GLOBALFOUNDRIES to Deliver Industry’s Leading-Performance Offering of 7nm FinFET Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
GLOBALFOUNDRIES today announced plans to deliver a new leading-edge 7nm FinFET semiconductor technology that will offer the ultimate in performance for the next era of computing applications. This technology provides more processing power for data centers, networking, premium mobile processors, and deep learning applications. GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ new 7nm FinFET technology is expected to deliver more than twice the logic density and a 30 percent performance boost compared to today’s 16/14nm foundry FinFET offerings. The platform is based on an industry-standard FinFET transistor architecture and optical lithography, with EUV compatibility at key levels. This approach will accelerate the production ramp through significant re-use of tools and processes from the company’s 14nm FinFET technology, which is currently in volume production at its Fab 8 campus in Saratoga County, N.Y. GLOBALFOUNDRIES plans to make an additional mutli-billion dollar investment in Fab 8 to enable development and production for 7nm FinFET.

Color me skeptical. GLOBALFOUNDRIES yield must really be in the shitter still if they are pushing it out. I've heard rumor that intel is having difficulty with the latest nm steppings.

I always thought we were going to hit some sort of ceiling at 10 nm. I guess not

Oh look, a fab mouthing off about the new process they are going to have Real Soon Now(tm) that'll totally beat everyone else and be so much more amazing and sooner to market. Ya, never heard THAT one before :p

With fab announcements I am always in a "I'll believe it when I see it," mindset. They love to talk a big game, but often delivering on new nodes is much harder than they pretend and even when they do, sometimes they are fudging the amount of jump they actually made. With 7nm it is likely to be particularly rough since, among all the other problems, it looks like silicon probably won't work it is going to have to be some other material technology. So I'm staying skeptical until they deliver something. Particularly coming from Global Foundries. They do not have a reputation for being able to get new technologies first to market.

I always thought we were going to hit some sort of ceiling at 10 nm. I guess not

Right now the economic barrier seems to be around 5nm. But with all the renaming that TSMC, Samsung and Glofo does, it may be 1nm in their eyes ;)

Back