GK110 Slimmed Down, Possible GTX 780?

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
http://translate.google.it/translat...bereder-nedbantat-geforce-gtx-titan-med-gk110

According to the SweClockers now preparing a slimmed down Nvidia graphics card with circuit GK110, known from Geforce GTX Titan. The exact details are not yet known, but the source says that the graphics card is based on essentially the same configuration as Tesla, K20. That would mean 2496 CUDA cores, 320-bit memory bus, and 5 GB of GDDR5 memory. Nvidia has the opportunity to halve the amount of memory with the same bandwidth.

The rumors before Titan was released pointed to the 780 being a slimmed down GK110.
July-August is the projected release date and it will be expensive, again. AMD where are you?

Would be a very powerful 780 if it goes for the typical $599 price. Question is; 2.5GB or 5GB?

Yes, but a cut down version will surely get a consumer variant.
Nv cutting down the GK110 means good news for the GTX 700 series later this year.

Would be a very powerful 780 if it goes for the typical $599 price. Question is; 2.5GB or 5GB?

Maybe a $50-100 difference between the two.
I'll go for the 5GBs in SLI.

Holy bejebus I hope they release a cut down version with 2.5 or 3GB of VRAM, that would be great. The 5GB mentioned in the article is still overkill for all but the most dedicated triple 30 inch screen surround setups. I bet it would sell extremely well at a 700$ price point. What do you guys think?

Holy bejebus I hope they release a cut down version with 2.5 or 3GB of VRAM, that would be great. The 5GB mentioned in the article is still overkill for all but the most dedicated triple 30 inch screen surround setups. I bet it would sell extremely well at a 700$ price point. What do you guys think?

With a 320-bit bus you're looking at 2.5 or 5GB. 3GB isn't really an option.

That was the sound of unsold Titans suddenly piling up on shelves.

With a 320-bit bus you're looking at 2.5 or 5GB. 3GB isn't really an option.

2.5GB it is then. You'd have an awfully hard time making a case for 5GB unless you are using 3 surround monitors at 2560x1440 each.....IMO. 5GB really is overkill for 99% of users.

But then it will come down to whether nvidia wants to create a more economical part with higher sales (eg 2.5GB) versus a higher priced, higher margin and lower volume part (5GB). I'm not really sure.

Yea I use surround 1080p screens for now but I want 3 overlord tempests 5gb is perfect for that

Yea I use surround 1080p screens for now but I want 3 overlord tempests 5gb is perfect for that

i have three 4gb 680s for surround 1080p, i have yet to see my cards hit even 2gbs, and i play demanding games.

NVIDIA should have released a cheaper version of Titan with 3GB of VRAM because 6GB is overkill and unnecessary unless your running a high resolution with multiple monitors.

But a cut down version with a smaller memory bus and VRAM would be nice as well, hopefully it isn't insanely priced like Titan.

Future proofing LOLzzzzzzzzz.... :p

Just as funny as people on [H] forum complaining about too much of something! :) 4K is around the corner.

I'm sick of the VRAM debate...as if it really impacts the price that much. I'll always take as much as I can get.

Yes overkill for 90% of everyone. But lets face it the people that spend $500+ on a video card are that 10% target. Most "Gamers" don't even spend that type of money on half their system.

If you build it, someone will buy it.

This .... Better yet... 3 displayports and 3 dual link DVI's on one card.

The impulsiveness in me wanted to pick one up, but I want to run 3 27" 120hz 3D monitors at 1080p each, with one guage monitor. The fps output on some of the outputs would gimp the side monitors making it kinda shitty for nVidia surround...

How do you use up 5GB of VRAM?

add, 2, 3, or 4 cards

or play Hitman :p

seriously though, there is a growing need for more VRAM in the latest games, and if you are going multi-GPU, and or surround with multi-display, you want all you can get

NVIDIA should have released a cheaper version of Titan with 3GB of VRAM because 6GB is overkill and unnecessary unless your running a high resolution with multiple monitors.

But a cut down version with a smaller memory bus and VRAM would be nice as well, hopefully it isn't insanely priced like Titan.

Maybe just maybe, GDDR isn't as expensive as it use to be. Just a thought.

Build it, and they will come...

done it, but i like my fps above 60 at all times so i play on high, 2xmsaa
at these settings i dont see my cards even hit 2gbs.

Don't see how that's possible having surround, because at those settings @ 1440p my VRAM usage goes up to 2.9GB.
Check your cards.

add, 2, 3, or 4 cards

or play Hitman :p

seriously though, there is a growing need for more VRAM in the latest games, and if you are going multi-GPU, and or surround with multi-display, you want all you can get

Yep

Looks like they are releasing a cheaper titan later this year wit I thInk it was 2 smx less

Skyrim mods, lol.

I knew someone was going to say that. Jeez. If I had a dollar for every time I hear that claim. I've played the game to death and I like the game, but my goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see that tech demo of faces? That was running on a Titan. I wonder how much VRAM that required?

Just as funny as people on [H] forum complaining about too much of something! :) 4K is around the corner.

I'm sick of the VRAM debate...as if it really impacts the price that much. I'll always take as much as I can get.

I think I'm more offended by the reason it's done: marketing. 3 GB sounds more impressive than 2 GB on a specs list, even though there are precious few games these days that can truly make use of that much VRAM and few powerful enough to run well at the kind of resolutions where lots of VRAM is needed. It's just a case of manufacturers trying to one-up each other to get people to buy their stuff considering most GPUs are nearly the same thing regardless of brand.

done it, but i like my fps above 60 at all times so i play on high, 2xmsaa
at these settings i dont see my cards even hit 2gbs.

i hit over 2gig vram usage easily at 2560x1600 over 60fps.

on my 680 classy sli in crysis.

Back