Give Me your High VRAM Capacity Eating Game Suggestions

Brent_Justice

Greetings, hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I very much value the input from our [H] gamers out there.

Please give me your feedback on a game or games (recent games, also GPU demanding) that in your experience eat up large amounts of VRAM at 1440p or 4K due to their settings provided in the game, with no additional mods, and no up scaling resolution.

Please provide run-through and usage scenerios where this might occur in the game as well.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Dying light.. Max all setting at 1440 and your basicly at 4gb.

Obviously at 4k res you'll be well over. Don't habe a 4k monitor to test bit so I've heard as they stated they had to lower settings to either high or medium.

Ryse, Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, and Daylight all certainly need over 3gb of vram at 1440 to run properly on max in game settings. Even at 1080 those games can eat over 3gb.

Also there's a review on hard that shows VRAM usage at different res..
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1854819

Come on man.The OP asking the question is the guy that done the review.

He is asking for games that use high amounts of VRAM .Most likely to add to his Titan X review coming up.

I only run 1920 x 1080 and the only game that has ever passed 4GB ram for me is Shadows of Mordor. Without any mods,DSR/VSR.

Haha... well at least he will be happy I pointed to his review! :)

Hard to read names on a forum on the phone.. even on a note 4 the text is small on here.

Oh and I'll have to check of som as I've played it maxed out at 1440 and didn't notice any probs. Gona test that late tonight and see what's doing.

Goat simulator with all the mods.

But seriously, I've heared Shadow Of Mordor is the most VRAM hogging game out right now. You could always go the old hat of Skyrim with 8K texture mods.

I always though back in the day graphics card drivers would not allow more then the ram it had to be used? So like if u had 4gb the game just would not utilize more then 4 no matter what settings you used.. is thst just not true? So now games will just crash or stutter trying?

DA:I got up to 5.6GB for me on a Titan at only 1080p with max settings and SSAO on. I actually had problems because I tried to run it on a 290 at that setting and it would crash with an out of memory error.

Not sure if alphas count but Star Citizen uses over 4GB at 1440p.

Ass creed unity uses 4.6gb at 1080p and will max a Titan out at 1440p

I'm not sure if you consider super sampling to be the same as resolution upscaling. If not, then Call of Duty Advanced Warfare only gets 9 FPS, with 16x super sampling on a Titan Black.

Guru3D had the GPU memory usage on a GTX 980 at 3805 @1920x1080 and 4066 at 3840x2160 resolution.
On the Titan Black the memory usage was 5408 @1920x1080 and 5647 at 3840x2160.
Super sampling used the entire 6 GB of memory on the Titan Black.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you consider super sampling to be the same as resolution upscaling. If not, then Call of Duty Advanced Warfare only gets 9 FPS, with 16x super sampling on a Titan Black.

16x super sampling!? I assume you are talking about 1080p supersampling, which means the width of the fully sampled frame would be nearing 32,000 pixels wide, and the height would be OVER 16,000 pixels. I'm pretty sure no video card available will be pushing that sort of resolution voluntarily.

16x...

Christ...

My vote is Shadows of Mordor.

Brent - would you consider games using mods to achieve your goal? I ask because people have mentioned how Skyrim with their ultra textures mod's are pretty intense on the hardware. Might be worth giving it a shot.

16x super sampling!? I assume you are talking about 1080p supersampling, which means the width of the fully sampled frame would be nearing 32,000 pixels wide, and the height would be OVER 16,000 pixels. I'm pretty sure no video card available will be pushing that sort of resolution voluntarily.

16x...

Christ...

You are correct. I don't thing there is a PC on the planet that could give you a playable experience with max settings and 16x super sampling. Even quad SLI Titan Xs probably couldn't handle 16x super sampling at 1920x1080 and 2xMSAA.

Shadow of Mordor, Star Citizens current hanger release and DA: Inquisition.

AC: Unity and Blackflag both will hit 4 GB @ 4k with no AA. Watchdogs will as well.

Crysis 3, Metro 2033/Last Light Redux, Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor used up 4GB at 4K with the highest AA available, which of course, Crysis 3 and Metro was unplayable.

After some play time, including zoning, with or without changing characters, I can end up with Elder Scrolls Online, at over 3.5gb in the frame buffer.

I have a couple of mods, none affect the rendering in any way. I do have all in game options, including aa/af at max.

I play at 5760*1080 which is between the two resolutions your requested.

I will say not every game session hits the 3.5+, but often enough.

I am basing this on the windows resource monitor and the Logitech ARX software running on my Ipad while I play.

If you need more info please ask.

Oh and, in terms of demanding on my GPU, The Secret World. Though it does not eat the Vram like ESO does.

i would enjoy an explanation of how windows resource monitor checks vram usage? i thought only afterburner and or possibly gpu-z could give these numbers?

i would enjoy an explanation of how windows resource monitor checks vram usage? i thought only afterburner and or possibly gpu-z could give these numbers?

I might have my tools mixed up -- I was looking at a few of them.

I was also, at the time, looking at CPU usage, and system ram useage.

I do also have cpuz and a few other of the standard tools.

-edit-

I also found a tool called CAM, seems to have all the basics covered.

Other than what has been provided, I have nothing in the realm of new or recent games to add. What I humbly request is to provide VRAM usage prior to running the game being benchmarked then subtracting that amount from the overall usage.

Shadow of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen, AC Unity, Dying Light, Evolve, COD AW (with SSAA) should easily use 4GB at 1440p.

Last edited:
Crysis 3, Metro 2033/Last Light Redux, Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor used up 4GB at 4K with the highest AA available, which of course, Crysis 3 and Metro was unplayable.

Does make a person wonder just how much vram Crysis 3 would use at max 4k settings. lol how long that game been out? I be a bit surprised if they make a single card that could play that game and manage 60fps. I suspect op started this thread as been suggested, ideas for up coming gpu reviews? I wonder what cards brent is currently testing:D

Wow, 16x supersampling in COD:AW? Is that unique? If HardOCP has never looked at that game before as a benchmark game, they might have to reconsider just for the ability to go to 30720x17280 for 1080p and 61440x34560 for 4K.

DA:I got up to 5.6GB for me on a Titan at only 1080p with max settings and SSAO on. I actually had problems because I tried to run it on a 290 at that setting and it would crash with an out of memory error.

That may be caused by the game dumping the files into system RAM instead of VRAM, and subsequently system crashing due to all of system RAM being totally hogged up.

There were a few people on the 970 refund saying that on 970, having 8GB RAM the game stutters like hell, with 16GB RAM the stutters were mostly gone, even at maxed settings. But then there was 1 saying that 12GB RAM didn't improve things.

I still haven't got DA:I at the moment so I am just copy pasting things I have read on Hardforums.

Back