GK104 = GTX 680 (confirmed), paper launching soon [SA]

Fan control update + better OC maybe? At first I thought they held clocks waaaay back for secrecy reasons, but this makes more sense I guess.
What is a brush in conjuction with a fan? I'm no native English speaker, so I don't know.

Fan (has brushs) control update + better OC maybe? At first I thought they held clocks waaaay back for secrecy reasons, but this makes more sense I guess.

Good guess... perhaps a newer fan profile enabling better clocks, resulting in the higher performance?

What is a brush in conjuction with a fan? I'm no native English speaker, so I don't know.

A fan's "brush" in English typically would relate to the blades, which would imply cooling ability in this case for it to make sense.

40% OC would be pretty sweet. I rarely have been this excited about a new card. What is on Monday? Are we going to see reviews?

40% OC would be pretty sweet. I rarely have been this excited about a new card. What is on Monday? Are we going to see reviews?

Purportedly an NDA lift... w1zzard has implied on his forum (TPU) that he received his press kit this morning at GDC 2012. With luck, we'll see reviews :D!

I have a feeling Monday won't be full-on reviews, but rather architecture overview. I would happily accept being wrong though!

lets be realistic. They are going to price this wherever it falls in the market, regardless of the original intent. If the 7970 went the way of bulldozer we would still be seeing 349-399 high end cards from AMD. I could see this having been meant to hit that mid range section, but getting better performance cranking it up to or > 580 levels will clearly set a price point above the 2-300$ mark.

Yeah, I'm guessing $450-500 is probably likely for this part. Hopefully not (if any) much more, though.

Yeah, I'm guessing $450-500 is probably likely for this part. Hopefully not (if any) much more, though.

$449 would be okay (but higher than I was hoping), if it does generally fall in between the 7950 and 7970. That's also on par with previous GTX x80 card pricing.

$449 would be okay (but higher than I was hoping), if it does generally fall in between the 7950 and 7970. That's also on par with previous GTX x80 card pricing.

I am holding out hope for 399, but I am guessing that's a pipe dream at this point. I'll be grabbing two, if they hit at that or lower. Otherwise I will have to give a little thought....

The GTX 560 Ti 448 is, what, only 10-15% slower than the GTX 580, so a 50% performance bump on that card puts it in 7970 territory. Heck, even a 50% bump on the 560 Ti puts it in the 7970 ballpark - are you saying Nvidia couldn't have pulled off a 50% improvement over the 560 Ti?

50% would be towards the high end for one generation, but not impossible. I am also comparing it to the GTX460. Keep in mind the 560 TI models are on very mature silicon having been manufactured for over a year and a half now.

The new process or Kepler will likely not have good enough yields to fully take advantage of the architecture.

Nvidia has to be so relieved that they can now charge $399 or even $499 for what was technically going to be a mid range card. this is truly going to be a poor time to upgrade for most people.

From China....

680-> X3200~3300
(7970)-> X2700~2800
670Ti -> X2500~2600
(7950) -> X2200~2300

For reference a 1240mhz core 7970 Radeon got x3300 in my rig.

The 8970 will probably come out before the the kepler high end. By the time kepler high end comes out the new amd architecture will be coming soon LoL rinse and repeat.

Doubt we will see low prices again till the new consoles come out and change the game

The 8970 will probably come out before the the kepler high end. By the time kepler high end comes out the new amd architecture will be coming soon LoL rinse and repeat.

Doubt we will see low prices again till the new consoles come out and change the game

Sea islands was confirmed in AMD's own slides to be a 2013 product. I doubt they will be refreshing their entire product line before then, so the only thing they could do at this point would be to bin Tahiti for a faster core speeds than what the hd7970 is.

more likely that we will see a 7990(dual card) or 7980(higher clock / core count) before that

From China....

680-> X3200~3300
(7970)-> X2700~2800
670Ti -> X2500~2600
(7950) -> X2200~2300

For reference a 1240mhz core 7970 Radeon got x3300 in my rig.

I think having two cards in that range pretty much kills the chances of a good price on the GTX 680. If it was the only card you might hope for agrressive pricing, but if those numbers are right they could easily match the $450 and $550 prices of the AMD cards (if not higher).

I think having two cards in that range pretty much kills the chances of a good price on the GTX 680. If it was the only card you might hope for agrressive pricing, but if those numbers are right they could easily match the $450 and $550 prices of the AMD cards (if not higher).

