Give me a straight answer: Which is better?

Which is better?

• 9800GTX

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • HD4850

Votes: 57 75.0%

• Total voters

adamvk

Limp Gawd
Which video card would be better for gaming with higher resolutions?

9800GTX or HD4850

I think its still a bit too early to make this call. Most of the reviews I've seen have been rushed and/or canned. I'd wait for some actually in game fraps tests before making the call.

HD 4850, especially with AA/AF (Dang, it's weird saying an ATI card is better with AA/AF :p)

I'd take the HD4850, close call though, but for a few reasons in no particular order:
1. Single 6-pin connector (less heat, less power).
2. Seems to handle AA/AF better.
3. Cheaper at the moment (Rebates, etc).
4. Single-slot cooler.
5. CrossFire boards (P35) are really common; most people can XFire easily these days.
6. 55nm; Newer tech (least important)

You probably should have included a "We don't know yet" option, and I would have voted that choice but posted these reasons anyway. It is indeed to soon to know, but hopefully the trend from the early reviews will continue...

The lower cost 9800GTX+ is around the corner and will probably make a more interesting comparison.

It will be around the same price as the HD 4850, use the same newer 55nm manufacturing process and come clocked higher than the old 9800GTX.

At this moment though, if you play at 1920x1200, the 4850 looks like the better card vs the old 9800GTX. Price really isn't a factor though since you can get a 9800GTX for $199 (no rebate either). http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008348

And right now newegg has the 4850 for only $178.

...and I just bought mine yesterday for $149.99. :cool:

As for which is better, I think the 4850 has more potential (due to improving drivers) but it is still too early to tell.

Alright mister guy, time for the million dollar question: Where did you find it for $149.99?

Alright mister guy, time for the million dollar question: Where did you find it for $149.99?

I bought my 4850 at bestbuy for $150. No joke. I went in the store looking for a video capture card (ATI TV Wonder 650) and I saw the 4850 on sale for $149.99 (it said the original price was $199.99). I thought to myself "this can't be right - but that's what the sign says!" I took it up to the front and had to reconfirm the price with 3 different employees to make sure the price was right (damn straight the price was right!).

They sold it to me for $150. I told my friend to go down and get one due to the insanely low price tag. He went there an hour after I left and told me the price was back to $199.99.

I may have been one of the few in North America to have gotten such a great deal! :cool:

I'll take a pic of the reciept as proof!

EDIT:

He got a 5-finger discount.

Then he got caught, and had to pay a $149.99 fine.

LOL :D

If I had to pay, the fine would be in my sig, not the card!

That BB deal was a huge YMMV. I stopped by one on the way home yesterday and no dice because: 1) the sign was never up or was taken down already and 2) they had no 4850s in stock yet anyways. :p

That BB deal was a huge YMMV. I stopped by one on the way home yesterday and no dice because: 1) the sign was never up or was taken down already and 2) they had no 4850s in stock yet anyways. :p

YMMV? What's that?

The fact that they even HAD them in stock suprised me. I wasn't planning on upgrading my gfx card at all, but seeing a card of its power at only $150 was too much of a deal to let slide. :cool:

I think the 4850 will be better as there is more room for driver improvement and things like DX 10.1 may come into play (already does if you playing AC pre-patch. But to be honest either would not be bad...

I'd wait for reviews to be out to fully make my judgement.

However, if you HAD to buy a card today without reviews, i'd go with the HD4850.

Its looks like from looking at the reviews that the 4850 is better than the 9800GTX. But I really like Nvidia. Hmmm. Maybe I will flip a coin. :)

Hard to give a straight answer when we don't have any real results. (read as: [H] reviews)

Which video card would be better for gaming with higher resolutions?

9800GTX or HD4850

they are about even you would have to look hard to find a difference id imagine they trade blows back and forth but... id go with a 9800gtx call me a fanboy i dont care :p nvidia makes bad-ass shit nowadays (even though the company is ran by idiots lol) but...the 4850 does have its advantages ie : directx 10.1 support mostly (even tho it dont matter yet)..the 9800gtx makes up for it in hardware Physx and upcoming technologies such as video conversion , and dont forget it seems to kick ATIs ass at F@H clients too... ;) hope that helps...

they are about even you would have to look hard to find a difference id imagine they trade blows back and forth but... id go with a 9800gtx call me a fanboy i dont care :p nvidia makes bad-ass shit nowadays (even though the company is ran by idiots lol) but...the 4850 does have its advantages ie : directx 10.1 support mostly (even tho it dont matter yet)..the 9800gtx makes up for it in hardware Physx and upcoming technologies such as video conversion , and dont forget it seems to kick ATIs ass at F@H clients too... ;) hope that helps...

Actually the HD4850 has superior HD video playback compared to NVIDIA cards, making these the most ideal for an HTPC. The AVIVO UVD2 allows two HD video streams to be run or one HD, one SD, and one HD audio streams to be run; all this with almost all of the load taken off of the CPU.

NVIDIA cards cannot do that, though they still take quite a bit of the load off.

Also, AMD cards have a built-in 7.1 soundcard with digital out which can run through the HDMI cable without extra wires going to or from the video card.

When running the Physix on one card, it slows it down immensly. Though it can be done, it is more ideal to have one GPU work for the graphics and have a second (not connected through SLI) do the Physix calculations.

The lower cost 9800GTX+ is around the corner and will probably make a more interesting comparison.

It will be around the same price as the HD 4850, use the same newer 55nm manufacturing process and come clocked higher than the old 9800GTX.

At this moment though, if you play at 1920x1200, the 4850 looks like the better card vs the old 9800GTX. Price really isn't a factor though since you can get a 9800GTX for $199 (no rebate either). http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008348

I bet the lower manufacturing process leads to heavy overclocks as well.

Both are valid options (if the 9800GTX is around $200) but the 4850 is a little bit better because
1) Inferior power requirement
2) Better performance with AA/AF
3) Single slot
4) Crossfire on Intel boards

It is good to see ATI back in the game. Really good indeed.

when u can get a 4850 for $149.99 from best buy with the 25% off all visiontek cards i would go with the 4850.

Back