GIMPS and my fried GTX 560 Ti

plext0r

[H]ard DCOTM x3
I think I fried my GTX 560 Ti 448-Core card. A home windoze 7 box running MISFIT to manage the GIMPS work units crashed last week and I just had time to diagnose. The system would no longer power up at all. I swapped out the video card for a piece-of-crap GT 420 and it booted right up. I re-inserted the 560 Ti in various PCIe-16 slots and the system would not power up.

I had the clock running undervolted to keep fan noise down. Maybe I ran it too low for two long. I believe it was running at .9V and the clock was reduced to 700MHz. This allows the card to produce about 330-350 GHz/d on GIMPS and it ran fine for 3-4 weeks. Finally it gave up the ghost. :(

I have a GTX 580, but it won't fit in this Antec case so this PC is no longer doing GIMPS.

On another note, I've also had lots of problems with the submit_spider Perl script on my Linux GIMPS hosts not properly submitting the results. Lots of chatter on mersenneforum.org points to a server backend issue (the server is Windows + IIS, yuck!).

A salute to another lost piece of hardware on the crunching battlefield. I would look for a short at the power socket on the card, usually no boot like you described is a power shorting problem. I have seen it more than once on various battle weary GPU's. :(

Hmm, Maybe you can create a samba share directory and run mfakt* from it and and another instance of misfit on windows managing that directory?

Hmm, Maybe you can create a samba share directory and run mfakt* from it and and another instance of misfit on windows managing that directory?

I was thinking along those lines. Let a MISFIT Windows instance manage my GIMPS Linux clients. :)

Back