FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GIGABYTE Z170X Designare LGA1151 Motherboard Review - GIGABYTE has continually impressed us with its offerings as of late. GIGABYTE’s Z170X Designare is poised to continue that trend and add another motherboard to the budding Designare legacy. We are still not fully sure of what exactly "Designare" actually is, but at this point, we see it as GIGABYTE building a solid new brand.

I really like the different takes and look over on these motherboard reviews. Seems to be a coherent team approach that nails down the +'s and -'s well. Great review!

Can't have enough dual nic onboard. It actually saved me on a old asus board. One port failed and the other one worked til the board died. Lasted 6 years. This is a nice board. I also like the boxes it has checked. Will keep an eye on it. Price is still a factor.

Last edited:
Doest it support proper VT-D (VGA passthrough) ?

Is there a non flashy version comparable? I am looking for the same bios controls, stability and OC ability. I can do without the lighting, extra NIC/ports etc. Maybe the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3

Is there a non flashy version comparable? I am looking for the same bios controls, stability and OC ability. I can do without the lighting, extra NIC/ports etc. Maybe the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3

I think you're looking for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming. Same bios controls and mostly same connectivity, just one network port and no RGB LEDs, and £35 cheaper.

probably the first board I seen with dual and complete USB-C support (including 100w output)

I've looked at a few boards and decided this is the one I'm getting if I get a 6700K, it has great reviews everywhere. The only thing currently putting me off getting a 7700K and a Z270 board instead is being afraid to buy such a new motherboard that could end up having issues, then again this one's pretty new too isn't it.

I've looked at a few boards and decided this is the one I'm getting if I get a 6700K, it has great reviews everywhere. The only thing currently putting me off getting a 7700K and a Z270 board instead is being afraid to buy such a new motherboard that could end up having issues, then again this one's pretty new too isn't it.
Yes, i think this would work fine with the 7700K. It has great features. I will go for it.

Why is this board in such short supply? It's a shame as it seems like a great board, in spite of the silly LED lighting.

How does it compare to the UD5 in terms of overall build quality and component selection? -- ignoring the more obvious differences gleaned from marketing bullets such as the inclusion of Thunderbolt 3 and so forth.

Why is this board in such short supply? It's a shame as it seems like a great board, in spite of the silly LED lighting.

How does it compare to the UD5 in terms of overall build quality and component selection? -- ignoring the more obvious differences gleaned from marketing bullets such as the inclusion of Thunderbolt 3 and so forth.

It feels like its built better. The Z170X Designare actually feels like one of the best built Z170 motherboards on the market.

No Z270 version :(

Also as far as I can see so far there is no mention of 100W USB C on any of these new Aorus boards. I'm guessing some of them have it but it's not mentioned in the feature list like it was for the Designare.

No Z270 version :(

Also as far as I can see so far there is no mention of 100W USB C on any of these new Aorus boards. I'm guessing some of them have it but it's not mentioned in the feature list like it was for the Designare.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things regarding specifications that are kept ambiguous by manufacturers. They never have given good reasons for this. I can sometimes ask the manufacturers and get more concrete information but are not always forthcoming with answers.

How is it running?

After a few months of running this board i can say its running great! No issues although i do not over clock very much seems to be working fine. A lot of people been complaining about the higher memory running at the right speeds has not been an issue for me atm but I am running latest bios etc. I would recommend the board as an alternative to there gaming 7 that has lot of audio issues which was one of the reasons I decided to go with the Designare. Personally i like the LEDS

Back