Gigabyte Z77-UD5H, when will it be usable?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So i am slowly buying parts for a Z77 3770K build. So far i have my case, SSD and RAM. I am waiting for the i7-3770K to get back in stock and on sale at Tigerdirect, and for the LZP-1000 PSU to go back on sale.

However, the motherboard i want is theL GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545 )

It is perfect, in terms of price and ports and everything about it. However it seems a LOT of people are having major issues with its bios. It seems to be buggy as hell and causing reboots both in OS and in the bios. I see on a few other forums with threads about this mobo that Gigabyte is releasing new bios pretty often that are slowly fixing problems or something like that.

So i am curious if it would be moronic for me to buy this motherboard soonish. I obviously dont want to experience all these problems, but at the same time there is no motherboard at this price that has all the features i want like the UD5H does. How long do you think it will take for Gigabyte to fix these issues?

Any advice/tips/recommendations from UD5H owners? How do you feel the bios updates are coming along?

(I dont want to wait too long to buy the mobo, cause i want to put my RAM and SSD to use so i can make sure in my 30day window they are working how they are supposed to work.)

3-18-2012 UPDATE:

Just ordered the motherboard (UD5H) and 3770K. Will update my experience with the board when i get it and its up and running.

What do you guys think should be first on my list? Lets say i have just built the new rig and am about to turn it on for the first time....do i start off installing windows 7? Or update the bios?

I hear a lot "dont use the included driver CD that came with the mobo, they are old drivers, D/L the newest drivers from the mobo website." Can i (on a diff PC) D/L the newest drivers and put them on a USB thumb drive, plug that into the new rig, drag all the driver downloads onto the desktop and install them all? Or is there a better way?

3-27-2012 UPDATE:
I got the board and built the new rig, and everything is going silky smooth. Not a issue.

I do have a few questions though:

1) I just plugged in two SATA hard drives that were in my old rig, into the marvell sata ports. And apparently they are "Hot swap" ports as well, because in windows the "Safely eject hardware...etc" shows both hard drives as ejectable. Is there a option to turn this off so they are normal like my other hard drives?

2) I have F7 bios running perfectly smooth on my UD5H, but i was curious am i supposed to never touch my "backup BIOS"? Are you supposed to always leave them alone? Or if you find a stable perfect BIOS update (like F7 for me) should i boot into my backup bios and update them as well?

3) Whats your guys opinion on update bios when your on one thats working perfectly for you? With Gigabyte's UFEI BIOS being new and buggy for lots of people, Gigabyte is updating their BIOS every 3 weeks, so soon F8 and soon F9 (etc) will come out..should i update when they come out?

4) Does Gigabyte not have a Fan-control utility at all? All my fans are plugged into the motherboard so i was hoping to be able to control them.

Last edited:
It IS usable. More often than not you will only ever hear the bad things about a part because people rarely speak up when it's working properly and things are uneventful.

Ive been using this board a while and it always worked and was usable lol.

running 3770k @ 4.5 and ddr3 2000 9-9-9-24 1T on this mobo without a hitch in anything.

It IS usable. More often than not you will only ever hear the bad things about a part because people rarely speak up when it's working properly and things are uneventful.

No i totally get that, and i use that logic with other people. But it really seems the UD5H is more than just a loud small minority. It has huge threads on other forums like overclockers. Granted if people like Rattle have no issues...then something is odd about the whole situation because if the bios are buggy as hell...why are some users like Rattle having no problems at all? Does it imply that its not the bios but its the specific board you get (ie if you had issues and returned it, maybe the next one wont have issues?) or are guys like Rattle just lucky?

No i totally get that, and i use that logic with other people. But it really seems the UD5H is more than just a loud small minority. It has huge threads on other forums like overclockers. Granted if people like Rattle have no issues...then something is odd about the whole situation because if the bios are buggy as hell...why are some users like Rattle having no problems at all? Does it imply that its not the bios but its the specific board you get (ie if you had issues and returned it, maybe the next one wont have issues?) or are guys like Rattle just lucky?

I think because it is a super popular board and the more who buy it many more users out there, so higher chance of seeing someone post something.

Mine has been rock solid stable for 2+ weeks now, no complaints at all.

I think because it is a super popular board and the more who buy it many more users out there, so higher chance of seeing someone post something.

Mine has been rock solid stable for 2+ weeks now, no complaints at all.

Well im really glad to hear that about your board, and i agree it sure seems to be one of the top 3 more popular Z77 boards (along with Asus Sabertooth and Asus Pro/Deluxe). I hope the people having issues get bios revisions that fix their issues and i hope the board i get has no issues at all.

I can also attest to mine being hassle free with the exception of a few rear panel USB shenanigans. Zero instability with a 2500k (granted, the majority of the issues appear to be IB related).

I had problems with this board. Would often hang or crash during installs and OS. Everything was stock. Maybe the samsung ram i bought had compatibility issues with it

I ended up getting a MSI GD65 Z77 board and everything is running smooth so far.

