GK104 = GTX 680 (confirmed), paper launching soon [SA]

10 percent faster. That is a common translation artifact, if you actually follow this stuff and read the linked article instead of running to post.
10% faster in just one game. So does that mean every other game is 20% slower?

I wonder if AMD have been holding off on the official drivers for the kepler release. The driver is released and the performance sky rockets

10% faster in just one game. So does that mean every other game is 20% slower?

I wonder if AMD have been holding off on the official drivers for the kepler release. The driver is released and the performance sky rockets

They just released a driver today. So far I haven't heard of any major performance increases.

And why would it be 10% faster in ONE game and nothing else? That doesn't really even make sense.

I didn't necessarily mean for you to go off on an AMD fan boy rant. I'll go out on a pretty sturdy limb and guess that the 600's will do surround vision on one card without issue. And if they can't, I couldn't care less. I will buy at least two Kepler cards, and maybe eventually a third down the road. Yea, AMD may be able to run Eyefinity on one card, but I promise you it's not good enough. I would never rely on one card to pump the kind of resolutions we're talking. It won't be fast enough. In today's nVidia terms, I would consider 3GB 580's in tri sli sufficient to run any game smooth at 5760x1080. Is your single 7970 faster than that? Didn't think so. Point being one card won't be enough anyways, so who cares if it can do it?

Just as you are obviously a huge AMD fan boy, I am an nVidia fan boy. AMD XXXX would have to be double the GTX XXX for me to even consider jumping out of Camp Green. So we're here, we just probably don't need to put down the other company to feel better about the one we support.

As far as this not being logical thinking and me not thinking with my dollar, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but in reality nVidia would have to roll out a pretty epic fail for me to switch. The drivers have always worked great for me and I've heard contrary about AMD's drivers, and the SLI support for the most part is very good which I've also heard contrary about AMD's crossfire. You mention being able to run Eyefinity on one card as a plus because sometimes you have to disable Crossfire and you can keep going. Well, I can honestly say I've never had to disable SLI, so I guess I keep going too. Also, as another poster mentioned, EVGA, the cards and the company, has just been too awesome to me over the years, and they don't sell Camp Red.

I don't dislike AMD at all nor will you find me bashing on them very often (unless someone wants to start bashing the companies I support), I just prefer Camp Green. We need both companies and competition for obvious reasons. If anything I wish AMD 7970 was better so nVidia had to roll out GK110 right away :D

I will have 2 680s in my computer before you. Fanboys are hated. I am no fanboy
Yes the 7970 is super powerful when oced high and can max all games but one in eyefinity on one card.

It sounds like the 680 is a card only for BF3 as they cannot say it is better in any other game.

It sounds like the 680 is a card only for BF3 as they cannot say it is better in any other game.

You really do jump to the worst possible conclusions regarding released info or rumors.

I'm guessing they mentioned BF3 because that's become *the* go-to game for benchmarking these days. When the card is released or when there is more information released we will see about other titles.

Yes the 7970 is super powerful when oced high and can max all games but one in eyefinity on one card.

Right. Sure.

Nvidia is saying nothing. It is a rumor about what rumors are available as far as bf3.

They just released a driver today. So far I haven't heard of any major performance increases.

And why would it be 10% faster in ONE game and nothing else? That doesn't really even make sense.

I think the idea is that typically, BF3 performs better on Nvidia cards, so if its only 10% faster there, it may fall behind a bit in other games. The 580 is typically a few percent behind the 7950 in most games, but it takes a lead of a few % in BF3.

I think the idea is that typically, BF3 performs better on Nvidia cards, so if its only 10% faster there, it may fall behind a bit in other games. The 580 is typically a few percent behind the 7950 in most games, but it takes a lead of a few % in BF3.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/517?vs=550

Kinda looks like they trade blows depending on the game and resolution (not just BF3 being faster, anyway).

But anyway, the point is there is absolutely no reason to assume that it's only faster in BF3.

The company I work for is getting a card for the paper launch and I will check it out. All I know is I get to play with them as soon as they our received in stock. I get to take mine home the night before release :D

The way it's meant to be played.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/04/just_cause_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121652
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/10/03/without-twimtbp-pc-gaming-would-be-dead/1

AMD does it as well, but there are certainly reasons why a particular game would run a particular title better than another. Performance in one game doesn't translate to the entire spectrum, otherwise we'd only use 1 game to review hardware :p

True, I'm not disagreeing that two cards can run some games better than each other, but saying that it's only going to run ONE game/application better I think is a little dubious at best.

Besides, BF3 is not a "TWIMTBP" title, sooo...

The new AMD drivers are the same crap pre cert drivers...obviously. They must have a driver that will optimize and boost performance

I was banned for insulting ppl like you

and it is not crap. ppl like you start rumors that the new cards will do 3 screens is false there is no proof

Yah I wouldn't hold my breath for single card Nvidia Surround personally. If Nvidia was going to have that feature I would think they would be shouting it from the rooftops. I hope they prove me wrong, because this is the reason I am getting the MSI 7970 Lightning this round instead of an Nvidia card. I do not want to be right on this one.

7970 overclocked plays BF3 at 6080x1200 all ultra, high FXAA in the 40s. More performance and less power than 2 6950s.

7970 overclocked plays BF3 at 6080x1200 all ultra, high FXAA in the 40s. More performance and less power than 2 6950s.

