Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P - Overclocking

Since updating the bios to F7e which updates the ME firmware on the chipset, I no longer have cold boot issues and haven't for sometime.

My issue is fixed :)

Since updating the bios to F7e which updates the ME firmware on the chipset, I no longer have cold boot issues and haven't for sometime.

My issue is fixed :)
Hello,
My configuration is quite like yours (except for the memory, I've G.Skill X, and the cooler ) but I cannot reach 4.5GHz.
I've done 4.4GHz @1.320V (BIOS). Passing the Intel Burn Test raises the voltage to 1.392 (max) 1.356-1.1380 (average). I think they are not very good scores ... what do you think?
Thanks for the guide!
Regards from Spain,
O.

Last edited:
Hello!

My name is Paco and I am from Spain. This week I bought the following setup:

- Core i7 2600k
- Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
- G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 16GB 4x4GB CL9 1.35V

I was used to overclock older C2D/C2Q systems, and Sandy Bridge is being difficult for me.

At this moment, I am running the processor @ 4.6Ghz 1.35v HT ON using the offset mode (vcore set to normal and applying +0,020v). It's prime-stable and I can run VeryHigh Intel burn test several times with a maximum temperature of 77ºC. I think this processor is not a gem... too much vcore for this speed...

The memory controller is configured on Turbo mode. Will "Standard" let me run higher OCs on the processor?

I'll upload some captures from Bios in a minutes... (hope to help somebody with OC issues...)

Regards from Spain
Paco

Last edited:
You probably won't see much of a difference changing the memory mode to standard. I found that I had to throw a ton more voltage at my 2600k to go past 4.6Ghz. Honestly 1.35 is pretty low. In order to get to 4.8Ghz mine required 1.42 which is pretty much the highest you'd ever want to go and of course requires good cooling. 77c doesn't seem too bad depending on what you are using to cool your CPU.

I have nearly the same mobo -- just not the P and my understanding of the memory controller setting (turbo, normal and something else right?) is that this impacts the timings of your RAM and if you use XMP you should use the normal setting as it already is using the optimal timings.

Thank for your replies!

I am using a Thermalright HR-02 Macho cooler. Before trying these settings I tried to overclock using constant Vcore, but I prefer the offset mode to cool down when browsing and working. It's idling at 1.6ghz 0.89v with very low temps (32-34ºC)

I tried to OC to 4.7 1.38v right now, but it's not primestable (0x00000101 bsod after 15 minutes).

4.6Ghz is enough for me at this moment, as I have plent of power for photo and video editing (2560x1440). I am thinking in ivy bridge for next christmas :D:D

Rgds!

A friend just got the same setup as mine (but with a 2500k processor) and is having the same issues to go over 4.5Ghz. Maybe the mobo is limiting our OCs...

Currently I am using the new F7 bios, but no OC improvement with it.

Which is the higher OC you got with this mobo? Maybe I will use a friend's asus mobo to OC my processor to find out what's happening...

2600K Batch is L148C290

Rgds!

Last edited:
It does seem like the reset button can cause the boot loop. My boot loop occurred due to the reset being used...will never use that button again.

Last edited:
It does seem like the reset button can cause the boot loop. My boot loop occurred due to the reset being used...will never use that button again.

+1

I solved it by switching off the AC switch on my PS while it was trying to boot. I also did a clear CMOS before, but the boot loop was still there...

Rgds

Yeah, saw this on tweaktowns gigabyte forum

"Yes, please avoid the reset button. You don't ever need to use it, I don't even have one connected on any boards, I only use the power button or in in windows reset/shutdown. Do you have both BIOSes matching on that board, just checking?

To avoid these issues, please disconnect your reset wire, then you'll be good to go and even if tempted to use it you wont be able to!

Power on issue doesn't have anything to do with reset button, they did try to fix that in the past and mentioned it in their change logs as reset issue, so they only meant power up and boot loop issues at startup (Not dealing with reset, although they do say that's fixed, but you know how that goes) "

Had to tag this, I will print out what you did when my board comes in. Every combo is a little different but thanks for a good starting point OP.

Back