Glass-Bodied iPhone 8 Shatters Repeatedly in Drop Tests

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Apple claims that the glass used for the new iPhone 8 is the most durable glass ever used in a smartphone. SquareTrade, a company that provides extended warranties for electronic devices, puts that claim to the test in a series of drop tests. Both of the iPhone 8 models shattered on all sides in every drop test performed.

While wireless charging is kind of a neat gimmick, the glass back phone still just seems like a bad idea to me. The article also goes on to state that if you don't opt in for the AppleCare+ is priced at $129 for the iPhone 8, and $149 for the iPhone 8 Plus, and covers two incidents of accidental damage. Since the body is made of glass, repairs to the body are subject to the "other damage" repair fee. For the iPhone 8 With AppleCare+ it is $29 for a broken display, and $99 for "other damage." Without AppleCare+ the display repair is $149, and "other damage" is $349. The iPhone 8 Plus is more expensive at $169 for the display, and $399 for the "other damage"

However, those tests I think are biased to show the iPhone in a good light compared to the Note 8. As I've seen numerous drop tests on both brands and this is the first I see that the iPhone is more "stable" than the Samsung. Plus the disabled comments section? Yeah right.

Durable doesnt automatically mean shatter proof, could just mean scratch resistance. Either way you can thank all the whingers who wanted wireless charging just because its another tick on a piece of paper and never really gets used.

Ill stick with my all metal iphone 7 thanks

I'll stick to my durable plastic phone. It feels good, doesn't shatter and eventual repairs are a bargain.

too much courage there.

also glass back to enable wireless charging?

fuck off.

seriously fuck right off.

i'll stick with my cheap plastic zenfone 2 thanks.

wireless charing is just a coil inside for induction. It works with thick ass metal even, let alone plastic ... and LMFAO ... "glass"

This is a blantant BS and slimy schemey way to fleece apple tards even further. wow .........

Yup now rub some keys and coins over the back and let is know how that works out for you :)

i don't even know what you are talking about.

the inductive part is built in to the inside of the back of the phone.

what the hell are you talking about?

41g3C-tYoKL._SX425_.jpg

see?

All this shit just makes me miss my flip phone.

When am I going to get a folding smart phone with a single, folding display?

A $1,000+ Apple phone made out entirely out of glass, front and back? Are you seriously kidding me?

Here, this is news worthy and of interest to the HardOCP community.

If anyone here is in need a new phone that is simply AMAZING amazing amazing ... but cheap, for themselves or a friend/family member, check this out.

It's only $219 and shipped free

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Glo...-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385504.html

Xiaomi Mi A1

This is the "Global" Version of the phone and works with all US Carriers @ 4G LTE speeds ( see chart in link below )

http://www.china-prices.com/phone/bands/9731/xiaomi-mi-a1

Here are the specs:

IR Blaster ( universal remote )
5.5" FHD 1080p IPS Gorilla Glass
USB-C Fast Charging 3.0 / High-Speed Data Transfers
Snapdragon 825 Octa-core CPU ( 8 Cores )
64GB Ram / 4GB
MicroSDHC Slot up to 128GB Ram for a total of 196gb
Dual Sim
3,080mAh battery
Full metal body
3.5mm Audio Jack
Dual Rear 12mega pixel lenses with 2.0 aperture
Rear Fingerprint scanner
Androidone OS ( getting Oreo in Novemeber or December and getting Android P in 2018 )

To put this into perspective, the new Motorola's Moto X4 which is America's first "Androidone" phone is $399 and has much lesser specifications.

Last edited:
I honestly dont get this "premium" phone must have "premium(glass)" materials nonsense.

Glass is weak as fuck.

What is wrong with a premium device made with polycarbonate, whatever Nokia used back in the day or whatever google used with the Nexus 6?

The good thing is, mid tier and used phones are a tremendous value these days.

Last edited:
Did that bald in-house Apple ID homo John Ive come up with this shit-show? Survey says YES!!!

it's like the die hard apple fanbois are perpetually stuck in a time warp from 5 years ago, wireless charging? Old school nexus devices had that ages ago. 1440p resolution (which it doesn't have) has been around forever.

I don't judge anyone if they want to put money into the pockets of apple while fapping to a lifesize carboard cutout of steve Jobs... but jesus, how much harder do they need to fuck you before you realize there are better and (much) cheaper alternatives out there.

it's like the die hard apple fanbois are perpetually stuck in a time warp from 5 years ago, wireless charging? Old school nexus devices had that ages ago. 1440p resolution (which it doesn't have) has been around forever.

