Gigabyte Z170 - no adaptive Vcore?

rastaban

Gawd
I don't get it...my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH only has Auto and manual modes for Vcore. There is no adaptive or offset.

When manual Vcore is selected, the inputted value overrides all power saving functions when idle. I have all the C-states and EIST enabled. Clockspeeds do drop when idle but Vcore sticks around the manually set value.

When Vcore is set to Auto, voltage does drop when idle and under light loads. This means Auto Vcore is the only Vcore option for daily overclocks. However, even for a mild 4.4GHz OC on my sub-par 6700K, Vcore jumps to 1.392V and sometimes spikes over 1.40V in CPU-Z. (LLC is set to High)

And then there's LLC. Auto, Standard, and High are the only options. As far as I can tell from my testing, Auto = Standard = Vdroop. So High LLC basically means "LLC on." The LLC itself is incredibly aggressive, which I guess is a good thing for stability, but I've gotten 4.4GHz stable at manual 1.35V, so the Auto Vcore working in conjunction with LLC at 1.39V+ is less than ideal.

Is this typical of Gigabyte OC features? I posted a couple other threads about my gripes with the board recently as it's my first Gigabyte board and I am deeply unimpressed.

Last edited:
So it doesn't bother anyone that Gigabyte has no adaptive Vcore for Skylake?

I see this as a major flaw, and it's not mentioned in reviews, HardOCP included. Oversight or sponsorship reasons?

No offset? That can't be right on a UD5 board? Maybe look for reviews that have detailed BIOS/UEFI walkthroughs?

No offset? That can't be right on a UD5 board? Maybe look for reviews that have detailed BIOS/UEFI walkthroughs?

EDIT: Thank you for this. I refused to believe that Vcore was so inflexible on this board and found that "Normal" mode Vcore (aka offset in Gigabyte speak) is available when hitting + on the Vcore mode....I must have missed it because I've only tried hitting "-" on it before. My mistake. Just did a quick test and Vcore appears dynamic now. Faith has been restored!

Last edited:
There is no way this is normal. 4.4GHz on Auto Vcore, high LLC......only 25 minutes into P95 Blend test (was testing new 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 kit)
EDIT: offset mode is working now

YtsSbfo.png

Last edited:
There is no way this is normal. 4.4GHz on Auto Vcore, high LLC......only 25 minutes into P95 Blend test (was testing new 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 kit)
EDIT: offset mode is working now

YtsSbfo.png

What mode did you settle on? I'm having this issue as well. It sounds like Normal is Offset, Manual is inserting the value you want, and Auto is adaptive, which sounds like it's way too aggressive.

I found a stable overclock in offset mode with LLC on High and it passes street tests fine but I crashed when trying to run 3dMark and GTA. I think it's not getting enough voltage when it's not being stressed to the max? For some reason my offset mode was Normal, and then under Dynamic Voltage I had it at like -.095 or something. I'm not home now so I can't confirm these values. But like I said, stable SMALL fft (?) in Prime with temps getting to around 82-83 but crashing in 3dmark.

I did find that early this morning I set it back to LLC off and raised my offset voltage a bit and it passed 3dmark fine. Didn't have time to try Prime though. These voltage settings for Gigabyte really do kind of suck. I read a review on this board and they said Gigabyte has the worst implementation of voltage settings.

What mode did you settle on? I'm having this issue as well. It sounds like Normal is Offset, Manual is inserting the value you want, and Auto is adaptive, which sounds like it's way too aggressive.

I found a stable overclock in offset mode with LLC on High and it passes street tests fine but I crashed when trying to run 3dMark and GTA. I think it's not getting enough voltage when it's not being stressed to the max? For some reason my offset mode was Normal, and then under Dynamic Voltage I had it at like -.095 or something. I'm not home now so I can't confirm these values. But like I said, stable SMALL fft (?) in Prime with temps getting to around 82-83 but crashing in 3dmark.

I did find that early this morning I set it back to LLC off and raised my offset voltage a bit and it passed 3dmark fine. Didn't have time to try Prime though. These voltage settings for Gigabyte really do kind of suck. I read a review on this board and they said Gigabyte has the worst implementation of voltage settings.

I settled on 45 CPU multi, Auto LLC with an offset of +.040. It peaked at 90C on p95 and threw an error at about an hour.
My chip sample is obviously pretty poor, 4.6GHz is out of the question. But I run these "unstable" settings at 4.5GHz for daily use since Handbrake is normally my most intensive operation and it seems to be stable and peaks at 74C.

Back