Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

Milehigh

Limp Gawd
Since this is a newer motherboard and all new motherboards have quirks, I think a dedicated thread would be helpful for current or potential owners. Please post here with your thoughts on this new mobo...

I'll kick things off, I've just installed mine and after a somewhat frustrating start I'm up and running (for many reason not necessarily motherboard related). Some things I've noticed worth a mention, for one, the memory test only shows up on occasion during post, along with the CPU id. At other times, neither shows up, only the BIOS version #. Along with this, I had issues recognizing all 6 gigs of tri-channel memory and am currently running 2 gig until I get all the OS installed along with updates.

Another thing I've seen that is probably fixable with a BIOS update is the CPU multiplier, even though I select 20x as the multiplier in the tweaking menu, it displays 21x on the POST screen... I've even had it randomly reset to 15x on one occasion.

At any rate, all things that are minor and should be fixed with BIOS updates, of which there is currently only one update at this point due to how new this board is... can anyone else comment on their UD3R?

Coil whine with this board
This board has considerable coil whine with certain power supplies. I suspect that it is a combination of specific high frequency harmonics present in some power supplies that resonate with the coils on the motherboard. Not all power supplies do this. I will try to compile reports of whine with this board in this post. Note that disabling the power states (e.g. C1E) in the BIOS resolves the whine for some people but it does raise the idle power draw. It also goes away for some people when they overvolt. YMMV.

I will try to compile a list from this thread. I may get bored of doing so. I'm still putting people under "reported whine" if they say C1E or other workarounds fix it for them, though I may note that. If I've got your info down wrong, privmsg me, but please do not privmsg me to add you to the list. I will update it when I feel like it until I get bored of doing so.

Reported whine
Seasonic S12-600HT - Dansolo - Rev 1.0 (disabling C1E doesn't help)
Antec Earthwatts EA430 - Dansolo - Rev 1.0 (disabling C1E doesn't help)
Corsair 750TX - SlithereenSlardar - Rev 2.0
Corsair HX750 - SlithereenSlardar - Rev 2.0 (goes away with C1E, C3/C6/C7 disabled)
Antec Truepower New 550W - ToddW2 - Rev 1.0
Antec Truepower New 650W - sephiroth99 - Rev 1.0
Seasonic X650 - 4x4not - Rev 1.0
Corsair 850TX - Sparktz - Rev 1.0
? - Primus - Rev 1.0
Seasonic S12+ 650W - madmax187 - Rev 2.0
Corsair HX1000 - Frenchc - Rev 1.0
PCP&C Silencer 750 - E4g1e - Rev 1.0
Corsair 750TX - dizolit - Rev 1.0 (goes away with C1E disabled)
Corsair TX750W - kobabuta - Rev 1.0
Corsair TX750W - kobabuta - Rev 2.0
Corsair 750TX(?) - Cancerkiller - Rev 1.0
Corsair HX620 - chiggah - Rev 2.0 (goes away with C1E disabled)
SeaSonic X650 Gold - Trigemenal - Rev 1.0 (goes away with C1E disabled)

Reported fine
OCZ Z550 - Dansolo - Rev 1.0
Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 850W - EliteComputerBuilds - Rev 1.0
Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 1000W - EliteComputerBuilds - Rev 1.0
Antec CP-850 - ToddW2 - Rev 1.0 & 2.0
Antec Truepower Blue 750W - craziplaya21 - Rev 1.0
Silverstone ST75F-P - depraved (C1E disabled, untested enabled) - Rev 1.0
Corsair HX750 - Soujiro - Rev 1.0
Seasonic X650 - rogercomley - Rev 1.0
PC Power & Cooling 510w SLI - kortik - Rev 1.0
Corsair 620W (model?) - Milehigh - Rev 1.0
Antec CP-850 - GetFunk01 - Rev 1.0
PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad (Seasonic) - shansoft - Rev 1.0

Last edited:
An update, I did apply the new Monday BIOS update and now have 6 gigs of memory running in a tri-channel mode, woohoo!

I am having another issue maybe someone can point me to a solution, seems this issue has occurred a lot. When I select Shutdown in Win7, my power light is still on and it is possibly in a sleep or hibernate state. Where is the setting to adjust this stuff, is it a BIOS setting or OS setting?

Well back for advice...

I'm still experiencing issues with the motherboard recognizing the memory, it sometimes shows 6 gig, or 4 gig, or 2 gig during post AND once in Win7. Sometimes, the POST memory test doesn't even show up which seems weird. I'm using G-Skill 2 gig x 3 sticks of memory, part # F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ. At any rate, I checked on Gigabytes website,and the memory I purchased from Newegg is DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 and is not on their approved memory list located here:

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-x58a-ud3r.pdf

Interesting as well is that the motherboard boots with the memory clocked at 1066 even though the memory is rated at 1600 mhz... the BIOS is set to recognize the memory by speed I believe, so why would it clock slower?

