Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H LGA 1150 Motherboard Review @ [H]

Interesting, still waiting to see when Gigabyte has the F8 final on their board, probably months away.

As for an old post I did about the onboard sound in this thread I dug this up from another review and it's spot on.

"The GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5H didn’t present any issues producing pretty decent quality but the ALC898 codec doesn’t seem to have the volume even with the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 emulation software.

In the end, all the boards create volume levels that won’t make ears bleed but will more than suffice."

Course if you have a dedicated card this won't be an issue.

Has Gigabyte updated anything to fix any of the issues mentioned in the HF review or any other issues yet? Anybody heard any news on this? Will they come out with a rev. 2?

Has Gigabyte updated anything to fix any of the issues mentioned in the HF review or any other issues yet? Anybody heard any news on this? Will they come out with a rev. 2?

I honestly don't know. Once we are done with an article we generally move onto working with other motherboards. I'm usually one or two reviews ahead of the articles you are actually reading. Rarely do we track issues past the initial article. We sometimes get responses after GIGABYTE, MSI, etc. read the articles giving us fixes etc. Though we often ask them about these problems as they go. Sometimes they get back to us and sometimes they don't. If the answer is on either side of the article's publishing by about a week or so then we try and share that information on the forums at least. Most motherboards don't give us significant enough issues for this to happen and when they do we often don't get timely responses on the matter.

When the response was timely you read about it in the article or right here on the forum, usually on the first page of the forum and the last one of the article.

Does anyone know if the Marvell 88SE9230 sata controller on the Z87-UD5H board can handle both an optical drive and a data drive connected at the same time? I read that the Marvell 88SE9172 controller on the UD4H version cannot. Maybe someone here has tried connecting an optical and data drive to the UD5H Marvell sata controller?

Before anyone tells me to just use the native Intel sata controller, those ports will be filled. So I would like to hang a bluray drive and a slower platter drive on the Marvell controller, if that combo will work. Thanks for any info.

The Marvell controller's aren't ATAPI compatible. They do not handle optical drives at all.

Another question. If a x1 PCIe card is installed into the third x16 sized PCI-e slot on the Z87X-UD5H, would that cause the primary first x16 slot to change from 16 to 8 lanes? It is unclear to me reading the documentation, if only a x4 (or larger) sized card placed into the third slot would cause this behavior, or if any card (even an x1 card) placed into the third slot would cause the first slot to drop from 16 to 8 lanes.

Another question. If a x1 PCIe card is installed into the third x16 sized PCI-e slot on the Z87X-UD5H, would that cause the primary first x16 slot to change from 16 to 8 lanes? It is unclear to me reading the documentation, if only a x4 (or larger) sized card placed into the third slot would cause this behavior, or if any card (even an x1 card) placed into the third slot would cause the first slot to drop from 16 to 8 lanes.

Any card will cause that to happen. There is a finite amount of PCI-Express lanes. Installing cards into other slots on boards without PLX chips cause the primary slot to run at x8 speeds.

Any card will cause that to happen. There is a finite amount of PCI-Express lanes. Installing cards into other slots on boards without PLX chips cause the primary slot to run at x8 speeds.

I didn't realize that. So you are saying for example, if I were to install a card into any of the little x1 PCIe slots on the board, that would cause my graphics card to drop from 16 to 8 lanes?

I didn't realize that. So you are saying for example, if I were to install a card into any of the little x1 PCIe slots on the board, that would cause my graphics card to drop from 16 to 8 lanes?

Ok, I did some quick research on the topic. While the 3 full size x16 PCIe sockets cannibalize each other in terms of the available 16 lanes, the small x1 sized sockets can be run off the PCH chipset. For this reason, it seems like you can have a graphics card using all 16 lanes in the primary x16 slot, even when you have cards also installed in the small x1 slots. Because apparently those x1 slots do not cannibalize lanes from the primary x16 sized slot. You only run into the cannibalization when you start plugging cards into those other two full sized x16 slots. Maybe someone agrees or disagrees with this assessment - but it is what I gleaned doing some quick reading on the web.

New F8 bios out but all it states is it supports 4th generation Intel processors.
Haswell is 4th generation so what exactly does it add?

The beta just noted Celeron support so I guess that's it.

Planning on buying this board for a new build. I want to have 2x 770s in SLI and use my old 460 for physx in the 3rd pciex slot. I also have a Xonar D2X sound card which is pciex1. Will having the 460 in the last slot disable ALL the other pciex1 slots?

I'm rather fond of the xonar and would love to keep it if possible but it seems just as much of a shame not to put that old 460 to use.

It does not appear this can be done.

The first things to note are the lane allocations – we have a similar layout to Panther Point (Ivy Bridge) for 1x16, 2x8 or 1x8+2x4

SLI would basically consume all of the available lanes.

Now you could get one powerful card and skip SLI and add your old 460 for phyx even though most would say it's not a game changer now
but you would still not be able to use your sound card.

BTW there is a F9 beta out which will be a final eventually, appears to add some stability and more memory compatibility.

After some testing I decided to skip the 460 and keep my sound card. It just sounds better to me than the mobo solution. Or at least sounds different. So I'm keeping the 770's in SLI. The framerate difference is minimal anyway. Like 2-5fps loss which varies between runs anyway (using arkham city as a bench).
So basically I have my sound as I like it and practically the same framerate but using far less power.

This new pc runs so much nicer than my old one.

My 460 will retire to my moms new pc (back to what is left of my old build) :D

Thanks for the info :)

Rebooting an older thread because I have finally figured out what the deal is with my DVD-ROM not showing up in bios as a boot option, random BSOD's and port resets.

It would appear that the Marvell 88SE9230 if set up with a VD cannot have a single drive also attached even though it has 4 ports, it just messes stuff up so that must be the limitation.

I found this out first when I clicked on the single drive and the light on my DVD-ROM started flashing and found it odd.
I tried to burn a DVD but it would not finalize and the DVD-ROM locked up and would not eject the disk nor would it through windows.
This caused my computer to become unresponsive and I had to hard shutdown.

At first I only had port resets to Marvell port 1 which had nothing attached, then I started getting Intel resets on raidport 0.

Alas I unplugged the single drive and my DVD-ROM now shows up as the first boot as it originally did, computer is even snappier then usual.
Upon restart windows installed a driver for the Marvell so it's now recognized as SCSI VD, I don't remember what it was before but it was not that.

Windows drive index also went up from 5.9 to 6.1.

So anybody that has this board, your choice is 0, 1 or 10 and that's it, no other single drive or DVD-ROM or it will give you issues.
Course if you do not create any raid VD all 4 ports *should* be available.

Back