Giving up on buying a new card

c3k

2[H]4U
Gents,

I've been poking into the current gen AMD 6000 series, hoping to pick up one or two...or three. Sigh.

No longer.

Instead, I'll spend my money on other hobbies and continue using the GPUs I have. Perhaps this fall the supply situation will ease.

Kinda frustrating that there are good designs out there, some actually reflected in hardware, but I cannot touch any of them. (Those that are touchable are at outrageous prices.)

Sigh.

Hope you find peace. I gave up on the profit driven upgrade chase game long ago. Have only bought one new card in the last five years. And last few months been playing games and hardware I bought 20 years ago. Plenty of fun titles to be had. Graphics do not supplant gameplay in my book. And I do not want a twelve button mouse either.

Gents,

I've been poking into the current gen AMD 6000 series, hoping to pick up one or two...or three. Sigh.

No longer.

Instead, I'll spend my money on other hobbies and continue using the GPUs I have. Perhaps this fall the supply situation will ease.

Kinda frustrating that there are good designs out there, some actually reflected in hardware, but I cannot touch any of them. (Those that are touchable are at outrageous prices.)

Sigh.
I was trying to purchase ANYTHING for months. In December 2020, found an RTX 3070 (Asus KO OC) at my local Microcenter for $582.99 including taxes. I thought to upgrade to a Radeon 6900 XT as soon as possible.
I was such a dreamer...
I installed a Bykski waterblock for the DUAL version from the Bykski Chinese site.
This 3070 is performing very well, even considering that I sold my 2080ti for $1K last year and that the 3070 is superior in every game by 30-50% at 4K.
Considering that now a 3070 costs $800-1000 (if you can find it), I feel that I have been incredibly lucky getting it when I got it.
SAD TIMES for a PC builder nerd...

Thankfully Best Buy is still doing MSRP Founders Editions and they have "known" drop times. Been able to snag two cards in the last month, its not that bad with a lot of tabs open.

Like I said in another thread, at this point my launch 2080ti FE is going to have to be lasting at least until 2022 at this rate. I gave up trying to get a 3080, and honestly, fuck 'em at this point. The 2080ti is playing most the stuff good enough anyways.

I was lucky enough to be in some PC groups and know people that had managed to grab a few cards. I got my reference 6900xt for 1180 shipped in late january. Managed to get a good number of them in the hands of the group members so that was cool as well.

Check out https://roguecast.com/
They drop cards every few weeks and I have seen them in stock for hours at a time, unlike other places. These guys are great for flash sales too on hardware.

Its a really crappy time to try and build or upgrade. Been looking out for a lot of people if I find anything so the search never ends and prices keep going up 🙃

I almost gave up, but I kept on trying, I figured out when Newegg typically had its drops and between the computer and my iPhone monitored what I was looking for, which was a AMD 6000 series. After a number of close buys I finally landed a XFX 6900 XT, typically Newegg drops new stock between 4-5pm PST.

I almost gave up, but I kept on trying, I figured out when Newegg typically had its drops and between the computer and my iPhone monitored what I was looking for, which was a AMD 6000 series. After a number of close buys I finally landed a XFX 6900 XT,
Hey kilroy ! Glad you found one! Thats awesome to hear man. Newegg has been a good place for many cards.

Best buy just did a drop at noon today ofc nvidia flavors but still possible grabs. I was testing out using the best buy app myself to add to cart when drops start and was successful. They dont have what I want but shows it can be done for others I know looking and using their phone.

I hope everyone who has been having trouble at least knew about the BB drop today. Got another buddy a 3070, wasn't too bad. As long as you're ready with your BB account all setup and logged in with tabs open for every card, you can usually snag one.

I hope everyone who has been having trouble at least knew about the BB drop today. Got another buddy a 3070, wasn't too bad. As long as you're ready with your BB account all setup and logged in with tabs open for every card, you can usually snag one.
Yep. They didnt have an Asus dual or KO so I Didnt buy any, but glad to see someone else was successful. They stayed in stock long enough 😁

I only tried to get the fe (3060ti/3070) cards today. I want a card for my kids, but didn't want new msrp (or almost insane prices), did not happen.

On the flip side... I got a ps5...

I managed to snag a 6900XT for $1299 on ebay a few days ago. Now just waiting for it to arrive.

