GK110 Specifications Approximated

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Even as launch of the GK104-based GeForce GTX 680 nears, it's clear that it is emerging that it is not the fastest graphics processor in the GeForce Kepler family, if you sift through the specifications of the GK110 (yes, 110, not 100). Apparently, since GK104 meets or even exceeds the performance expectations of NVIDIA, the large-monolithic chip planned for this series, is likely codenamed GK110, and it's possible that it could get a GeForce GTX 700 series label.

3DCenter.org approximated the die size of the GK110 to be around 550 mm², 87% larger than that of the GK104. Since the chip is based on the 28 nm fab process, this also translates to a large increment in transistor count, up to 6 billion.

http://www.techpowerup.com/162765/GK110-Specifications-Approximated.html

Hello real GTX 680!

The GK104 seems like more and more of a gap filler.

because posting all the rumors about GK104 wasn't enough. Now that it's almost out, lets start a shit storm of rumors about something else.

Is this the fabled 3x 580 real world performance chip I wonder? Its to god damn bad that I have a pair of 8800s... I pretty much have to upgrade to 7970 or 680 real soon here... Can't wait another year, its already been 5!

because posting all the rumors about GK104 wasn't enough. Now that it's almost out, lets start a shit storm of rumors about something else.

There's always something new on the horizon that's better and faster.
I think that's good news rather than stagnation.
Is this the fabled 3x 580 real world performance chip I wonder? Its to god damn bad that I have a pair of 8800s... I pretty much have to upgrade to 7970 or 680 real soon here... Can't wait another year, its already been 5!

3x580 was due to FXAA optimization not raw power.You can safely say this has the potential to match two 580s though.

That's just great. Just when I've made up my mind to get the 680 :p

This is the real GTX 680. Not the GK104 crap that Nvidia renamed to justify a higher price tag. Even if it beats the HD 7970, Nvidia would of rocked AMD if they would just kept it named as a GTX 660 Ti with a potential release price of $399- $449.

3DCenter.org approximated the die size of the GK110 to be around 550 mm², 87% larger than that of the GK104. Since the chip is based on the 28 nm fab process, this also translates to a large increment in transistor count, up to 6 billion.

With an 80% increase in heat!

lol. While I am surely excited about this possiblity - how the hell are they going to make something this f-ing big while keeping the TPW low - considering the 680 is at 250 already.

With an 80% increase in heat!

lol. While I am surely excited about this possiblity - how the hell are they going to make something this f-ing big while keeping the TPW low - considering the 680 is at 250 already.

The 680 is at 195, while the 7970 is at 250. nV has plenty of headroom over the GTX 680. More VRAM, bus size, die size, power draw and transistors can all be increased and stay under 300W.

According to Tom Hardware chart, the 680 is already quite close to the 590 in 1080p that is, altought 590 win easily at 1600 tought..

Hopefully tomorrow a little information on this will be provided, at least that's what I hope.

Approximated? Depends on who you ask, especially in here...
If history tells us anything then I do think GK110 will be the proper kepler ala 480->580

Hmm, damn, tough to decide to buy 3 680s now or wait.

Buy now, enjoy them, then buy 3x more 780/GK 110's later. If you're picking up 3x at a time it sounds like you can eat the $ lost from a [H]ard upgrade cycle! :cool:

Buy now, enjoy them, then buy 3x more 780/GK 110's later. If you're picking up 3x at a time it sounds like you can eat the $ lost from a [H]ard upgrade cycle! :cool:

Yeah, probably what I'll do, I've had these 580s for close to a year and a half so I do have the GPU upgrade bug. Just kind of keeping an eye on things to try to catch when these things go on sale, I'd love to be gaming with them this weekend.:D

I wasn't referring to the samaritan video, I was referring to the early roadmap slides that showed kepler at 3x fermi, and maxwell at like 15x fermi

Holy crap that's a huge die! But still smaller than the GT200 at 576 mm² !

Those slides probably referred to the GK100/110 rather than the GK104.

Yes, I am aware of this, which is why I made my original post in reference to the OP who was talking about GK110

Edit: I hope I'm not coming off as rude, I just figured it would be obvious I wa referring to gk110 as this is a gk110 thread

This (if it's real) is the card I'm waiting for. The 680, as someone else put it, does feel like a stop gap card, and not the kepler that was anticipated. I'd always feel like I paid top dollar for a mid range card, even if it does perform well. I'm definitely not hurting with my current setup, I can stick it out for a few more months.

This (if it's real) is the card I'm waiting for. The 680, as someone else put it, does feel like a stop gap card, and not the kepler that was anticipated. I'd always feel like I paid top dollar for a mid range card, even if it does perform well. I'm definitely not hurting with my current setup, I can stick it out for a few more months.

My name is Cave Johnson, and I approve this message.

Back