Gigabyte X99 Mobo Confusion

Hi Guys,

I have a client who wants me to build him a high end PC for production.

I am looking at using an X99 with 5820K.

I've been looking at Gigabyte mobos, the plan is to use a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive and then two 3TB HDD in RAID1 for data storage.

However, all of Gigabytes spec sheets state this:

Chipset:
1 x M.2 PCIe connector
(Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x2/x1 SSD support)
1 x SATA Express connector
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5)
Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* Only AHCI mode is supported when an M.2 PCIe SSD or a SATA Express device is installed.
(M2_10G, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed in the M2_10G connector.)

If I am reading this right, you can not enable RAID at all if you have a PCIe M.2 SSD. Am I correct in this? Anyone have any experience with this?

If this is the case, what mainboard do you guys recommend that can do RAID1 on HDDs via SATA alongside an M.2 PCIe SSD? That seems like a really backwards ass limitation too if you ask me.

That is puzzling, you would think especially with a PCI M.2 that it would be separate from the sata controller and therefore wouldn't effect raid capabilities, but I know little about these things.

Maybe look at a workstation board. The Asus WS is pretty expensive but the ASUS X99-M WS is reasonably priced with lots of nice features if mATX doesn't bother you. Also the X99 Sabertooth has been described as a very stable workstation class board.

Hi Guys,

I have a client who wants me to build him a high end PC for production.

I am looking at using an X99 with 5820K.

I've been looking at Gigabyte mobos, the plan is to use a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive and then two 3TB HDD in RAID1 for data storage.

However, all of Gigabytes spec sheets state this:

Chipset:
1 x M.2 PCIe connector
(Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x2/x1 SSD support)
1 x SATA Express connector
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5)
Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* Only AHCI mode is supported when an M.2 PCIe SSD or a SATA Express device is installed.
(M2_10G, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed in the M2_10G connector.)

If I am reading this right, you can not enable RAID at all if you have a PCIe M.2 SSD. Am I correct in this? Anyone have any experience with this?

If this is the case, what mainboard do you guys recommend that can do RAID1 on HDDs via SATA alongside an M.2 PCIe SSD? That seems like a really backwards ass limitation too if you ask me.

Hello, try this one X99 SOC Champion.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5280#sp

Back