Gillian Anderson Up For Being The Next James Bond

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A female Bond may actually not be a bad idea, but that might just be the X-Files fan in me talking.

Actor Daniel Craig has inhabited the character of James Bond for four films, but has hinted he might leave the role. That means speculation is running rampant about who could step into the superspy's shiny shoes. Names like Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston have floated around, but one of the wilder ideas is to cast Anderson of "X-Files" fame as the next superspy. Anderson is on Tumblr under the name Chewie's Girlfriend (a reference to Chewbacca from Star Wars). She recently answered a series of questions on the platform, one of which was "What's the best rumour you've ever heard about yourself?" Her answer: "That I might be the next Bond."

I just don't see it. IMO I don't think she's a bond type. You need someone that plays the part of kicking ass and looks the part really well. And she's not it.

I agree. I have no problems with a female "Bond" but it has to be the right type.

As anyone who actually read the books knows, if they stay true to character, she would be a hard drinking,/fuck*ng/killing machine. Yet another attempt by a Hollywood that thinks replacing a character with a minority (Annie) or a female (Ghostbusters) is a "fresh" idea....they need to stop and find someone with the charisma of Connery for these films....this is jumping the shark for sure...remember, if it ain't broke...

I'm all for gender equality, but doesn't standing on the shoulders of men defeat the purpose? James Bond is a male character, I'm certainly not going to boycott the thing and it won't make me think negatively towards the franchise, I just find the thought process strange.

More original female heroins, please. Gillian Anderson was great in The Fall. Jennifer Lawrence in Hunger Games, pretty much every strong character in Game of Thrones at this point. We don't need to be re-purposing characters made famous by men.

And when she has a fling with a male side character called Harry Dick Anballs, will we, the helpless men, be able to cry from the rooftops.........???.......wait what is the opposite of misogyny?

Also do these people not realize that Bond IS a sexualized figure? Do you think Pierce Brosnan was chosen by chance? Do you think Daniel Craig was chosen by chance? No, they were chosen because they are very appealing to look at. Because they have sex appeal. The movie marginalized men.....but we were cool with that. Are women ok with that?

I can't find any sense of danger or excitement from an action movie when I know that the main character (who is the focal point of the entire movie) is "franchised," so I always find the Bond movies terribly boring. I don't think I've been able to watch any of them all the way to the end. If "James Bond 007" was turned into a job position instead of a person, they might be able to put some real stakes in there.

As for Gillian Anderson, I think she has the same kind of steely look as Daniel Craig, at least in that picture.

Yeah, saw this the other day.

As much as I am a Gillan fan myself, I do not see it happening.

Dumbest... idea... evar... until hollywierd tries it's next attempt at being inclusive instead of just making good movies..

If "James Bond 007" was turned into a job position instead of a person, they might be able to put some real stakes in there.
this is how I always thought they could explain the change in actors. "Bond" is the code name for one of their top agents. then anybody could be "Bond" and if one "Bond" is killed or compromised name a new "Bond".

Gillian Anderson, 15 years ago would have made a good James Bond. It's the same problem with Idris Elba. Sick actor, too damn old to play the part.

Sean Connery was 53 in Never Say Never Again, and that was basically a spoof about an aging James Bond. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

You're all just pissed that you couldn't be a Bond Boy on your best day.

Last edited:
eh, fuck james bond. I would love to see her as a agent, but a new one. bond as written was a high functioning drunk

Sean Connery was 53 in Never Say Never Again, and that was basically a spoof about an aging James Bond. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

You know you want it....

zardoz_2421582b.jpg

I don't get it.

This is James Bond, not The Doctor. It's supposed to be the same person the entire time, if he blows himself up with his wristwatch, he doesn't just regenerate as another actor. The fact that his face changes every few movies is just intentionally ignored for the sake of cinema. However, his maleness is very much a part of his character (the dashing womanizer), so they are going to need one heck of a back-story to explain why "he" is suddenly a woman.

The only way this would work is if Anderson is either:

A) Playing James Bond's daughter, but she's a bit old for that, or
B) Playing an alternate-dimension reboot of James Bond. A seductress spy with Bond-level action and gadgets could work, but again, shes too old for that.

