Glasses-Free 3D Gaming for $5 (Parallax Barrier)

Its a cool trick but it severely impacts image quality. This is the main problem with this parallax screen technology. Its not to dissimilar from what Toshiba recently demoed at CES. From what I've read from expert view points on this method you would need a higher resolution (much higher) to compensate for the loss in picture quality. The Toshiba unit demoed was impressive head on but it also had god awful PQ.

I won't knock that for 5 bucks its a very effective type of 3D gaming that is far less of a hassle then shutter glasses and funky drivers. But the guy in this video really doesn't convey just how bad this will cut down on PQ overall. I mean people on this forum go apeshit about glossy screens .. I couldn't possibly see the same people willing to deal with the loss in quality.

Still I think I'll give it a shot for fun , I got a wicked printer for Christmas thats completely up to the task.

I already have Nvidia 3D vision glasses and such , so I'll report back if this DYI method is even slightly worth while.

From what I've read from expert view points on this method you would need a higher resolution (much higher) to compensate for the loss in picture quality. The Toshiba unit demoed was impressive head on but it also had god awful PQ.

Parallax barriers require a pixel for each parallax image. There are a quite a few different methods for achieving autostereoscopic display. Eizo uses a directional backlight system to display parallax images without needing to duplicate pixels. Autostereoscopic displays with multiple parallax views are planned but they need an LC layer that has a very fast switching time, like blue phase.

Yes, I admit it does reduce image quality by a good amount. If you want full quality 3D then you should look at existing commercial solutions (Nvidia 3D Vision, etc.). This was just a DIY project mainly just to see what is possible, and it does indeed work.

Yes, I admit it does reduce image quality by a good amount. If you want full quality 3D then you should look at existing commercial solutions (Nvidia 3D Vision, etc.). This was just a DIY project mainly just to see what is possible, and it does indeed work.

I think it's nice that the anaglyph iz3d driver is free. Let people semi-sample the tech for no cost to them, assuming they have the glasses sitting around from somewhere way in the past, like I did.

I didn't read this part yet, but does it support both cyan/red and green/magenta?

Guys! I want this without the prallax stuff to fix the AG coating of my U2711 :D Putting the sheet on without printing on it should fix it as it has the same effect as putting some tape onto the panel. Uhm... AFK searching for deal on those sheets. :D

Back