Glad i made my Xigmatek sandwich tonight

fubar569

[H]ard|Gawd
...using 2 AFB1212VHE's as bread...

I saw an immediate 5c+ drop in temps...at idle coretemp shows 2 cores in the teens (18c)...under load peak temps never crease over 48c under prolonged 100% load with intelburntest...

this is Q6600 (1.325vid) @ 3.3ghz 1.41v idle, VTT 1.38, NB 1.37...all others stock volts

i could probably 7v these fans and really cut the noise without even being much worse off than 1 fan...prolly the same or just a nip better cooling...

one could also do this with a pair of silent or near silent fans and likely see a nice improvement...

fans are mounted with 8-32 threaded rod thru the fins of the Xig and nuts on both ends...like i said...basically a Xigmatek sandwich...

thus ends today's experimentation...back to your regularly scheduled [H]

You might want to check that out, unless you live in a freezer your cores even at idle will never be 18C. For that to happen you'd have to have an ambient temp of 5-10C assuming the delta T of the cooler is around 10C. I'd just check on that if I were you, generally the best way is to find out ambient and if your cores are below ambient then you know you have something messed up. The best air coolers have a delta T of around 10C so that's ambient + 10C. The load temps do seem a bit low too considering air but I have no idea what your ambient is.

i do not have a thermometer in my room to verify...i know i have 2 outer walls and one inner entryway wall that has a constant 10c or less temp right now...

i updated coretemp's TjMax value with the latest revelations from intel that stated a TjMax of 90c for G0 Q6600 chips...the sensors are not stuck or failing according to realtemp's little test...

working backwards though...a 20c idle core with delta T of 10 would mean an ambient of about 50F....based on how cold my feet are ATM i'd say its entirely possible...

hang on though...i'll see if i can track down a thermometer

room temp is about 65

it was MUCH colder before i fired up the computer...

lowest core idle temp in coretemp now is 20c...highest 24/25

doing the back math this would either mean the sensors are still off by an appreciable amount...or the Xig with 2 deltas is better than water...i'm betting on option 1 which is probably true. intel themselves stated not to trust the sensors for an absolute measurement of any kind of accuracy til around 50c or higher...any reading below 50 is just to be assumed a temp below 50 and not necessarily the exact number indicated...

if it were 100% accurate...that would mean this cooler has a delta of about 5c...which is unheard of for an air cooler...

Pretty sure it's just unheard of period. It is possible I'm sure to get a Delta of 5C just very very hard and even with water it's pretty darn hard. I would guess that the DTS's arn't giving you good readings at idle, at load it seems fair.

all i know is i need to 7v these or order some dynamat...lol

it really isn't too bad...I imagine i'll be moving everything over to a new case soon so i'll have time to propery think things through with the rebuild...

it's loud...loud enough...

Specifications:

* Rated Voltage: 12 VDC
* Operating Voltage: 4 to 13.2 VDC
* Rated Current: 0.60 amp
* Rated Input Power: 7.20
* Fan Speed: 3200 RPM
* Maximum Airflow: 129.96 CFM, 3.68 m3/min
* Maximum Air Pressure: 10.7 mmH20, 0.420 inch H20,
* Noise: 48 dBa

one of my former rigs was built around Dual Athlon XP1700+ @ 2.41ghz with SLK-900A's and 92mm tornados plus a total of 2 each 80mm and 120mm intake and 2 each 80mm and 120mm exhaust...

comparatively...this is quiet...and doesn't have to be bolted down to the floor for fear of hovering away...

With moving to a new case i'll be sure to volt mod them down plus lay some sound deadener in the case...overall it won't be too bad...heck for all i know the next solution will be silent water...i'd enjoy the piece of mind...i just have to be careful of my cat getting into it...

Back