GK104 = GTX 680 (confirmed), paper launching soon [SA]

doesn't cf/sli only use the memory from just one of the cards? i got 2 7970s and when I play crysis 2 my afterburner slowly climbs over 4gb of memory usage. . .is this normal? each card has about 3 gigs of memory.

doesn't cf/sli only use the memory from just one of the cards? i got 2 7970s and when I play crysis 2 my afterburner slowly climbs over 4gb of memory usage. . .is this normal? each card has about 3 gigs of memory.

If AMD's Crossfire could take advantage of the memory on both cards then that would be a huge bonus to AMD and would have me considering a switch. I'm really tired of my 1250MB memory limit. One monitor basically uses that in BF3, so I'm even questioning if the current 3GB cards would be enough for some games 12 months from now across 3 screens. I'm really banking on 4 GB Kepler's being available.

The 2 gig keplers are not enough memory for current games. I realize that BF3 uses more than 2 all the time in eyefinity when aa is enabled. Skyrim will suffer performance loss with just 2 gigs. I understand nv is not interested in 3 screens but they should have at least 3 gigs as standard like amd.

As for future games there are none. I think no one is making anymore intensive graphing games till the new console architecture is out. Nothing new and nothing interesting for a couple of years. So by a good card now and your set for a couple of years

*drools*

I can't wait for Kepler to destroy the 7970!

While I still plan on picking up a 7970 when the MSI Lightning is released(I want to do Eyefinity), I hope you are right. If it can handily beat the 7970 at a similar price point it may drive the price down. Unfortunately though I am thinking Nvidia will probably price it accordingly with whatever performance it delivers.

At the end of the day good healthy competition between manufacturers translates into a win for the consumers. :D I can guarantee you, there is no brand loyalty from this guy.

Will be funny when it will launch at 7970 price or even higher,i want to see people complaining beeing overpriced. It will offer lets say 20% over 7970 just like 7970 did over 580,and beeing 40% faster than last gen,just like 7970 is to 6970 :)

*drools*

I can't wait for Kepler to destroy the 7970!

Sadly it doesn't appear that this will happen.

The rumored performance is a mixed bag between HD 7870 and HD 7970: 10% faster than Radeon HD 7970 in Battlefield 3, but 10% slower in 3DMark11. Also, Epic's Samaritan demo, which required three GTX 580 boards only requires a single Kepler, i.e. a single GK104 chip.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-...r-dynamic-clocking-2-and-4gb-gddr5/15148.html

There has been so much rumor shills to make the 680 seem bigger than the 7970 but now that the release is near and the realistic leaks are out. Well it just dosent look so good. Unfortunately its not going to kill the 7970. All they can say is its better in ONE game and not by much. So don't get your hopes up they already let you down. Besides the cards that are giving these results are the best of the best out of all they have so the realistic power of these cards that almost everyone will buy will be lower.

Remember the 7970 is a oc monster meaning this 680 is going to have to be a crazy overclocker like the 7970 in order to beat it and with only 2 gigs of memory for high resolutions well that's not good enough

How often do people play 3dmark? And whose drivers do you think have more room to improve - GK104's or Tahiti's? Which company, do you think, does a better job at squeezing more performance out of their parts via drivers?

3dmark is still something to base your performance off
and both camp have plenty of room to improve on drivers
nvidia usually do better but that doesn't mean amd won't do well

3dmark is still something to base your performance off
and both camp have plenty of room to improve on drivers
nvidia usually do better but that doesn't mean amd won't do well

This is all correct. Just keep in mind we buy graphics cards to play games, not to run 3dmark11.

GT, you specifically questioned whether I did indeed purchase SLI 580s. Here you go, I took the time to make this: receipt of my MSI LIGHTNING GTX 580 sli purchase. Pretty easy to edit your personal info out with MS paint. Also, I have board screencaps with my name, I will try to dig that up. Cards have since been sold.

click the thumbnail twice to view receipt.

Last edited:
on top of that, a single 7970 can run multipplayer just fine @ 3150x1680 or 3600x1200 on a blend of high-ultra. Hard to believe that a 7950 can't keep it smooth @ 2560x1600... specially oc'd.

I smell trolllage

Either that or he had (or has) a defective card or some other issue that isn't apparent. Or its just a difference in definition of "just fine".

Last edited:
Skyrim will suffer performance loss with just 2 gigs.

That is a gross oversimplification and borderline false. Sure, if you replace everything with like 4K textures and run uGrids=9 or 11, you might see that kind of usage.

Personally, I run with full 2K textures, uGrids = 7 and unless I crank AA to 8X, I can run just fine at 1080p max settings (including higher shadows/water ini tweaks) and 4x FSAA.