It is perfectly usable. The UEFI that Gigabyte has isn't on par with ASUS or even ASRock, but it does work.

I had problems with this board. Would often hang or crash during installs and OS. Everything was stock. Maybe the samsung ram i bought had compatibility issues with it

I ended up getting a MSI GD65 Z77 board and everything is running smooth so far.

Hopefully it wasnt the Samsung RAM but i was recommended multiple times and bought Samsung RAM ( SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3/US ).

Hopefully it wasnt the Samsung RAM but i was recommended multiple times and bought Samsung RAM ( SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3/US ).

Thats the same one i got. If you do end up getting ud5h, let us know how it works out

I tried that ram as well as the muskjin blackline 1600. The stalling issue happened with both.

IIRC it had some issues with DDR3 1600 RAM.
Lol and i bought 1600 DDR3 RAM...fantastic.

Thats the same one i got. If you do end up getting ud5h, let us know how it works out

Dang. Well the issue is i dont see any other board with the same specs in the same price range, so even with its possible up coming issues...i am 99% sure i will take the risk and get it. I will definitely report back my experience with the board when i build my new rig.

LOl @ these posts

I'm using dd3 1600 memory on this mobo, i came from an asus z68 and I am nothing but impressed with the uefi on this mobo.

LOl @ these posts

I'm using dd3 1600 memory on this mobo, i came from an asus z68 and I am nothing but impressed with the uefi on this mobo.

Though i wouldnt laugh at people having issues and your not, i am glad to hear that your rig is running perfectly fine and has a 3770K, Samsung 30nm DDR3 (1600) and the UD5H.

I'm in the same boat here. I'm looking to put together a new IB build and am between the Gigabyte UD5H and the MSI Z77A-GD65. Was going to go with the UD5H at first, but upon reading about all of the problems I'm having second thoughts.

I'm using the UD5H without a single issue with my 2600k @ 4.5ghz and that same Samsung RAM. Are the issues isolated to IB CPUs?

I dont use linX or intel burn test and you guys should not either, it has been proven to degrade/kill cpu's
and is not even close to reliable when it comes to stability

using newest prime95 with AVX and all ram i have 11.5 hour run at 4.5ghz

IMHO I think gigabyte has either a quality control issue, buggy bios or a combination of the two.

I dont use linX or intel burn test and you guys should not either, it has been proven to degrade/kill cpu's
and is not even close to reliable when it comes to stability

using newest prime95 with AVX and all ram i have 11.5 hour run at 4.5ghz

Maybe if you ran it over day and days but an unstable system will fail the test within 2-3 minutes of running if it is infact unstable. prime95 could take hours or days to yeild that result.

In fact if you were doing any sort of scientific computing, what these programs are doing is pretty much the same.

Gigabyte has been failing pretty badly for some time now. Last I knew of it was boot loops, which is what caused me to buy Asus for my last board. Before that I had run GB for a long time. They should scale down their product line to bring quality assurance back up in the short term.

stupid udh3 likes to make my keyboard stop working at random untill i restart my PC, worst motherboard ever

a fucking keyboard, the most fundamental part of the computer and gigabyte cant be assed getting that right and its not my drivers cause it likes to play this game in the bios at random!

fuck you, asus next time

Just a heads up, I noticed in your sig you have an unlocked 6950 card. I too have a similar card (Sapphire instead of XFX), and there is an issue with the gigabyte z77 board working with these unlocked cards. If in the unlocked mode the computer will fail to post, and give a few beep codes. If you flip the switch to the other bios (standard 6950) card will boot fine. I found a thread on Toms Hardware where others are seeing the same thing, we're all hoping for a gigabyte bios fix, altho F9 did not work on my UD3H board.

I have no experience with bios updates in regards to companies actually coming through and fixing problems, to anyone with more experience on that subject than me, do they?
For example i know other PC components seem to have good customer support when something doesnt work right, like say a SSD is buggy the company will release a new firmware, or GPU's driver updates...sometimes it takes a while but the companies (AMD/NVIDIA) really seem to know what issues are plagueing their customers and try to fix them.
So what about motherboard bios updates? Gigabyte specifically. Is pretty much everyone in agreement that most likely all these issues will eventually get fixed with bios updates?

(Thank you djjaeger82, thankfully i will be seeing that rig in my sig to my brother so i will be using a GTS-250 until the current gen GPU's get back in stock and prices get adjusted accordingly, and then i will buy a 680 or 670 or 7970 or 7950.)

This motherboard shipped with F4 bios, so far we have had more bios updates than I can even remember... typically they do betas like this f4a, f4b, f4c etc then when it's finalized they release it as F4.

We have F7 final now and F8 is in 3rd of 4th revision already.... both asus and gigabyte put out bios updates almost daily lol. I would visit xtreme systems if you want up to the minute info and bios updates for these giga z77 mobos.