Errr... no. I had a 7970 oc'd to 1200 core running 2560x1600 (lower res than you're specifying, about 2/3 of it) and I couldn't maintain that with those settings with AA *OFF* (you're saying AA on since you specified ultra). 64player conquest would divebomb into the teens to twenties whenever explosions went off near me such as tanks, and my average was around 55-60 with much of the time spent during any action at 40fps or so (which is choppy). At another ~50% higher resolution... OUCH!

You are probably very correct in that you will have two in yours before me. I'll be buying the 4 GB EVGA Hydro Coppers which probably won't come out for 2-3 months after the initial release, assuming they follow suit and release them at all. I'd love to wait for the Classy's, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're more like a year away. I'm also not one to buy stuff fresh out of the fab because sometimes they have issues.

If the 7970 can max all games but one then it's not fast enough, and two cards will be required. It already can't max everything today. What will it be like in 12 months? One card is not enough for 3 monitors and probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

Errr... no. I had a 7970 oc'd to 1200 core running 2560x1600 (lower res than you're specifying, about 2/3 of it) and I couldn't maintain that with those settings with AA *OFF* (you're saying AA on since you specified ultra). 64player conquest would divebomb into the teens to twenties whenever explosions went off near me such as tanks, and my average was around 55-60 with much of the time spent during any action at 40fps or so (which is choppy). At another ~50% higher resolution... OUCH!

This isn't a flame or anything, but pics of your former 7970 or shens :cool: In the most respectful way possible, your post history indicates that you would never buy an AMD card. I'm skeptical. There's a couple of people at another board "claiming" to have 7970s to put more weight into their arguments, of course they can't provide proof and such. I'm just curious, prove me wrong :p

from 3x gtx580's to a single Kepler gpu? hmmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah, I don't think I'm believing that one offhand, not with the same settings/performance at least :p.

EDIT: It says MSAA vs. FXAA, but still, come on...

Last edited:
Yah I wouldn't hold my breath for single card Nvidia Surround personally. If Nvidia was going to have that feature I would think they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

First off, Nvidia hasn't even announced the 600 series yet so why would you here anything about single card Surround?
Second, Fermi wasn't designed with multi-monitor support. AMD surprised everyone with that when the 5000 series was released.
nV had to wait until they developed a new arch, Kepler, to make a single Surround card.

As the other member above me pointed out, nV will have single card Surround this gen.

This isn't a flame or anything, but pics of your former 7970 or shens :cool: In the most respectful way possible, your post history indicates that you would never buy an AMD card. I'm skeptical. There's a couple of people at another board "claiming" to have 7970s to put more weight into their arguments, of course they can't provide proof and such. I'm just curious, prove me wrong :p
silence tells us what we need to know :cool:

silence tells us what we need to know :cool:

I am running Tri-Crossfire 7970's all OC'd to 1500mhz ea, running on my 3 NEC 30" displays, but uh my camera dies, and can't provide pic's right now :p

Then I woke up

I have a feeling this thing is going to run hot and loud with no oc headroom due to that. If so I will return them and get another 7970

I have a feeling this thing is going to run hot and loud with no oc headroom due to that. If so I will return them and get another 7970

Nearly everything you say about the yet-to-be-released, don't-really-even-know-performance-numbers Kepler is negative. And you claim to be neutral? H'okay...

haha ya. I said all negative for the 7970 before it came but then it turned out to be good

Y U NO BE POSITIVE?

Y+_cce0d2a0490db5d29d0be1cb77edaa03.jpg

:p

I shall try to be more positive :)
I am excited about the new cards
all in all I think rumor threads breed fanboys. I don't understand why ppl get attached to corporations

I shall try to be more positive :)
I am excited about the new cards
all in all I think rumor threads breed fanboys. I don't understand why ppl get attached to corporations

People want teams, and they want their team to win all day every day all the time forever, to the extent they back winners they have nothing to do with (see: 90's chicago bulls national obsession). No more Jordan/wins, no more bulls merch everywhere.

People will vote for 1 party their entire life and be proud of it. My response is always "wow, good thing you live in a democracy eh?".

]

I have a 7950 OC'd currently and it isn't nearly enough to max out games for me at fluid framerates. It's going back shortly... I was tempted to keep it until I thought about how overpriced it is for what it provides, and that it just isn't fast enough for 2560 with no AA in BF3 64-player and other titles, let alone if I wanted to add any AA.

Make up your mind ;)

Dunno how good this info is. Ill post it anyway. If its FUD, then fud. :/

Link

The source is some german site (may need translation via google chrome etc). Rumors flying left, right and everywhere!

OH good grief this again. Just like nvidia set the bar low with GTX 480 which was 5-10% faster than 5870, cost 120$ more, and ran way hotter and louder. Not to mention it arrived 7 months later.

How convenient you forget these things :cool:

Not to mention the GTX 580 costing 170$ more than 6970 yet offered 10% more performance. Someone is going to say something about new node sizes and how nvidia offers CUDA or something, i'm expecting it ;)

Louder? If there was one thing Nvidia has over AMD/ATI, its the fact that Nvidia's cards are generally quieter.

From what I know some 480s where so hot the fan could not cool them properly so they wound up to over 80% and they were loud! Not to mention some were so hot they warped and or melted the thermal armor on the sabertooth mother boards

On a different note I just realized with my ugrids at 9 and all my mods in Skyrim I use over 2900mb of memory all the time in eyefinity. Are the 680s just 2 gigs? I heard there might be a 4 gig version down the line. Is this correct?

Back