I tried to get an RTX 3080 FE today from Best Buy, I was not successful. There's always next week though.

Yep me too OP. Fuck these high prices, the companies who list em and the people who pay it.

Yeah, not a remotely true statement. It's close, and it's a good value. But if you're gaming at 4k it's not going to cut it with 8GB of VRAM.
I do not know... I may do something wrong with the settings, but here my numbers
2080ti
SOTTR Zen2 New WTCLNG 2019 09-24-19 .jpg

and 3070
2021 01-02-21 SOTTR ITX.png

For whatever reason I could not get 4K with the 3070 unless with exclusive fullscreen OFF, but anyway here it is.
I see similar improvement with RDR2 and Control.
I am one of those "fools" to play games at 4K even if the frames do not reach at least 120FPS... I like how it looks an image at 4K in my 42.5" LG.
I hope I am not opening a can of worms, I DO NOT WANT to get on a framerate contest.
I just recognize that I can be fine even without the "bestest" hardware (not that I did not want the best out there, I just could not get it).
peace

...wait a second
I must do something wrong
I have Kombustor benchmark from my 3070
2021 01-01-21 Kombustor ITX (9).PNG

...and what is online for the 2080 ti
Kombustor from internet 2021-02-25 173522.jpg

All right, I have a card that costed half of the 2080ti with similar (a little inferior) performance.
I like it anyway!

ya was hoping to get a 5900x with my stimulating check but will now have to go 5800x and stuck with my 2070 for now oh well

Hope you get it... lots of those sellers have single digit feedback that scares the heck out of me.
He is a long time ebayer (same as me) and I have purchased from him multiple times on both ebay and offline through email once we had a relationship established about 15 years ago. He purchased my Vega FE cards from me back in 2018 for $1600 when I went to my 2080ti. This was a great deal. It's going to arrive tomorrow according to UPS. I am actually KEEPING my 2080ti for my spare machine. I've always sold my old cards to cover the costs of a new one. Not going to do that this time.

Hang in there OP, and never give in - had a dry spell of 31 days before I landed my first Ampere..GL, may the Gods card you soon.

Gents,

No longer.

Sigh.
I signed up for the 3060 ti waitlist 15 minutes after launched and just got my reservation 2 days ago. So roughly 3 months.

Well, here is the new 6900xt I scored for $1299. Arrived perfectly with no damage and packed very nicely.
NICE thats a heck of a deal/steal for 1299. the old cracked egg had them for 1399.99 a few weeks ago..man you scored big time

I am actually KEEPING my 2080ti for my spare machine. I've always sold my old cards to cover the costs of a new one. Not going to do that this time.
Same here. I'm getting hooked up with a Titan X Pascal for a great price shipped, but I don't want to be SOL if it should break, especially with this GPU shortage.

Got the card installed, working great in every game except battlefield v. This is what it looks like. When in windowed mode, looks fine. Full screen...garbage. I deleted the settings from the docs folder, didn’t change. HDR on or off...same. No HDR options in windowed or borderless mode.

N/M: I reset the graphics in the AMD drivers and that fixed it. I'm gonna have to play with the driver settings and see what causes that.

Last edited:
Got the card installed, working great in every game except battlefield v. This is what it looks like. When in windowed mode, looks fine. Full screen...garbage. I deleted the settings from the docs folder, didn’t change. HDR on or off...same. No HDR options in windowed or borderless mode.
Your pics are confusing, the one which say windowed in the settings is the one that looks like garbage.

Thankfully Best Buy is still doing MSRP Founders Editions and they have "known" drop times. Been able to snag two cards in the last month, its not that bad with a lot of tabs open.
i wish you would give more info about this drop times thing

i wish you would give more info about this drop times thing
If your interested Newegg is 4-5pm PST, and it's 5 days a week, anytime in the evening one or more can pop up for sale. Newegg also runs a shuffle program on random hard to get items where you win a chance to buy certain hardware, could be a Nvidia or AMD card, or a AMD CPU.

I was really wanting a taste of Zen 3 more then the 6800 XT for now .. I still have a flashed RX 5700 ref that runs with - in 5% of the XT .. so the 3060 RTX was not an upgrade of anything really in the $350 range

Back