BTW my gskill ddr3 1600 kit also works, boots and overclocks fine on UD5H. For you guys having KB issues in bios, MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE BIOS. early bios like f4 had issues.

This motherboard shipped with F4 bios, so far we have had more bios updates than I can even remember... typically they do betas like this f4a, f4b, f4c etc then when it's finalized they release it as F4.

We have F7 final now and F8 is in 3rd of 4th revision already.... both asus and gigabyte put out bios updates almost daily lol. I would visit xtreme systems if you want up to the minute info and bios updates for these giga z77 mobos.

BTW my gskill ddr3 1600 kit also works, boots and overclocks fine on UD5H. For you guys having KB issues in bios, MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE BIOS. early bios like f4 had issues.

I have tried f4, f7 and even f8. It seemed like with every bios update, it got worse. Maybe i just had a bad motherboard. But i really wanted this board to work since to me UD5H non wifi model had the best features to price ratio going on.

Also why can't these mfc put more effort and make a good fan control app like the asus did?

Do you think each revision has fixed something? Obviously that is good news, sounds like they know their bios are buggy and acknowledge everyones problems and are trying to fix them as fast as possible. Thing is, this board is so perfect in terms of exactly what i want at the price i want, and no other board is identical to it (some come close, like that MSI board mentioned earlier), so i am okay with the idea of buying the mobo and if it has bugs, i can endure until they are fixed...as long as i know they will be. Then people like SWATx comment and it worries me lol. I dont want to hear about "gets worse every bios update" i want to hear it gets better! lol.

Yeah i have be taught first thing you do when using a new mobo in a new rig is install all the latest bios right away, heck doesnt everyone say skip the included CD and download all the newest from their website?

I have tried f4, f7 and even f8. It seemed like with every bios update, it got worse. Maybe i just had a bad motherboard. But i really wanted this board to work since to me UD5H non wifi model had the best features to price ratio going on.

Also why can't these mfc put more effort and make a good fan control app like the asus did?

I can control fan right from the bios actually, My H100 is completely controlled by it.

Maybe you have a bum board, happens.

I can control fan right from the bios actually, My H100 is completely controlled by it.

Maybe you have a bum board, happens.

Gigabyte doesn't have near the granularity with their fan controls ASUS does on their Z77 boards. At least none that I've seen.

On F8 now, tried to get into the bios for the last 8 attempts to try for F9 but wont recognize my keyboard, one day ill get into the bios and try F9

one day.... :rolleyes:

keyboards man, you need a rocket scientist for that job

Gigabyte doesn't have near the granularity with their fan controls ASUS does on their Z77 boards. At least none that I've seen.

which means what? they dont go up and down as good :rolleyes:

which means what? they dont go up and down as good :rolleyes:

Controlling each header independently, via voltage or PWM (you can mix 3 and 4-pin fans) and setting fan curves for each header independently is possible on the Asus Z77 series, my understand is on GB you cannot do that (3/4 pin mix).

Controlling each header independently, via voltage or PWM (you can mix 3 and 4-pin fans) and setting fan curves for each header independently is possible on the Asus Z77 series, my understand is on GB you cannot do that (3/4 pin mix).

Actually, you can setup fan curves with the Gigabyte easytune. But the UI is no where as functional or pretty as the Asus provided software with its motherboards.

Actually, you can setup fan curves with the Gigabyte easytune. But the UI is no where as functional or pretty as the Asus provided software with its motherboards.

On ASUS's P8Z77 series you can do that in the UEFI. The software also lets you rename fan headers and even view information concerning the fans possible RPM ranges.

I've had a relatively easy time with this board thus far, but I finally found something to harp on: Seems the front headphone jack flat out dies coming out of sleep. No matter how I configure the Realtek HD Audio Manager, I have to restart the system to get sound out of the front jack (following sleep). It still recognizes that something is plugged into the jack, and Windows shows that the output is producing sound ... but the headphones are silent.

Meh.

Just ordered the motherboard (UD5H) and 3770K. Will update my experience with the board when i get it and its up and running.

What do you guys think should be first on my list? Lets say i have just built the new rig and am about to turn it on for the first time....do i start off installing windows 7? Or update the bios?

I hear a lot "dont use the included driver CD that came with the mobo, they are old drivers, D/L the newest drivers from the mobo website." Can i (on a diff PC) D/L the newest drivers and put them on a USB thumb drive, plug that into the new rig, drag all the driver downloads onto the desktop and install them all? Or is there a better way?

Last edited:
Update the bios first in this case. since the board is so new it's best to see if there are any updates before installing windows.
Downloading the latest drivers from gigabyte's website for the board on another computer and tossing 'em on a thumb drive is a smart idea. Use the USB 2.0 ports for the thumb drive transfer. as they are likely the most stable until drivers/updated bios are loaded.

Back