• Bottom line, the memory I have installed is not on Gigabyte's "approved" memory listed I have linked above.
  • Upon post, the memory is not recognized consistently at any size.
  • I'm experiencing BSOD's on a regular basis, and programs quit or stop responding and Win7 shuts them down.
  • A CPU & Memory gadget installed shows varying memory sizes ranging from 2 to 6 gig depending on what is seen at post.

Should I pull the trigger and RMA this memory back to Newegg and select memory from the approved list?

Could the memory installed be the root cause of all my problems, or is it possible due to the newness of the motherboard that immature BIOS may be the issue?

The Product Specifications for the motherboard manual lists supported memory as:
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules It doesn't even list 1600, though their online approved list does.... should I be targeting DDR3 2200 memory?

Thanks for any advice, this has been very frustrating to say the least!

How are you setting up your memory in the BIOS? Try manually setting the RAM speed, timings, and voltage.

Don't forget that your uncore frequency needs to be twice (2x) your memory frequency (or 2x + 1)

Maybe increase VTT/QPI.

I should mention I'm not overclocking anything at this point, and have not touched memory setting in the bios... the motherboard has a TON of memory tweaking options, and other than speed which is stated as 1600 on the packaging, I don't know what timings and voltages this memory would support and haven't delved into that arena ever.

Hmm, I checked the Properties for "Computer", it shows 6 gigs of memory installed, only 4 gigs "usable"... interesting...

Last edited:
Sometimes the BIOS cannot load the memory profiles correctly, thus manually setting everything is recommended (especially if you are running into issues).

There is no manual with the memory, from the G-Skill website the only info I can pull is this:

CAS Latency: 9-9-9-24-2N
Voltage: 1.5 volts
Speed: 1600

At any rate, I input these settings and the memory is running and mobo is posting... still not seeing the memory size correctly at this point...

Sometimes the BIOS cannot load the memory profiles correctly, thus manually setting everything is recommended (especially if you are running into issues).

Last edited:
Hmm, I checked the Properties for "Computer", it shows 6 gigs of memory installed, only 4 gigs "usable"... interesting...

What OS are you using? In Windows, you'll need to use a 64-bit OS to use more than 4GB of memory.

OK, so that's not the problem. I've been seeing lots of issues with memory on these Gigabyte boards. not good for me since I just finished assembling mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I noticed there is a new BIOS out that lists "Memory Compatibility" as the fix, so I might just flash to that one right away.

I did flash to the F3 bios and still have issues... one thing to note, the G-Skill memory I'm using is not on their QVL list. I'm RMA'ing this memory to Newegg and trying something that is listed.

I've got one of these arriving from Newegg next week, paired with 12GB of Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM (HX3X12G1600C9G), which also isn't on the recommended list. Will let you know how that works out.

After my less than satisfactory use of G-Skill memory,I did purchase some better memory which is G-Skill as well:

G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD - Retail

I hope this works better than what I have currently, and is probably the first step in troubleshooting. This morning, I had my side cover off, and some of the LED's are lighting, such as the one showing Memory Overvoltage, which is weird, since I have not changed any voltage at all. I did adjust some of the timings to what my current memory is rated at, but not voltage.

It's normal for the LEDs to light up a little at stock voltages, I think, because they did for me as well.

It just seemed a bit abnormal because the LED's haven't lit up before... The DDR voltage is on the red LED, and the CPU voltage LED is on yellow. I haven't changed any voltages or overclocked yet... all I did was adjust the timings on the memory and bumped up the memory from 1066 to 1600 which is its rated spec.

Well, after a weekend of BSOD's, I removed 2 of the 3 sticks of memory and am waiting for the "approved" memory from the Gigabtye QVL list to get here. I ran the Windows diagnostic tests and did fail them indicating a memory issue.

One question related, where does one access the BSOD log files to further determine that my diagnosis is correct?

Well I've got my X58A-UD3R up and running, but I'm also having similar memory issues. I'll copy/paste from another thread I posted:

I have also been having this same problem on my new X58 build. I have all 6 slots filled with 2GB DIMMs. What I've found is that the motherboard isn't detecting the SPD information for Channel A (and much less frequenty Channel B). When this happens the memory is detected but is listed under Win7 as "Hardware Reserved". Also I can tell this is going to happen on boot because the amount of memory listed on POST is either 8GB or 4GB. If I then go into the BIOS setup the "auto" settings for the undetected bank are listed as "-". Not sure what the hell is going on, but it's annoying for sure. It seems there are a lot of people having similar problems.