No, if there are two companies with cards close together, there is competition, and prices will come down. If there was only one company with a high end card, it would have no reason to lower prices...

If nv's cards are a bit faster but they come out at say, the same price, then AMD will have to lower their prices, and so on.

Both tol cards are good and if they are the same then both will sell good. The drop in price won't happen for awhile and will be so little that waiting for it will seem pointless. All I know is if high end kepler comes out in 2013 then I will not touch it. Knowing the new amd architecture is around the corner and will definitely have huge performance increase. Nvdia maybe to far behind now

No, if there are two companies with cards close together, there is competition, and prices will come down. If there was only one company with a high end card, it would have no reason to lower prices...

If nv's cards are a bit faster but they come out at say, the same price, then AMD will have to lower their prices, and so on.

I agree that close performance should drive prices down eventually, but my hope was that if there was only the single card then greater supply might let them price it aggresively. Splitting the yield over two cards pretty much kills that (probably wishful) thought.

GTX 580 has 3B transistors, 7970 has 4.3B, 43% more. So if the new nV chip is about the same size, they've got 43% more transistors to play with. Due to the new process they can probably clock higher too, let's say 20%. Shouldn't that allow them easily to surpass 7970 stock performance?

What Nvidia needs to do is stop with this war of inches and come out with the big guns blazing, then launch a mid-range card at a later date. And they also need to shelve a GPU that has better multi-monitor support. I'd like to see 3 monitor eyefinity like support on Nvidia cards

What Nvidia needs to do is stop with this war of inches and come out with the big guns blazing, then launch a mid-range card at a later date. And they also need to shelve a GPU that has better multi-monitor support. I'd like to see 3 monitor eyefinity like support on Nvidia cards

Well thats the thing. This GK104 is the midrange replacement for the GF114 (GTX 560 Ti), but with no big chip (GK110) this is going to be the replacement for the GTX 580 right now. Come whenever the big chip comes out Nvida can rebrand the GK104 as the GTX 760 and lower the prices, while even having a better chip come out in a higher pricing bracket. Going to be a good year for Nvidia. Thats why I'm going to hold out for the big chip to come to knock prices down even more. My 560 Ti isn't having any issues playing games for me, so I can afford to wait.

Kyle has stated that Kepler will launch with single-card surround support.

Brand and marketing is extremely important. Don't kid yourself

I call nV Surround Eyefinity many times. AMDs Eyefinity better describes multi-monitor support.
It reminds me when people said, "Can you Xerox this?" when they were using a totally different brand of copier.

Brand marketing is critical.

I don't know that Eyefinity sounds any better than Nvidia Surround, it's just that it was first. When you think about it, Eyefinity doesn't really mean anything - at least Surround implies that it is surrounding you with something. Getting that initial branding connection to something new can be huge (think iPad and tablets as well).

Are people seriously complaining about what nVidia calls multi-monitor gaming?

Really?

OK this thread is 14 pages long. What's the consensus ? GTX-680 faster or slower than the ATI 7970 ? If no one knows answer yet, close this thread until officially known. Is silly speculation going on, too many fan boys and BS.

Are people seriously complaining about what nVidia calls multi-monitor gaming?

Really?

I don't think anyone was complaining, just discussing.

OK this thread is 14 pages long. What's the consensus ? GTX-680 faster or slower than the ATI 7970 ? If no one knows answer yet, close this thread until officially known. Is silly speculation going on, too many fan boys and BS.

It's a rumor and speculation thread, what did you expect when you came in here?

If it's true that the 680 is coming out next week, I bet [H] has one right now, and are testing it thoroughly.

Yeah everyone got one about 100 will go out in a press kit from the 8th to the 12th, then they get two weeks and publish reviews on the 23rd.

And it has to be faster, they wouldn't call it a 680 if it was slower. And it has to be a more power efficient and space efficient design because 2x6pin on that pcb is pulling less power than 6+8 on the TahitiXT, and GK104 die measures smaller than Tahiti die.

And who wins in the driver department, well I shouldn't mention it's a no-contest.

Tahiti's trump card - Eyefinity. Nvidia is retarded if they don't respond to that.

I can't wait to get GTX 680, I got 7970 and had nothing but problems with it.

If Kepler can do BF3 in Nvidia Surround on ONE card, I will probably go back to team green. If it can't be done on one card though I will probably go for the 7970. Do you guys think 2GB of VRAM is enough for surround on BF3 at 5760x1080 though?

Back