Glasses-Free 3D Fails To Wow At CES 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
Like most people, the only way I would be interested in a 3D TV is if it was the kind without glasses. Unfortunately, it seems like those TVs still aren't ready for prime time.

LG put their glasses-free TV right out on the demo floor. Unfortunately, the company also had to put a white line in the carpet to show onlookers where to stand. And even then you must stand dead-center to get a semi-decent 3D effect. Standing off to the side even by just a few inches reveals the limitations of glasses-free tech.

you must stand dead-center to get a semi-decent 3D effect. Standing off to the side even by just a few inches reveals the limitations of glasses-free tech

Yeah I think we know why the people weren't impressed. Glasses-Free is nice, but the only way I can think of to achieve true 3D is holographic display.

Passive glasses are going to be where it's at in 2011, half resolution or not.

3D TV's SUCK and need to go away.

could not agree more... If I agreed more I would have to divide by zero

Passive glasses are going to be where it's at in 2011, half resolution or not.

ugh... the last thing we need is a REDUCTION in resolution... we need the opposite... 1080p on a 60+" display is not that great

The only 3D tech I'm currently interested in is the 3DS. Ocarina of Time remade in 3D? Yes please.

I'm not surprised in the least HTF did they thinking 3D was going to work? Its not something physical its an eye trick. Having to be in a particular position to make it work makes sense.

I think maybe in 2-3 years if the 3D thing doesn't die off again we'll see this technology getting a lot better.

The only 3D tech I'm currently interested in is the 3DS. Ocarina of Time remade in 3D? Yes please.

I already play OOT on my PC with NV 3D Vision, much better in 1080P on a 23" with AA and AF :D

I think maybe in 2-3 years if the 3D thing doesn't die off again we'll see this technology getting a lot better.

I'm betting it will die off again and in another 10 years it will still suck and be all the rage only to repeat it's death again.

I'm betting it will die off again and in another 10 years it will still suck and be all the rage only to repeat it's death again.

With the same eye trick developed in the 70's with no improvement at all. At least this time they are filming movies in 3D attempting to make the quailty better ... (that was a joke)

How does it not look like crap at 1080p? N64 textures were awful.

How will it not look like crap on the 3DS? Its still one of my favorite games where the story carries it far better then any graphics from newer games. I do have to say, some of the crappy N64 textures and graphics look incredible in 3D. I got bored so I started to see what I can pump through the 3D Vision, Star Fox 64 is another gem. AA was already a relieve on the eyes and the xbox 360 controller (baring the D-Pad) is as good if no better then the original N64 controller.

I think the movie theatre end of it will wear off soon. The disappoint of paying $20 for films like Tron:legacy and clash of the titans and getting fake/no 3D is really wearing on people nerves. However I read at penny-arcade that in home console 3D gaming is a phenomenal experience. The price is not there for me I'm not paying an extra $500 for 3D on my TV then $200 for glasses. Not even gonna comment on the PC 3D surround gaming cost.

We need to move past this 3D bullshit. Leave it to the Theaters and theme parks please. How about focusing on that 4x HD resolution becoming standard shall we? Love how TV makers are going backwards instead of forwards.

It's a full-fledged remake, not just the N64 version with 3D tacked on.

Shiny, guess what I'll be playing on my PC next then. I really wish Nintendo would come up with a scheme that you could play the games on your TV/PC and then transfer the saves to your hand held device like an iPhone. Love the Pokemon games, but don't love the tiny screens.

Shiny, guess what I'll be playing on my PC next then. I really wish Nintendo would come up with a scheme that you could play the games on your TV/PC and then transfer the saves to your hand held device like an iPhone. Love the Pokemon games, but don't love the tiny screens.

Nintendo is never going to release their games for play on an iPhone when they have their own portable device out. A device they consider their biggest competitor, I might add.

Glasses free 3D, holograms and what not still have a lot of restrictions, give me my damn holodeck!

The only time I liked it was in Avatar IMAX, I always thought it sucked before and it kinda did still suck with IMAX even, but it was definitely seeming to get better though.

No glasses? FINALLY, I'm definitely checking it out but I doubt they can produce what IMAX has.

I'd like to see a 22-24" Glassless IPS Monitor for PC that's supported by ATI and nVidia...

I'd be all over it

eh, glasses sound like the most reliable option at this point in time. It would be nice to use it without 'em, but that still seems like a pipe dream for a large screen TV.

hopefully we'll see more 3D content in the near future besides movies.

I'll add my voice to the masses that don't care for 3D. Give me 60" HDTVs with 4x1080p or at least 2160p and we'll talk ;D

I agree. 3D TV is terrible and as soon as the relative newness of the fad wears off 3D will die again. My father in law just got a 3D TV and tried showing it off over Christmas and it was nothing short of terrible. The image quality was so bad and the 3D was so fake that watching it wasn't even remotely enjoyable. Not to mention that wearing those expensive glasses in your own home is idiotic and impractical.

They had these glasses-free 3d TVs at Nvision in 2008 with exactly the same thing. White tape on the floor telling you where to stand. You would think that with 3 years, that they would have at least made an attempt to fix that.

3D TV's SUCK and need to go away.

Apparently there isn't anyone that i know can put the technology in reverse, or else we can make it go away. I'm still looking if i find them i won't wait for you to know just tell them on your and my behalf to do what you've asked.

Indeed resolution should always go up that's the only way we are gonna know (or least our future generation) that 1080p resolution actually sucks.

I get people not liking 3D, but seriously people chill. Who cares if it catches on? You will never be forced to view things in 3D if you don't want to. You act like higher resolution sets will never appear just because 3D is out and being pushed right now. They will happen, when companies feel the market is ready for it and they have sets designed to do it. For now 3D is what they're pushing and working on because they feel its going to make them money and then allow them to push the next advancement.

I think most of the expectations for glasses-free 3D are made by people who aren't really sure how it works.

The way 3D works is that a slightly different image is shown to each eye. There's two ways to do it. You can either broadcast both images to both eyes and then filter out the 'wrong' image using glasses, or you can broadcast one image to each eye, "glasses free"

However, to broadcast different images to each eye, you need to be in the perfect location. Of course it's not going to work if you move to the side - there are lenses in the screen that are focusing each image at where they expect your eye to be. That's why Nintendo can do it with the 3DS... they can make the 3D effect work at a location determined by where a normal person would hold it while gaming. It won't work if you hold it too close or too far away or at a weird angle.

The only way to get glasses-free 3D that doesn't need your head to be located in a specific location is to make the screen itself 3D (i.e. holographic).

As much as people like to bash 3D I'm totally enjoying 3D Surround and I watched a couple of movies on it over the holiday at it just as a lot to the RIGHT movie but it really adds a lot in the right games. Totally enjoy it and I won't even consider building a high end rig without it.

I cant watch 3D for more then a couple of Minutes or I feel like im going to throw up. Ive tried & tried but I cant get used to it.

Back