Gimped 6800gt?

Aku12

Gawd
Hey a buddy of mine is upgrading his video card and asked me what to get in the $250 range.

I immediatly thought x800XL but i guess the AGP version is kind of rare and drives it into the $300's, and if he is going that high i told him to just get a 6800gt.

well he sent me this link today while i was away
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121177

saying he could get one for $230 shipped. I noticed the memory speed is 300mhz slower than the other 6800gt's. but everything else seems up to par. Should he get this card or just go with the 6800nu for $189?

thanks-

Yep, that's the raped version of the 6800GT by Asus. Only half the ram and it's DDR350 lol. I would much rather get a full X800XL than a dumbed down GT. However, the full GT would be a better choice. That said, it is better than a 6800 Vanilla, it does have 16 pipes.

that's not even a 6800gt, asus tried to trick people by putting in ddr memory rather than gddr3, it's basically a 6800nu with the pipes unlocked.

darkhorse said:
it's basically a 6800nu with the pipes unlocked.
Which is a total ripoff, and the reason why I will never purchase an ASUS card for any of my builds. Tell him to get a "real" gt ;)

from what i could dig up off the internet, its a 6800gt chip on a 6800 pcb, but still has the 16 pipes and the same clock speed.

but the cheapest i found a AGP X800XL was 289.. when he can get a full blown 6800gt for about 10 bucks cheaper than that. But this 6800gt happens to be inside his $250 budget. And he wants to stay new from a site like newegg than go rummage through the fs/ft forums.

so i guess its broken down to 4 options:

6800gt full version for just under $300 (probaby have to beg his dad or wait a few months.. )
X800pro for $230
6800gt gimped for $230
6800nu for $190

what would you do?

Tell him to beg and scream. The 6800GT is practically top of the line 6 series and can max out any game besides BF2. It's a great card and almost everyone here would recommend it. No doubt you can OC to Ultra speeds as well. It's a good long term investment unless he changes vid cards more often than clothes.

neubspeed said:
Tell him to beg and scream. The 6800GT is practically top of the line 6 series and can max out any game besides BF2. It's a great card and almost everyone here would recommend it. No doubt you can OC to Ultra speeds as well. It's a good long term investment unless he changes vid cards more often than clothes.

funny you mention that game, it is the reason he is upgrading.

and he is upgrading from a FX5500... so he doesnt upgrade his video cards but every couple years, or when he needs to, in order to play the new game.

saturnine2 said:
Which is a total ripoff, and the reason why I will never purchase an ASUS card for any of my builds. Tell him to get a "real" gt ;)
It's not a rip off when it's a lot cheaper than the 6800 GT but marginally cheaper than 6800 NU. If is was the same price as the 6800 GT then it'd be a rip off, but it's not.

kick@ss said:
It's not a rip off when it's a lot cheaper than the 6800 GT but marginally cheaper than 6800 NU. If is was the same price as the 6800 GT then it'd be a rip off, but it's not.
But they still call it a 6800GT. Newbies dont know the difference between this one and a real 6800GT.

saturnine2 said:
But they still call it a 6800GT. Newbies dont know the difference between this one and a real 6800GT.
That's their fault for not being an informed buyer.

kick@ss said:
That's their fault for not being an informed buyer.

agreed, the more i think about the more im just going to tell him its up to him

want it now? get the gimped, want it next month, get the gt... or i guess he could get the gt now and salivate over it tell he saved the money up to buy bf2...

If money is a big issue for him now, tell him to buy the 6800 vanilla (eVGA version) and use step-up to get the GT later. Read up on it www.evga.com

Back