I don't judge anyone if they want to put money into the pockets of apple while fapping to a lifesize carboard cutout of steve Jobs... but jesus, how much harder do they need to fuck you before you realize there are better and (much) cheaper alternatives out there.

What cheaper Android phones are faster than an iPhone 8?

They are stuck in the eco-system not realizing that it's time to rip that band-aid off.

A little Highlander humor. Has anyone ever checked P.T. Barnum's signature to see if it matches any Apple documents?

The note8 didn't look much better, to me. +1 on "why the fuck do we need glass phones?"
Not that I'd ever buy a top of the line phone. Using a Zenfone 2 laser (quad core, 2gb ram) which works great for mail, browsing, Skype and freelancer app.

My phone can and has survived every one of these drop tests, including being kicked across the parking lot by accident. But then, my phone is in an otterbox because I'm not retarded.

I think a fair advantage of Apple over Android is the length of time for security updates. If my Nexus 5 still received security updates, I would keep using it until it breaks. Its specs are still competitive today. I'm kind of pissed that if I go with Apple, I have go with a Plus model because the base models don't even have 1080p resolution like my Nexus 5.

My 8+ went into a BodyGuardz case before I left the Verizon store. When I got home I installed an Invisibleshield I had left over from my 6+ days. I protect my expensive devices.

Last edited:
My 8+ went into a BodyGuardz case before I left the Verizon store. When I got home I installed an Invisibleshield I had left over from my 6+ days. I protect my expensive devices.

This is what smart people do. I get that the phones get thicker and lose their shinies when they're in a case. When you drop large amounts of money on a phone that you probably can't replace easily... suck it up and use a case. I seen people break their phones the same week because they didn't put a case on it.

But yeah. Who woulda thunk that glass breaks when droped?

Long nails not good for touch screens!

If you turn off your phone your battery may last longer!

Don't shoot your phone with a .5 cal weapon!

Don't bend the phone!

Don't shoot your phone out of a cannon!

Don't hold your phone wrong!

Don't drop your phone out of an international flight; mid air.

Knives don't work well as a stylus.

Don't sleep beside your Samsung Note 7 while charging. ...At all!

I honestly dont get this "premium" phone must have "premium(glass)" materials?

Glass is weak as fuck.

What is wrong with a premium device made with polycarbonate, whatever Nokia used back in the day or whatever google used with the Nexus 6?

The good thing is, mid tier and used phones are a tremendous value these days.

Actually glass has a very high youngs modulus leading to incredible strength. However it's ultimate yield is low. Its one of the reasons we still use glass for automobiles.

I did my "fanboy best" to find this like the sammy shills here. http://bgr.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-vs-galaxy-note-8-drop-test-glass/

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 doesn't work after proper drop test, Iphone does. <--------- Front page? Oh and Samsung lost patent suit with Apple while back before the whole "Samsung did it first" bullshit pops up. I agree, Apple sat on its ass this round with only one OLED phone coming out in limited quantity and repeat looks from 2 years ago. But I will not support that shitty Android software that a 3 year old could hack. Or the fact every Galaxy phone I had would boot back to the main screen in the middle of a game, which still happens on the new Mint Chocolate Chip Reese Cup Oreo Blizzard OU8124MEalso software. You think a company with shares over $900 could at least dump some of that money into better and secure software. They all be made over seas, but the Apple money comes home to MURICA, FUCK YA! :dead:

I’m stuck on Apple because I need work email, so no there are not better alternatives out there for me.

I did my "fanboy best" to find this like the sammy shills here. http://bgr.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-vs-galaxy-note-8-drop-test-glass/

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 doesn't work after proper drop test, Iphone does. <--------- Front page? Oh and Samsung lost patent suit with Apple while back before the whole "Samsung did it first" bullshit pops up. I agree, Apple sat on its ass this round with only one OLED phone coming out in limited quantity and repeat looks from 2 years ago. But I will not support that shitty Android software that a 3 year old could hack. Or the fact every Galaxy phone I had would boot back to the main screen in the middle of a game, which still happens on the new Mint Chocolate Chip Reese Cup Oreo Blizzard OU8124MEalso software. You think a company with shares over $900 could at least dump some of that money into better and secure software. They all be made over seas, but the Apple money comes home to MURICA, FUCK YA! :dead:

the fanboi is strong

So i can inderstand the shot test. Have done this a few times by running with phone in pocket and it flys out shooting past me who has stopped. I dont really understand 6ft drop. Most drops are from waist height. Tumble for 60 seconds???? Dont put phone in dryer? I guess it could happen but you deserve whatever happens to your phone if you leave it in washer or dryer.

Back