it is not the deal breaker you are making it out to be.

I've been doing this for 16 years. Clearly I've not been in a hurry to ditch my old panels for that reason alone. I'd be sporting a glossy modern if it was actually a choice.

When glossy OLED desktop displays become a thing, will you be just as dismissive?

Last edited:
Well, people can decide that for themselves I guess. That was my experience with it as the owner of one for over six years.
I may have exaggerated when I said there are "zero" reflections at night. But obviously, I'm not bothered by what little I have to deal with. YMMV applies.

Back