GLOBALFOUNDRIES Fab 8 Construction Tour @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by FrgMstr, Apr 19, 2011.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Fab 8 Construction Tour - GLOBALFOUNDRIES was kind enough to let HardOCP into its new Fab 8 facility in Malta, New York. While far from finished, this 28/20nm plant will be ramping to full production in 2012. Check out the video to understand the sheer scale of the largest construction project currently underway in the United States.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. mmmmmdonuts

mmmmmdonuts Gawd

Going there for the second time tomorrow. (Hopefully will have a job there soon) It looks awesome. The entire project is humongous.

3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

it's open for tours!? :eek:

4. Omegas

Omegas [H]ardForum Junkie

nice to see such large scale manufacturing still being developed in the good ole USofA

5. FrgMstr

No, it is not "open" for tours. :D But we shared!!!!

6. HAF72

HAF72 1337 :)

This! Great video Kyle!

7. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

And before anyone asks, no it won't be making GPUs any time soon if ever.

8. Mr.XL

Mr.XL n00b

Very cool to see this. Thanks for sharing. :cool: Hopefully some really good chips will come out of that fab!

9. RoGuE1230

RoGuE1230 Limp Gawd

That was really cool to see. Thanks.

10. FrgMstr

No, Fab 8 will not for some time (keep in mind the process it is using). All the GPUs will be made in Dresden, Germany.

11. Corvette

Corvette [H]ard|Gawd

I hope this is an overwhelming success.

12. fentzinator

fentzinator Limp Gawd

Wow that is unbelievable! I can not believe it is in NY State! I live south of Buffalo and all NYS has been doing is chasing business out of here because of taxes! Great to see a FAB plant in USA! Thanks for great video!

13. Dosobye

Dosobye Limp Gawd

There are actually a lot of fabs in that area. IBM has its fab in fishkill.

14. [+Duracell-]

[+Duracell-] Limp Gawd

I really wanted to see the clean room, too :(

15. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

Interesting Tour. It really made me want to ask if the 28 nm rolling out in 2012 meant there'd be no chance for the 7k series to be 28nm and if it would just be 'Another' 40nm refresh. Thankfully, it sounds like this fabrication plant won't be responsible for GPUs and the GPUs will be coming from Germany by the sounds of some of the comment/posts made here. So I guess in another way of speaking, there may still be hope yet for 7xxx being 28nm fabrication.

The talk of GF working with Albany something something and IBM on 14nm is quite amazing. I always thought that below 18nm was early impossible due to the individual size of a carbon atom/bond. Nevermind, scratch that thought. I'm not sure where I heard that from but looking into bond lengths via google, it seems that C-C bonds are 0.154 nm with double and triple bonds being slightly smaller so getting past 14nm should be theoretically possible. 14nm would be insane performance.

16. FrgMstr

Honestly, in the form it was in at that time, you really did not miss much. Hopefully we will get to visit again and get a look inside at some point.

17. Spooony

Spooony 2[H]4U

Ain't nevada desert a better place to build such a place. Where are they going to dig up all the sand for the silicone?

18. Shakezilla

Shakezilla [H]ard|Gawd

Awesome, the scale of the place mind blowing.

And great to see a some manufacturing being brought back to the states.

19. amdgamer

amdgamer [H]ardness Supreme

I had no idea fab faciilities were so massive like this. It is so nice to see something like this opening up here in the US. Sure we send the Saudis a lot of our money, but this is nice. I hope that this will really help AMD in their quest to maintain competitiveness in the market once everything is up and running.

Sad to hear that this facility won't be fabbing any ATI GPU's, as it would be awesome to see those being made in America too, even if it is a company owned by the Saudis.

I hope they will offer tours to the public at some point, because I would make the drive from Cincinnati to see this.

20. vhm9ks

vhm9ks n00b

Thanks for the article and the video. My company has been working on the construction site almost from the beginning. I haven't set foot on site, gotta pass a piss test. But we have been using 3d laser scanning for the structural steel as-built information and last week we scanned one of the clean rooms so that they can check how level the ceiling is in there.