This is what Windows Resource Manager will show when a bank is undetected:
Resource_Manager_Win7_Memory.jpg

Interesting 4x4, what site did you grab that info? Also, is your memory on Gigabyte's Qualified Vendor List? I just upgraded memory in the hopes that I see all my memory when the new stuff is installed.

If not, I may have to RMA this motherboard which I hate to do as I do like it other than the problems I've experienced.

BTW, thanks for the page link Primus :)

I grabbed that info from my head :D

After a lot of reading here and on other sites I've gotten all kinds of theories. Bent motherboards, bent socket pins, bad DIMMs, bad BIOS, Non-QVL memory, etc.

Ah, I should have read your original post closer, I didn't realize that was your screenshot :) I sure hope to resolve this issue...

I just ordered this motherboard with G.Skill DDR1600 ripjaw ram. It isn't on the approved list either. I got both from Newegg. Is it OK to test the ram to see if it works with the board, and if it doesn't RMA it, or should I just RMA it and get something from the approved list? The list of approved memory for this mb is pretty small, I can't believe that what they have listed is the only thing that will work without problems.
Milehigh, how is your approved ram working?

I have high hopes for the Corsair RAM I got. Just put together a slightly less-beefy rig for a friend with the Gigabyte P55A-UD3 using the exact same RAM (also not on the QVL for that board), and it works spectacularly.

What I'm hoping is that this is an issue Gigabyte can fix with a BIOS update eventually.

No doubt, from what I've read this same issue has been mentioned on other gigabyte boards... makes one wonder what is going on with their product lines.

I submitted a tech request on the gigabyte web site late last week, and no response yet... they seem to be slow to respond.

It does seem that Gigabyte has some memory issues. I had some problems with my WHS and memory, but Gigabyte eventually fixed the problem with a BIOS update. I'm hopeful for this board as well. It IS rather new...

I never check the QVL list anymore, it is pretty worthless. I have seen RAM that is on the list not work at all and RAM that is not on the list work perfectly. Have you checked what XMP profiles your RAM has with CPU-Z? Chances are it does not have a profile to run at 1600. You may have to set that manually in the bios, but it should work fine.

Actually, I have a 2 gig stick running at 1600 with manual timings which is working fine. Once I add the other two sticks, things get all crazy with BSOD's and reboots. I'm hoping a BIOS update or the new memory I ordered will fix things :)

I never check the QVL list anymore, it is pretty worthless. I have seen RAM that is on the list not work at all and RAM that is not on the list work perfectly. Have you checked what XMP profiles your RAM has with CPU-Z? Chances are it does not have a profile to run at 1600. You may have to set that manually in the bios, but it should work fine.

OK, heres the deal. I took the entire QVL list and tried to match it up to all of Newegg's DDRIII. I came up with one match, Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX. The Corsair that Kyle used to test this MB wasn't in stock (Corsair TR3X6G2000C8GT). So I'm just going to try the G.Skill ripsaw that I ordered. If it causes problems I'll get the Corsair later. Good Luck

I picked up one of these today and have just completed the test bench build. I am in process of running memtest right now. I'm using a 6gb set of Patriot (this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=patriot_6gb_ddr3_1600-_-20-220-363-_-Product).
After a 'longer than I'm used to' delay it posted and I was into the bios, where I enabled XMP and selected profile 1. On restart it appears to detect my 6gb and is showing 1600, so far so good.

One thing that may be causing problems - In the manual when using 3 sticks it says to occupy slots 1, 3, and 5 which are the white slots - which is a little counterintuitive since most people (myself included) may assume that you use the blue slots first.
If having problems and your using the blue slots first instead perhaps swapping slots may help? I dunno just throwing that out there.
25 mins into memtest and no errors so far. Ill update how this initial memtest works out but I'll be out of town the next few days and wont be able to do much more with this build until this weekend as far as installing OS and doing some serious testing.

Actually, there was one at the top of the QVL list that Newegg carries:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231254&Tpk=F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

This is the stuff I ordered, so I'll report back as well :)

One question, the manual and how they named the memory slots is goofy.... from left to right they are 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5. If I'm reading correctly, with 3 sticks of memory, one should be using the WHITE slots, am I reading straight?

OK, heres the deal. I took the entire QVL list and tried to match it up to all of Newegg's DDRIII. I came up with one match, Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX. The Corsair that Kyle used to test this MB wasn't in stock (Corsair TR3X6G2000C8GT). So I'm just going to try the G.Skill ripsaw that I ordered. If it causes problems I'll get the Corsair later. Good Luck

Memtest passed. 3 sticks in the white slots.
Not going to have time to mess around with OS install or any o/cing until this weekend at earliest. Will try and update later if I run into any problems.

edit to add this is using the shipped bios F1.

Last edited:
Back