Wow, okay, lets have fun with this :) Newegg receipt screencap or a desktop driver screencap with your name typed in notepad.

Just blur your personal info out of the picture for a receipt. Another board had eerily similar posts to yours, not saying anything is wrong with that but oddly enough they wouldn't substantiate it. Wonder why :confused:

I don't owe you anything, but I already had taken shots of my 7970 when it first arrived: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665063 . I'm sure as hell not posting a receipt out, and a driver cap means nothing since it's just text on a desktop.

on top of that, a single 7970 can run multipplayer just fine @ 3150x1680 or 3600x1200 on a blend of high-ultra. Hard to believe that a 7950 can't keep it smooth @ 2560x1600... specially oc'd.

I smell trolllage

Define "just fine"? I already specified performance #'s and settings, because it doesn't run what I quantify as "just fine" as I already stated.

So, if this is mainstream card, that is supposedly take place of 560 Ti / 570 in 6xx series, does it mean, that in this year we will get some high end Kepler card?

So, if this is mainstream card, that is supposedly take place of 560 Ti / 570 in 6xx series, does it mean, that in this year we will get some high end Kepler card?
yes a much faster Kepler will come later. luckily for Nvidia, AMD did not set the bar very high so they can market what would have been a gtx660 as a gtx680. of course thats bad for consumers looking to get much more card for their money out out of this gen.

That is a gross oversimplification and borderline false. Sure, if you replace everything with like 4K textures and run uGrids=9 or 11, you might see that kind of usage.

Personally, I run with full 2K textures, uGrids = 7 and unless I crank AA to 8X, I can run just fine at 1080p max settings (including higher shadows/water ini tweaks) and 4x FSAA.

That's just my point. I am playing 9 ugrids 4k textures with2x aa and alot of other mods at 5760x1080. 2900 mb memory usage constant 60fps butter smooth

Define "just fine"? I already specified performance #'s and settings, because it doesn't run what I quantify as "just fine" as I already stated.

just fine meaning smooth and playable, without any real time spent in the "tweens" or "teens", in fact once I Forgot I had CFX disabled and couldn't tell I was running on 1 card until I hit some heavy action, and that was all on ultra with shadows on high FXAA on high and ssao. check out the hardocp review maybe?

out of curiosity, do you have a droid incredible ?

That's just my point. I am playing 9 ugrids 4k textures with2x aa and alot of other mods at 5760x1080. 2900 mb memory usage constant 60fps butter smooth

What you said is "Skyrim will suffer performance loss with 2 GB or less".

You left out "at 5760x1080 with 4K textures and uGrids = 9 and AA".

MY point was that it was a gross oversimplification and, depending on your setup, totally false.

Had a 7970 at launch.

It was noisy.

Returned it.

Bought a 7950 OC Gigabyte with the custom cooler

Have the 7950 now.

It's got driver issues.

Returning it once Kepler is closer.

The end.

Not reaching because its nothing to do with with me understanding English because that is really reaching in itself from the point which i would not of gotten a weaker card after the first for any reason

You're really reaching there.

Thank god SOMEONE understands English around here :).

Not reaching because its nothing to do with with me understanding English because that is really reaching in itself from the point which i would not of gotten a weaker card after the first for any reason because regardless of the issues the performance is first and foremost and if the first is not upto the job it does not matter that the other would be quieter because it would be even less upto the job and the driver issues would be about the same on both as they stand ATM.

Not reaching because its nothing to do with with me understanding English because that is really reaching in itself from the point which i would not of gotten a weaker card after the first for any reason because regardless of the issues the performance is first and foremost and if the first is not upto the job it does not matter that the other would be quieter because it would still not upto the job and the driver issues would be about the same on both as they stand ATM.

I've said it before, I returned the 7970 due to noise, driver issues, and price. The custom-cooled OC 7950 reduced the noise, but price still seems too high for the perf, and the driver issues are present. So, it's going back... in the meantime it's hanging around so I have something to use while I wait for Kepler :D. Figured I'd also give AMD a chance to work the drivers out, but they haven't. I don't get why you're asking questions that have already been answered :confused: ?

I've said it before, I returned the 7970 due to noise, driver issues, and price. The custom-cooled OC 7950 reduced the noise, but price still seems too high for the perf, and the driver issues are present. So, it's going back... in the meantime it's hanging around so I have something to use while I wait for Kepler :D. Figured I'd also give AMD a chance to work the drivers out, but they haven't. I don't get why you're asking questions that have already been answered :confused: ?

curious, what issues are u having with the single card? most people are only reporting multi-card issues.

and do you use a droid incredible ? :p

I've said it before, I returned the 7970 due to noise, driver issues, and price. The custom-cooled OC 7950 reduced the noise, but price still seems too high for the perf, and the driver issues are present. So, it's going back... in the meantime it's hanging around so I have something to use while I wait for Kepler :D. I don't get why you're asking questions that have already been answered :confused: ?

