Global PC Sales Flat In 2Q

I don't think that the next tipping point will be strictly OS driven, although OS will likely play a factor in it. If you look at the previous tipping points (and this is my own arbitrary classification of them) they line up kind of like this:

- Speed (early generation tipping points in the 386 days and beyond were driven by speed increases of exponential proportions); with lower speeds it was easier to double and triple your speeds from one generation to the next
- GPU (the switch to the added GPU cards drove lots of upgrades for years as they went through their exponential jumps in performance)
- Multicore (the switch to multi core is still going since not everything is optimized for multicore but since it is becoming more ubiquitous now the ongoing benefits are smaller)
- RAM/64 bit (this is still kind of developing and I think is dependent on some sort of paradigm shift in the other forms of storage)

Now the benefits of those items above are all incremental even for power users (and almost invisible to non-power users). I think we need something else to totally shake things up and force the next upgrade cycle (and I don't think it will be touch exclusively). If I had to guess I would think the next paradigm that will push the upgrade cycle is "Cloud". The ability to seemlessly integrate all your connected devices through the cloud might force the next upgrade cycle (if it can't be fully accomplished with the current hardware). You would have RAM based home/enterprise terminals/servers that shuttle your media between the cloud and your mobile devices. You would have smartphones, tablets, and laptops that seemlessly shift between applications in each form factor. There could be voice or other capabilities that are tied to this seemless convergence of all your devices through some central virtual hub that keeps everything working seemlessly. That is probably still years away though (longer if too many internet restrictions are imposed by ISPs). Just my opinion.

The cloud revolution won't happen unless the US Government changes its stance on telecommunications. Currently it's far too hard to start up a wireless tech company to provide service because you'll ultimately be paying someone else for the towers or the lines and you can't put up new lines and towers because that's limited by state and federal laws. In order for the cloud to succeed we'd need to see not just an increase in internet speeds (mainly WiFi) but also a march towards fewer restrictions on bandwidth limitations. So long as you have a XGB/month ceiling, cloud will never succeed. It's the gorilla in the room that no one in the tech industry is talking about yet it's the single determining factor in deciding whether the cloud takes off or not. Given the recent trend of increased caps and limitations, you'd figure the answer is no :p

I didn't say cloud would be easy but until there is some significant change in technology that forces a total obsolescence of the existing hardware we won't need to upgrade PCs at some astounding rate ...cloud has that potential if it is constantly syncing all these various devices that could tie up lots of CPU and GPU cycles ... touch is just a different form factor and seems to work sufficiently well with existing hardware and voice isn't tying up lots of resources yet ... until we hit some future paradigm shift like converged cloud or computers on chip or holographic technology or something, I don't see a major shift that forces the industry to make wholesale upgrades like they have done in the past ;)

Even Larry Ellison predicted "the cloud" back in the 80s, we'll get there eventually. I still don't like it fully though.

The cloud we have now for the most part is just a remote drive ... but if we get a converged cloud like some of the future sci fi scenarios then I could tell my phone that I had a burger for lunch ... it could calculate my calories on the cloud and update my diet plan ... notice that I went over my daily allowance and my fridge could be recommending I have a salad for dinner when I walk in my front door ... or my GPS could notice I just completed a 6 mile walk and adjust my thermostat down a couple of degrees when I get within 15 minutes of home ... I think if we get to that level of cloud computing and convergence (still years away) then computer technology will be out of date again encouraging a refresh ;)

Back