GLOBALFOUNDRIES Fab 8 Construction Tour @ [H]

Damn nice.

That guy showing you around reminded me of Joe Pantoliano. And he was SO nice.

I just got to point out one thing - it says that it will create 1,400 jobs.

Is that considered to be a lot? $6,000,000,000 and only 1,400 jobs?

It'd be fine if jobs weren't what they were going for - but then.. why mention it?

You should take a look at the slides that Kyle has provided for your edification. The Fab expects an annual payroll of 288,000,000 dollars once the Fab is up and running.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?i...1VGxOaGF6VlhWVzEwVms1V1ZrZFNWR3hSVlZRd09RPT0=

Ain't nevada desert a better place to build such a place. Where are they going to dig up all the sand for the silicone?

A bigger concern would be power and water. Both of which are in ample supply with the great lakes and all that generation capacity nearby.

Serious question for anyone that knows: What would it take to get a job there once complete?

Microelectronic engineering, or EE with micro option.

Unless you are going for the floor manager (hygiene) position which probably doesn't needed anything besides the usual background checks.

New York?? I figured for sure this would be somewhere on the other side of the world. That makes this all that much cooler.

I really hate construction sites this big as it's hard to contorl what is going on and the deadlines are unreal to meet as you always have someone that tells you how long it should take to do something but they have never did any hands on work before lol.... also most of the parts used in the buildings now of days is not even made in the U.S.A anymore as we import cheap crap from China ..

I've been a plumber/med gas tech for 16 years and i am ready to give up construction because of all the safety bs /deadlines.. but i really feel for everyone that is building the thing as i have own deadlines to meet with 2 diffrent buildings at the same time at a place called TYCO better known as AMP..

Last edited:
Damn that was a cool video - and it was such a good feeling to see this go up in america. Hope all goes well for it.

So what chips will be made here? someone mentioned GPU will not be made here so what will specifically?

Damn that was a cool video - and it was such a good feeling to see this go up in america. Hope all goes well for it.

So what chips will be made here? someone mentioned GPU will not be made here so what will specifically?

If it's not GPU then I would think APU/CPU for AMD. Who knows though. Could be some ARM based CPUs to get it up to capacity. It's good to see that AMD will at least have more production capability if needed. It really sucked for them during the Athlon x64/ x2 days when they were selling every chip they made and could have sold many more.

Back