GK110 and the next generation

Sowexly

Gawd
I've been looking at "leaked rumors" about suggested release dates for the next generation or at least the high end version of Kepler but is it just smoke and mirrors?

I'm pretty excited about the Lightning 680 that is coming out but I don't think I should pull the trigger if some "685" is coming out in less than 4 months.

The CEO of nVidia stated on-camera that GK110 GeForce (gaming) GPU's will be released Q1 2013. It is extremely unlikely that they will be available before that, and there is a decent chance of them being delayed as well. So 6 months MINIMUM. Thats about as long as you can get in the GPU world. There is always a better card soon, usually quite a bit less than 6 months.

Well if the rumors are close at all seems like more power draw for about that much more power.

And guess what, when you wait for that 685, and finally pull the trigger, something else will be rumored, or come along. 695 perhaps? 7990? Maybe another AMD single GPU solution thats faster than the 680 prior to the 685.

If you never pull the trigger because of something "latest and greatest" lurking around the corner, you will never buy anything.

The 680 is more than enough for any game... and if something comes out later, just buy a used 680 for cheaper than retail and SLI for more performance than the latest and greatest card.

And guess what, when you wait for that 685, and finally pull the trigger, something else will be rumored, or come along. 695 perhaps? 7990? Maybe another AMD single GPU solution thats faster than the 680 prior to the 685.

If you never pull the trigger because of something "latest and greatest" lurking around the corner, you will never buy anything.

The 680 is more than enough for any game... and if something comes out later, just buy a used 680 for cheaper than retail and SLI for more performance than the latest and greatest card.
Ya I guess you're right mate, I guess I'll just wait until Newegg stocks the Lightning 680 and grab two now rather than ask what if all the time.

Thats what I had to do... Back in August, I bought a GTX 580 when I rebuilt my system. I paid $479 for it at Frys.. a couple of months later, the GTX 680 rumors starting flying an a couple of months after that, they released at.... $499.

They were faster, cooler, and only $20 more than I had paid only 5 months earlier. I ended up picking up an MSI 680 and watercooled this beast. About 2 weeks after I got my 680 the 690 debued, which was fine since I didnt have $1k+ to spend on a card anyway, but shortly after that, all of these leaked 685 specs...

You cant win in this industry. Technology has a whole has been slowing down on the advancement timeline, but unless you make a substancial salary every year, and have thousands to blow... do like I do... Get the best you can afford at the time and be happy. My 680 blows me away, and I cant wait to get a second one! I wont do that though until the 685 releases since I want the price to drop more.

Back