But this is Hollywood, so get Micheal Bay involved and it will still sell, even if it sucks and doesn't make any sense. (or maybe they could pull a Tron and digitally alter her face to look like she is 25, or look like she is a man)

She ain't British enuff because that would meant she's a Chicago-bred British agent. That doesn't sound good right off the tongue.

Next!

At 47 years old and 5'3" tall Gillian can't play a plausible ass kicker of any sort, let alone Bond.

You need at least Gina Carano's physical presence to be take seriously as an ass kicker and she's not Bond material either.

Idris Elba could pull it off. He is only 43, and has serious physical presence. Watch Luther if you haven't.

I'm all for gender equality, but doesn't standing on the shoulders of men defeat the purpose? James Bond is a male character, I'm certainly not going to boycott the thing and it won't make me think negatively towards the franchise, I just find the thought process strange.
Yes, it does. James Bond is one of the most established characters in cinema history. Want an impressive female spy? Fine, make a new movie or reboot La Femme Nikita or something. What, Hollywood is so stupid now it's choking on its own ineptitude? Oh, okay.

Remember, 007 is a designation, not a specific person.

That being said though, I wouldn't like to see a female bond. Even if it was Gillian Anderson. I think she would play a good Money Penny though. Maybe she could join Bond on missions?

I don't get it.

This is James Bond, not The Doctor. It's supposed to be the same person the entire time, if he blows himself up with his wristwatch, he doesn't just regenerate as another actor.

That's because 007 is a designation. MI6 can assign anyone the to bee 007 (Bond). As long as they meet certain qualifications :)

Although it would be a little strange to assign a female with 007. 0013 would be more fitting.

Last edited:
The best part of this thread is all the people talking about this like "Hollywood" is actually serious about it in any way, or like it is even vaguely real. RTFA folks. It is well established in the linked article that Gillian was asked what was the best rumor she had heard about herself and SHE mentioned this rumor, then jokingly perpetuated it with a fake promotional image. It is not even vaguely real or serious folks. Learn to read please.

Works for me. She's a fine actress, and I think she would do well. Also, Idris Elba would be a good choice.

The Bond thing could use a good stir. Just don't shake it.

The best part of this thread is all the people talking about this like "Hollywood" is actually serious about it in any way, or like it is even vaguely real. RTFA folks. It is well established in the linked article that Gillian was asked what was the best rumor she had heard about herself and SHE mentioned this rumor, then jokingly perpetuated it with a fake promotional image. It is not even vaguely real or serious folks. Learn to read please.

Wait, so you mean it's like lesbian lover scenario in Frozen 2???

well no shit. thanks for clearing that up.

Also, how did Idris Elba get brought up in here?

That is actually not an attractive woman. Those are not even British teeth.
idris_elba-440856.jpg

Also, how did Idris Elba get brought up in here?

That is actually not an attractive woman. Those are not even British teeth.
idris_elba-440856.jpg

He was rumored to be the next bond a while ago. He seems like he would do well. A female bond wouldn't make sense, but I don't think anyone was being serious about that anyways.

She's just too old for the role, honestly. Good actress but, that's not what being Bond is really all about. ;)

We don't need a "Jane Bond" to be honest and anyone pushing this so-called agenda to take all the male leads in adventure tales from years past really needs to find something better to do.

I remember a quote from Gloria Steinem years ago that went something like this: she was headed to work someplace one day and outside the place she worked at their were a ton of "feminists" blocking the entrance picketing for some reason or another. One of the picketers stepped in front of her and screamed "We demand equal rights with men!!!" and Ms. Steinem asked her something like "So, you'll be happy if you get equal rights, complete equality with men, right?" and the girl responded with "YES!!! WE DESERVE IT, WE DEMAND IT, WE WANT IT!!!"

Gloria just laughed at the girl and it really pissed the picketer off as she screamed back "WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING ABOUT?"

Gloria said "Honey, if all you want out of life is to be the equal of some man, you really need to find something better to protest about..." and pushed the girl aside and strode right through all of 'em without a care in the world.

She shoots, she scores! :D

Dumbest... idea... evar... until hollywierd tries it's next attempt at being inclusive instead of just making good movies..
You clearly didn't hear of Female Thor. At least they seem to be going with Jane Bonds with this... maybe.

Kate Beckinsale looks so different than in underworld, didn't even recognize her.

I would laugh my ass off, if they made it so the character is literally someone James Bond fucked in one of his movies, and just decided to take his name.

Back