Giving users SSH and FTP access?

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be co-locating a few servers soon (first time). Most will be for personal use but some I will be renting out for gameservers.

The servers themselves will be winxp pro (I'm a nix noob) and I probably will be administering them via remote desktop (radmin the only other option?). However, for the servers I will be renting out I need to give clients SSH and FTP access to their gameserver (incase they wanna install mods, restart it etc.) I was wondering how could I go about doing this?
Any other advice?

Thanks

Quite obviously you'll have to install an ssh and ftp server on the machine. SSH Windows has an easy to setup ssh server but the shell kinda sucks.

Thanks, I'll have a shot and sftp and see how it goes.

Work on sftp before you have that shot, after the first one the configuration files get a little blurry. :p

unhappy_mage said:
Work on sftp before you have that shot, after the first one the configuration files get a little blurry. :p
lol just read my post, I think I had a shot before I made it.

Whatsisname said:
the shell sucks ass though :(
Do you know of a better one? I don't really need "the best" but I want a decent one that isn't really hard to setup/maintain.

Look up cygwin. It has bash on win32, as well as a different (possibly easier) shell.

You could also turn on windows' (sucky) tab-completion.

Whatsisname said:
the shell sucks ass though :(
The only complaint I have with the shell is that it doesn't support the history/doskey feature.

And as far as tunneling and sftp it all works perfectly.

Zxcs said:
However, for the servers I will be renting out I need to give clients SSH and FTP access to their gameserver (incase they wanna install mods, restart it etc.)
I would recommend against it. There aren't that many mods to install, so you should do that yourself on request. And installing maps is often just a matter of putting them in the correct directory, so do that yourself as well. Just give them a place where they can upload maps that they want installed.

Icheb said:
I would recommend against it. There aren't that many mods to install, so you should do that yourself on request. And installing maps is often just a matter of putting them in the correct directory, so do that yourself as well. Just give them a place where they can upload maps that they want installed.
The main reason I'm doing it is just to sweeten up the deals, some other companies offer ssh and even though the majority of users don't use it, they like extras.

Back