21. Spooony

Spooony 2[H]4U

They can open one over here they will have more strikes than anything else. They strike over any crap here lol its a wonder some factories have stayed like Vw they lost millions once due to a couple of days of the workers laying down their tools to toy toy. Shouldve sent in the tanks

22. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, now that was cool. Very cool. Please, more of this when possible. Love to see the reviews but love to see how versatile the reporting is when it comes to tech news. No doubt many of your readers will be using future products from this plant down the road.

23. Trackr

Trackr [H]ard|Gawd

Damn nice.

That guy showing you around reminded me of Joe Pantoliano. And he was SO nice.

I just got to point out one thing - it says that it will create 1,400 jobs.

Is that considered to be a lot? $6,000,000,000 and only 1,400 jobs?

It'd be fine if jobs weren't what they were going for - but then.. why mention it?

24. Simpson5774

Simpson5774 2[H]4U

Its quite amazing to consider that I live 10 miles south of one of the worlds (if not the most) state of the art CPU manufacturing planet in the world. Maybe in a few years ill be able to go there, and get my cpu hot out of the oven :D.

25. niconx

niconx 2[H]4U

They should export the blueprints for this building into a Battlefield 3 map "Fab" :D

26. AMD_Gamer

AMD_Gamer [H]ard as it Gets

They are going to need to for Bulldozer chips.

27. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

Neat, but not the most advanced. ;) The most advanced would be Intel's Fab 14 (14nm) under construction right now. Let me do the math... yes 14nm is more advanced than 28nm (and 20/22nm). ;) It was mentioned in Intel's CC this afternoon.

28. krakerman

krakerman Limp Gawd

I haven't watched the video (yet) and I'm not familiar with this particular case, but I'd bet they got either tax benefits or direct help with funds etc from either the state or perhaps local government in the area. These kinds of statements (will produce xxxx number of jobs) are the kinds of things governmental entities like to see to be able to justify helping companies move into their jurisdiction. It's a hell of a lot easier to pitch budget and related legislation by being able to quote a job creation figure, especially if it's in a rural area or some such.

29. animatedkil

animatedkil n00b

thats what happened here in Oregon with Intel.

30. nobody_here

nobody_here [H]ardForum Junkie

glad to see some industry type articles around, thanks

31. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

The Terminator is going to come in and blow it up while holding off an entire army.

32. Uncle

Uncle 2[H]4U

Your example reminds me of a car, separate the metal from the plastic and you might have what ,few hundreds dollars worth of material. Create something we can use and it will cost, what 20 up to 50 thousand.Your talking close to a billion just for the buildings.
    Kyle, Happy to see the video, didn't realize just how massive this project would be.When we talk of the clean room what can happen that makes the clean room a dirty room and how does it affect chip production. Is it something similar of why the pulp mills have to keep the plastic out of the pulp , because one drop, a dime size, can destroy a roll of paper.

33. Konig-Wolf

Konig-Wolf Limp Gawd

Is it just me, or does the rendering of the building look like a CPU socket with some capacitors on the side?

[​IMG]

Very cool article & video guys. ^_^

34. nakedhand

nakedhand 2[H]4U

Thanks for the tour. Awe inspiring scales at work there. Fascinating! Could make for some interesting level design as well.

I canĀ“t imagine what doing the facility management on a project the size and complexity of this must be like. Mind bending.

PS: Good to see a video on here again Kyle.

35. bloodhawke83

bloodhawke83 I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses

this is more like skynet fab #2

36. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Cool stuff, good video, and +1 to GF for employing Americans.

37. Trackr

Trackr [H]ard|Gawd

Not to agree with Ultima, but..

Man, is it nice to see a major corporation hiring Americans..

Even if it's mostly highly-skilled Americans that can't be found in many parts of the world.

Still, kudos!

38. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

Where are the pics for us non high speed guys?

39. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

Pretty cool shtuff in that vid man. Thanks for putting it up for us!

40. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Really great stuff Kyle. I would love to see more of these kind of things covered here. It's funny how all of us are crazy about our computers, especially graphics and CPU's, and yet there are not very many videos and articles like yours that show us how its all made possible.

Well done, and I hope we get more of this in the future!