Because your not listening.
You state reasons of the first but then go ahead and do it all again the second time and even i without buying neither could of told you both would of had driver issues because why would the 7950 have any less and are bad value for the money.

Maybe your going to pick up a 78xx and come back and moan again.

Last edited:
Man if I was GoldenTiger I wouldn't verify crap for anybody. He doesn't owe any of you anything. He stated his performance and if I was him I wouldn't care if people believed me or not. "Don't believe me and go buy it and be disappointed in performance and I'll say I told you so" - that would be my answer to you all questioning him.

Like has been pointed out, it all depends on your definition of "fine." I think GoldenTiger and I are along the same page that 30-40 fps is NOT "fine." That's what we call barely playable. That's today. What about a more demanding game that comes out in the next 3 months? What about ANY game that comes out in 12 months? Not happening.

If I'm not thinking "man, this setup is so much over-kill I'll never use it all" the day I get it then it's not fast enough because in reality, you will use it all and you'l use it all much quicker than you think.

XS and... HERE from Kyle's postings in a thread you responded to several times before & afterwards (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038447903&postcount=437) and therefore obviously have seen? Why would you even be asking when you already know :confused:?

GK104 45-50% faster than GTX 580
vs.
Radeon 7970 15-20% faster than GTX 580

1.15x vs. 1.45x performance = 26% difference in absolute speed. Therefore, I am guesstimating a little below what the rumors are, for the GK104's speed. Basic math.

It's meant to be the mid-range, but AMD set the bar so low that GK104 will be able to compete handily with Tahiti (79xx). High-end Kepler (GK110/112) will come later.

This would make GK104 ~170% faster than it's predecessor, the GF104 at launch.

I can't help but think that this is highly unlikely.

I heard a rumor a while back, that Nvidia was going to launch a dual GPU board based on GK104 to compensate for the lack of the high end parts they were having trouble with.

If this rumored 680 launch is true, and the numbers are anywhere near where people are saying they are, my guess is that this 680 is the rumored dual GK104 board.

That would make more sense.

Man if I was GoldenTiger I wouldn't verify crap for anybody. He doesn't owe any of you anything. He stated his performance and if I was him I wouldn't care if people believed me or not. "Don't believe me and go buy it and be disappointed in performance and I'll say I told you so" - that would be my answer to you all questioning him.

Like has been pointed out, it all depends on your definition of "fine." I think GoldenTiger and I are along the same page that 30-40 fps is NOT "fine." That's what we call barely playable. That's today. What about a more demanding game that comes out in the next 3 months? What about ANY game that comes out in 12 months? Not happening.

If I'm not thinking "man, this setup is so much over-kill I'll never use it all" the day I get it then it's not fast enough because in reality, you will use it all and you'l use it all much quicker than you think.

It's usually cheaper in the long term to buy the best mid range card every year than to buy the best top end card every other year.

Nerd wars over scans of receipts is damn near epic. The better adjective is "sad" though.

Zarathustra[H];1038472540 said:
It's usually cheaper in the long term to buy the best mid range card every year than to buy the best top end card every other year.

That's probably very true for one screen. For three screens though mid range cards are out of the question, and really so is one big one. That's where this whole "is a single 7970 fast enough" discussion started.

I made the mistake last time of buying SLI GTX 570's, and I can tell you now that even had I purchased 580's, if I would have bought the 1.5 GB versions (which I would have because I didn't know any better), I would be screaming for more go right now. Three screens is an incredibly expensive game to get into. Much more than I realized when I started. It's also too damn cool to give up :D

Nerd wars over scans of receipts is damn near epic. The better adjective is "sad" though.

I'm 1337:er than all of you.

Got my GTX680 almost two months ago from a super secret Newegg sale :p

6965436241_206d99b3d3_b.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1038472538 said:
This would make GK104 ~170% faster than it's predecessor, the GF104 at launch.

I can't help but think that this is highly unlikely.

I heard a rumor a while back, that Nvidia was going to launch a dual GPU board based on GK104 to compensate for the lack of the high end parts they were having trouble with.

If this rumored 680 launch is true, and the numbers are anywhere near where people are saying they are, my guess is that this 680 is the rumored dual GK104 board.

That would make more sense.

But it being the dual card would imply that GK104 is 85% of the performance of the GF104, using your numbers. Which seems even more unlikely. I assume by GF104 you meant GTX 560? Maybe this card is better compared to the GTX 560 Ti 448.

Kyle said in the other thread he thought it would be faster than the 7970, but by an unknown amount. So perhaps the Kepler architecture is just as good as Nvidia implied earlier.

Back