Global Internet Slows After 'Biggest Attack in History'

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the BBC, an ongoing attack on Spamhaus, the largest cyber-attack of its kind in history, is actually affecting the global internet and services like Netflix. Thanks to benzino_86 for the heads up.

Sven Olaf Kamphuis, who claims to be a spokesman for Cyberbunker, said, in a message, that Spamhaus was abusing its position, and should not be allowed to decide "what goes and does not go on the internet". Spamhaus has alleged that Cyberbunker, in cooperation with "criminal gangs" from Eastern Europe and Russia, is behind the attack.

Hmm, so is this why my Steam download speeds went from 2.1 MB/s to 1.9 MB/s the past couple days? :p

No kidding? I was trying to move a file from one of my computers to the other this morning and transferring over WiFi was terminally slow. I resorted to using a thumb drive. I blame all these cyber-attacks and demand restitution.

A major attack indeed, and Spamhaus seems to be doing an admirable job at fighting it...

Saying stuff like this has a way of making one eat one's words though:

"We can't be brought down."

Reminds me of a certain statement regarding a certain famous ship:

"Neither God nor man can sink this ship"

my microwave was also acting kinda funky... OFF WITH THE CYBER TERRORIST'S HEADS!!!

seriously, I hope nobody got inflicted for real, it sometimes scary to think how fragile our lives are and how influential the internet can be on it. Yay for the cyber policemen and women :) but geez I just hope they don't resort to big-brother-ish internet laws being passed...

Zarathustra[H];1039741480 said:

That was John Riccitiello on launch day of The Old Republic?

Zarathustra[H];1039741480 said:
A major attack indeed, and Spamhaus seems to be doing an admirable job at fighting it...

Saying stuff like this has a way of making one eat one's words though:

"We can't be brought down."

Well hackers several years ago tried to take Amazon down and found out the could not. i read an article that Amazon receives so much Christmas holiday traffic it beefed up its network and then some to handle the influx of traffic for that time of year. Through inadvertent planning, they quietly managed to build a network near to impossible to take down.

Look at the magnitude of the DOS attack on Spamhaus:

"These attacks are peaking at 300 gb/s (gigabits per second).
"Normally when there are attacks against major banks, we're talking about 50 gb/s."

Well hackers several years ago tried to take Amazon down and found out the could not. i read an article that Amazon receives so much Christmas holiday traffic it beefed up its network and then some to handle the influx of traffic for that time of year. Through inadvertent planning, they quietly managed to build a network near to impossible to take down.
Amazon's systems are incredible. They're attacked 24/7 and barely break a sweat.

Spamhaus needs a solid infrastructure because they piss a lot of people off... they've hardened over years and years of retaliation. Honestly if you ever get listed they are incredibly aggravating to get off.

Spamhaus needs a solid infrastructure because they piss a lot of people off... they've hardened over years and years of retaliation. Honestly if you ever get listed they are incredibly aggravating to get off.

There are things about this post that can be read the wrong way. :p

Yeah, I'm not too fond of them myself. No organization should have that much control over the Internet unless they have the personnel to deal with false positives. I've also heard it's a pain in the ass to get off their lists

"These attacks are peaking at 300 gb/s" oh snap! I actually kind of like getting DDoS'd, it makes things interesting.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of them myself. No organization should have that much control over the Internet unless they have the personnel to deal with false positives. I've also heard it's a pain in the ass to get off their lists

Staying off their lists to begin with is about as easy as not firing off a rocket-propelled grenade in New York Times Square, not being the guy who sold the RPG in an alley, and not being a customer of the guy selling RPGs in the alley.

Followup: they caught Mr. Cyberbunker (actually Sven Olaf Kamphuis). And his tricked out orange Mercedes cyberpunk mobile office van. And his heroic unibrow. Here's the guy who coordinated a record 330 billion bps DDoS:

Sven-Olaf-Kamphuis-008.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/20/man-accused-breaking-the-internet

Holy smokes, that indeed is a heroic unibrow. I think I would be getting laser treatments, or at the least spending ample time at the salon getting that thing worked on.

People need to be held financially responsible if their computers are, through their negligence or incompetence, compromised and used to attack other people. Lack of knowledge is no excuse since you can hire a computer person to take care of it for you (in much the same way as most people take their car to a mechanic).

Back